PDA

View Full Version : Cracking open headlights to mod

AudiGuy
02-12-2014, 08:28 AM
I'm in search of a solution for the chrome headlight issue. But I don't think that buying a set of turbo headlights is necessary. I did quite an extensive build to my headlights in the TT. My only obstacle will be IF they can be opened without breaking them.. I have seen people do "angel eyes" in these headlights, so it must be possible.. right? There are a few things I can do to make the over bug eyed look tone down a bit. But first I need to tackle the disassembly. Any thoughts on this topic would be greatly appreciated. If I can get in there I will do a write up on the process.

Abarth67
02-12-2014, 10:26 AM
I'll be watching this one. Already have 500T tails, need to do something about the headlights.

I'm in search of a solution for the chrome headlight issue. But I don't think that buying a set of turbo headlights is necessary. I did quite an extensive build to my headlights in the TT. My only obstacle will be IF they can be opened without breaking them.. I have seen people do "angel eyes" in these headlights, so it must be possible.. right? There are a few things I can do to make the over bug eyed look tone down a bit. But first I need to tackle the disassembly. Any thoughts on this topic would be greatly appreciated. If I can get in there I will do a write up on the process.

AudiGuy
02-12-2014, 11:16 AM
I'll be watching this one. Already have 500T tails, need to do something about the headlights.

I was hoping someone had been inside these things already... But thats ok. Sometimes you gotta break stuff.

nyc eng
02-12-2014, 11:56 AM
I was hoping someone had been inside these things already... But thats ok. Sometimes you gotta break stuff.

There's a guy, on another forum, in the midst of an projector replacement project and he said they're permasealed which is unlike the TT housings and more difficult to contend with. He opened a headlight up and said it was a pain in the ass. TYC makes headlights which I read are easier to open up so I might be buying a set of those for the projector project I'm going to do. I'm just waiting to see if the Bosch E46 projectors install with ease.

shadowshaggy
02-12-2014, 12:00 PM
Oven at 200ish degrees: pull out slightly, bake some more, pluu some more, rinse and repeat is what I keep hearing.

Obviously don't rinse it....

Andree
02-12-2014, 12:03 PM

Here's a link to the halo ring light additions at CarID, where they have instructions (general) and a video (general).
http://www.carid.com/universal-headlights/lumen-led-halo-rings-15856330.html

Shows heating up the light and the glue will soften. But that only applies if it's that kind of glue.

AudiGuy
02-12-2014, 12:36 PM
Here's a link to the halo ring light additions at CarID, where they have instructions (general) and a video (general).
http://www.carid.com/universal-headlights/lumen-led-halo-rings-15856330.html

Shows heating up the light and the glue will soften. But that only applies if it's that kind of glue.

Im probably going to have to give this a shot.

FTY
02-12-2014, 12:59 PM
Hit Bryan up at NGEN, I think he has done this before!

AudiGuy
02-12-2014, 01:09 PM
Hit Bryan up at NGEN, I think he has done this before!
Thanks, just did.

Tweak
02-12-2014, 04:04 PM
Edited the title, just happen to see you made a note in your edit...usually wouldn't notice that and a Report or PM would have been needed. :cool: I was going to mention several things already mentioned here so I guess other than that I ave nothing to add.

AudiGuy
02-12-2014, 04:44 PM
Edited the title, just happen to see you made a note in your edit...usually wouldn't notice that and a Report or PM would have been needed. :cool: I was going to mention several things already mentioned here so I guess other than that I ave nothing to add.

lol, thanks. Wasnt a big deal. But it was making my OCD act up :)

AudiGuy
02-12-2014, 06:12 PM
Oven at 200ish degrees: pull out slightly, bake some more, pluu some more, rinse and repeat is what I keep hearing.

Obviously don't rinse it....

As I submerge my headlights..

Yeah I'm probably going to use a hair dryer. They get hot enough that it should work.

Tweak
02-12-2014, 08:11 PM
it was making my OCD act up :)

I'll put it back...lol. :p

NGEN
02-13-2014, 12:44 AM
As I submerge my headlights..

Yeah I'm probably going to use a hair dryer. They get hot enough that it should work.

I wouldn't count on it... Trust me

Tweak
02-13-2014, 01:37 AM

Def sounds like a lesson learnt through experience Bryan. :D

SCIENCE
02-13-2014, 02:59 AM
There's a guy, on another forum, in the midst of an projector replacement project and he said they're permasealed which is unlike the TT housings and more difficult to contend with. He opened a headlight up and said it was a pain in the ass. TYC makes headlights which I read are easier to open up so I might be buying a set of those for the projector project I'm going to do. I'm just waiting to see if the Bosch E46 projectors install with ease.

Hey, that would be me!

They are indeed permasealed. And this permaseal is particularly stubborn. Going at it with a hair drier will not work. Oven at 200F will not work. I recommend 265F-285F for 15-20 minutes at a time. You're going to need multiple heat cycles. It's not easy, trust me. You absolutely have to be patient or you will ruin your light. To do it right with these, I don't see it being possible in under 3-4 hours with the heating time included. The TYC housings should be sealed with butyl, which is much easier to work with. I just ordered a pair of them, and if you can wait a week or so, I'd be happy to confirm whether they are butyl or not. I'd hate to see someone ruin a perfectly good OEM headlight.

AudiGuy
02-13-2014, 07:54 AM

Lol, yeah I got your PM. And I think that your reluctance to share info on the process, is a product of your own GREED. This is a community forum. Communities like this are about sharing knowledge and information. So I'm going to have to decline your offer to do my headlights. I don't pay to have someone do something I can do myself. Nor will I EVER be doing business with you. To that, I will do this headlight mod on my own. And I will be sharing this info with the community (the way it should be done). You don't deserve my business.

AudiGuy
02-13-2014, 08:04 AM
Hey, that would be me!

They are indeed permasealed. And this permaseal is particularly stubborn. Going at it with a hair drier will not work. Oven at 200F will not work. I recommend 265F-285F for 15-20 minutes at a time. You're going to need multiple heat cycles. It's not easy, trust me. You absolutely have to be patient or you will ruin your light. To do it right with these, I don't see it being possible in under 3-4 hours with the heating time included. The TYC housings should be sealed with butyl, which is much easier to work with. I just ordered a pair of them, and if you can wait a week or so, I'd be happy to confirm whether they are butyl or not. I'd hate to see someone ruin a perfectly good OEM headlight.

Thanks for taking the time to share that info. That's what the community is all about :beer:

My boys own a body shop. I'll see how much they pay for TYC lights.

Tweak
02-13-2014, 12:11 PM
Hey, that would be me!

Welcome to the forum SCIENCE, again good luck with your ongoing HID retrofit. :)

shadowshaggy
02-13-2014, 12:36 PM
I think we all need to finish off our Haterade and calm down a little, NGenFiat kinda sells these things and everyone's gotta make a living. Do I agree 100% with the price, not so much; do I want to do it myself and would rather pay someone that provides a warranty with leakage - yeah I'd way rather do that one.

NGenFiat, not hating on you at all here - the stuff looks great in pics, haven't seen them in person yet. I feel that $550 for a set of build to order lights is reasonable, and there's a $120 core now I believe - so $430 for a build to order set of lights. If it takes, for example, 5 hours x shop labor to disassemble/reassemble + paint/materials = $430 (effectively). I think you'll find that price right guys, I really do. If I had $430 to spend right now, I'd have a set of Rame/Nero headlights installed in my car 100%.

No one ever said looking this good was cheap - look at nojeebs 3k set of wheels that makes me happy in certain places; the purple ones not those teal ones.

BACK ON TOPIC NOW Good luck AudiGuy with sorting this out, would love to be able to do this myself; but I'm lazy like that and don't want to tear into a set of headlights that don't want to come apart.

shadowshaggy
02-13-2014, 12:37 PM
Thanks for taking the time to share that info. That's what the community is all about :beer:

My boys own a body shop. I'll see how much they pay for TYC lights.

This would definitely be interesting to see how it turns out, hmm....

AudiGuy
02-13-2014, 12:46 PM
I think we all need to finish off our Haterade and calm down a little, NGenFiat kinda sells these things and everyone's gotta make a living. Do I agree 100% with the price, not so much; do I want to do it myself and would rather pay someone that provides a warranty with leakage - yeah I'd way rather do that one.

NGenFiat, not hating on you at all here - the stuff looks great in pics, haven't seen them in person yet. I feel that $550 for a set of build to order lights is reasonable, and there's a $120 core now I believe - so $430 for a build to order set of lights. If it takes, for example, 5 hours x shop labor to disassemble/reassemble + paint/materials = $430 (effectively). I think you'll find that price right guys, I really do. If I had $430 to spend right now, I'd have a set of Rame/Nero headlights installed in my car 100%.

No one ever said looking this good was cheap - look at nojeebs 3k set of wheels that makes me happy in certain places; the purple ones not those teal ones.

BACK ON TOPIC NOW Good luck AudiGuy with sorting this out, would love to be able to do this myself; but I'm lazy like that and don't want to tear into a set of headlights that don't want to come apart.

Honestly, Im not asking for work or parts for free. What I asked for was some insight on opening the headlights. There is no proprietary loss or ownership on their end. So why not tell people how they can open these lights? Seems like a good reason to go elsewhere with my business. Everyone has to make a living. But withholding information for the sake of making a buck just looks bad. Im done with the topic. Just wanted people to know where I was coming from.

shadowshaggy
02-13-2014, 12:59 PM
Let us know how the TYC lights work out with the boys, interested to know :)

AudiGuy
02-13-2014, 01:02 PM
Let us know how the TYC lights work out with the boys, interested to know :)
sending them a text now..

nojeebs
02-13-2014, 01:10 PM
Shadowshaggy...hahaha respect though. Anyway looking forward to what method you figure out AudiGuy. Really loving your dedication to the boards. Refreshing. :)

AudiGuy
02-13-2014, 01:12 PM
Shadowshaggy...hahaha respect though. Anyway looking forward to what method you figure out AudiGuy. Really loving your dedication to the boards. Refreshing. :)

Thanks man. Hopefully I can give people a few options on things they havent seen before.

Your wheels make my pants tight..

shadowshaggy
02-13-2014, 01:16 PM
+1.......

NGEN
02-13-2014, 01:22 PM
AudiGuy,

This is a product/service that we sell. Why would we want to release information on how we do that? We took the time to figure it out. If someone else figures it out on their own than so be it. What's next? Are you going to ask RoadRace how they configure their tuning in their Ultimate box so you can buy the hardware yourself and attempt to copy it? Or Madness V2? Do you go to Mcdonalds and ask them how they make their fries so you can make them at home yourself? It's the same thing. They spent the time and money developing those products so they should reap the benefits by selling it to the public. I can appreciate your DIY approach to as much as possible and can respect your response to this being a community for knowledge and information for Fiats. However, I am a paying vendor (I pay monthly so I can advertise the products we offer) just like RRM, Madness, EC, etc.

I am sure many will agree as well as the vendors on my response. I offered my services to you as an alternative to doing it yourself. You declined and that is fine. I wish you luck but you will probably end up spending the same amount from trial and error as opposed to us doing it, maybe less, maybe more.

AudiGuy
02-13-2014, 01:33 PM
AudiGuy,

This is a product/service that we sell. Why would we want to release information on how we do that? We took the time to figure it out. If someone else figures it out on their own than so be it. What's next? Are you going to ask RoadRace how they configure their tuning in their Ultimate box so you can buy the hardware yourself and attempt to copy it? Or Madness V2? Do you go to Mcdonalds and ask them how they make their fries so you can make them at home yourself? It's the same thing. They spent the time and money developing those products so they should reap the benefits by selling it to the public. I can appreciate your DIY approach to as much as possible and can respect your response to this being a community for knowledge and information for Fiats. However, I am a paying vendor (I pay monthly so I can advertise the products we offer) just like RRM, Madness, EC, etc.

I am sure many will agree as well as the vendors on my response. I offered my services to you as an alternative to doing it yourself. You declined and that is fine. I wish you luck but you will probably end up spending the same amount from trial and error as opposed to us doing it, maybe less, maybe more.

Sorry, but your treating opening of headlights like it is proprietary information. Your not inventing anything or even MAKING anything. To compare what you do to making a tune, etc., is shameful. Sorry, but you are clearly missing the point. Nobody was trying to take food from your mouth, or business from you. It was a simple question. Which you chose to balk at and try to turn into a sale. Im not knocking you for trying to pay the bills. But dont act like youve reinvented the wheel.

Knowledge is the only thing that is FREE, but at the same time invaluable. Knowledge is power, therefore sharing knowledge is empowering. If that doesnt make sense to you, community shouldnt be a part of your vocabulary.

Fiat500USA
02-13-2014, 02:03 PM
Wow, seems like we're going a little overboard with this. Bryan has been a Fiat enthusiast and has been a positive community member here for a long time. He is helpful and also a nice guy. It's not a hobby, but makes his living doing this, so I think it's understandable that he politely declined to share how he does what he does. It doesn't seem right to make him into a bad person. That's not what we do here.

AudiGuy
02-13-2014, 02:16 PM
Wow, seems like we're going a little overboard with this. Bryan has been a Fiat enthusiast and has been a positive community member here for a long time. He is helpful and also a nice guy. It's not a hobby, but makes his living doing this, so I think it's understandable that he politely declined to share how he does what he does. It doesn't seem right to make him into a bad person. That's not what we do here.

Im not portraying him as anything. Im just stating what happened in the course of events, and my opinion on it.

Andree
02-13-2014, 03:46 PM
It's a bit different on this forum than it is on other forums. We have forum members, and we have forum sponsors. The latter may or may not sell products or services on the forum. They may have special deals or not, for members on the forum.

Some members may be into do-it-yourself. Other members prefer to have it done by professionals.

Some folks are chatty and will talk about anything. Others are very to-the-point. And the majority of people right now on this forum are reading, browsing, and not members at all, they're guests (hi there Guests!!!):
There are currently 2727 users online. 250 members and 2477 guests

The people who like to chat, want to share, have an idea, will probably post in the thread if they see it. People will JOIN the forum to add to a discussion, as we've already seen in this very thread. And that's exactly why I joined too, to add something to an existing thread.

It's the entire basis of Wikipedia. Those who know better than what was posted will add in the correct information. NGenFiat did add in some information to the thread. And I'd added some info in the form of a video of opening headlights. The temperature mentioned in the video was 500 degrees. What you need to use will depend on what is holding it together, and NGenFiat said the blowdryer won't work.

Out of curiosity, I've pulled up a heat gun:
http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-watt-dual-temperature-heat-gun-572-1112-96289.html (randomly chosen via Google search). Temps mentioned are 500 and 1,000 degrees. I'm pretty sure that high setting on my head would leave it golden brown with a deliciously crispy skin.

Heat tool throw down: https://www.masterappliance.com/blog/tool-tips-miscellaneous/12-10-31/heat-gun-vs-hair-dryer-heat-tool-throw-down

So, based upon just this info, NGenFiat gave you super important info. The tip off was in the video that I'd posted. They use a heat gun. Not a blow dryer. NGenFiat may have tried a blow dryer, and setting it on the HVAC heating vent on the floor, and sautéing the headlight in a non-stick pan.

There probably is no secret tip that pops off the lens in a minute. Because the guy in the video would have shown it, to make people buy the diy products.

There are YouTube videos on the subject:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=remove+headlight+lens&sm=1

People who want to share, will. They post videos on the subject. If someone doesn't want to give you all their info, they shouldn't be put down because of it. Just my opinion.

AudiGuy
02-13-2014, 04:00 PM
It's a bit different on this forum than it is on other forums. We have forum members, and we have forum sponsors. The latter may or may not sell products or services on the forum. They may have special deals or not, for members on the forum.

Some members may be into do-it-yourself. Other members prefer to have it done by professionals.

Some folks are chatty and will talk about anything. Others are very to-the-point. And the majority of people right now on this forum are reading, browsing, and not members at all, they're guests (hi there Guests!!!):
There are currently 2727 users online. 250 members and 2477 guests

The people who like to chat, want to share, have an idea, will probably post in the thread if they see it. People will JOIN the forum to add to a discussion, as we've already seen in this very thread. And that's exactly why I joined too, to add something to an existing thread.

It's the entire basis of Wikipedia. Those who know better than what was posted will add in the correct information. NGenFiat did add in some information to the thread. And I'd added some info in the form of a video of opening headlights. The temperature mentioned in the video was 500 degrees. What you need to use will depend on what is holding it together, and NGenFiat said the blowdryer won't work.

Out of curiosity, I've pulled up a heat gun:
http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-watt-dual-temperature-heat-gun-572-1112-96289.html (randomly chosen via Google search). Temps mentioned are 500 and 1,000 degrees. I'm pretty sure that high setting on my head would leave it golden brown with a deliciously crispy skin.

Heat tool throw down: https://www.masterappliance.com/blog/tool-tips-miscellaneous/12-10-31/heat-gun-vs-hair-dryer-heat-tool-throw-down

So, based upon just this info, NGenFiat gave you super important info. The tip off was in the video that I'd posted. They use a heat gun. Not a blow dryer. NGenFiat may have tried a blow dryer, and setting it on the HVAC heating vent on the floor, and sautéing the headlight in a non-stick pan.

There probably is no secret tip that pops off the lens in a minute. Because the guy in the video would have shown it, to make people buy the diy products.

There are YouTube videos on the subject:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=remove+headlight+lens&sm=1

People who want to share, will. They post videos on the subject. If someone doesn't want to give you all their info, they shouldn't be put down because of it. Just my opinion.

I understand where you are coming from. But its important to keep in mind that the Community is a collective of people and information. That is the spirit in which forums like this are started; To share and learn from others. Its ok to make money from the Fiat scene, I have no problem with that. If I were selling a service, I would let people know what is involved in the process, and allow them the choice of sending said item to me if they arent comfortable doing it themselves, or giving it a shot on their own. Of course their are a percentage of the communtiy that dont feel comfortable doing something like this. THOSE are the people that shoud be potential business for companies like NGen. Im not taking it personally, but I do think that withholding information only to make money (not proprietary in nature), is a sign of greed. And it reflects poorly on a community that is inherently a collective of minds and ideas.

Those of us that are intimidated by a project, only feel that way because they havent tried yet (usually). Everyone has to start somewhere. As a community, its up to the ones that can, to teach the ones that could..., but are too afraid to try.

Andree
02-13-2014, 05:45 PM
I understand where you are coming from. But its important to keep in mind that the Community is a collective of people and information. That is the spirit in which forums like this are started; To share and learn from others. Its ok to make money from the Fiat scene, I have no problem with that. If I were selling a service, I would let people know what is involved in the process, and allow them the choice of sending said item to me if they arent comfortable doing it themselves, or giving it a shot on their own. Of course their are a percentage of the communtiy that dont feel comfortable doing something like this. THOSE are the people that shoud be potential business for companies like NGen. Im not taking it personally, but I do think that withholding information only to make money (not proprietary in nature), is a sign of greed. And it reflects poorly on a community that is inherently a collective of minds and ideas.

Those of us that are intimidated by a project, only feel that way because they havent tried yet (usually). Everyone has to start somewhere. As a community, its up to the ones that can, to teach the ones that could..., but are too afraid to try.

I will have to get out a story. I don't have kids, so I take every opportunity to pass down my wisdom (bore people to tears) with stories from my past. Sometimes the stories even relate to the topic at hand. This one doesn't. Directly.

When I was younger I started to learn to cook. Everyone has to start somewhere, and so I did. I'd already been taught basics, in seventh grade, thanks to our intermediate school back when schools had funding, and the cooking class.

I practiced what I knew, learned about things I didn't know, and tried recipes. Some are simple. Some are not. I didn't have speciality tools, extensive knowledge, but I tried.

Sometimes when the hubby and I would go out to dinner, we'd ask about various items. Things we really liked, and wanted to have again at home. Many times it turned out to be a prepared item that they bought in bulk. We aren't talking super fancy restaurant, where everything is made from scratch. And we'd make arrangements to buy the gallon of horseradish with the restaurant. We didn't stop going to the restaurant. But we did try out horseradish on absolutely everything and enjoyed it.

I got good enough to be able to pick out various herbs and spices by taste and scent. So that we'd go out for some big feast, and I could figure out for the most part on what was in it. And I had developed enough skills to be able to cook it.

At the restaurant, it takes 15 minutes or more, but they have most of it prepared as it needs to be. Sauces heated or simmered. Things had already been boiled, tenderized, deboned, etc. It took me all day to make the same meal, using what tools I had, and what I thought would work. It was pretty good too. Not quite the same as the restaurant. But pretty good for no recipe and guessing.

But you have to GET to that point before you can start guessing and improvising. It all starts off with licking the beaters. Then onto the measuring spoons, and measuring cups. Making many box cake mixes, condensed soup cans, meal-in-a-bag-just-heat-and-serve, until they're perfect.

And it's not easy when first starting, as I recall watching a friend make up a box cake mix, and forgetting the egg. All you had to do was add water and an egg. It wasn't very good. She learned. She probably never forgot the egg again.

It took me many tries to get hollandaise sauce right. I kept ending up with scrambled eggs. I was making Eggs Benedict. Like here:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/hollandaise-sauce-recipe.html

I went through a lot of eggs.

Here are the parts that relate:

How many headlights are you prepared to go through before you get it right?
Do you already have the basic skills and tools to make a sincere effort?

Anyone here could do the hollandaise sauce or the light take-apart. But a whole bunch of people would need to start by learning basic skills. Having basic tool knowledge and having the right tools. I don't have the physical strength to pull apart anything, I can't even open the ground coffee bag that is sealed at the top without really struggling. I often just cut off the top with scissors. So I might not only need to strengthen up, but I might need some hand and elbow surgery before being able to attempt to pull apart the light housing.

The light isn't something I'd attempt, at all where I'm at, in my stage of tools and knowledge and strength.

What you can do is view all the videos on YouTube. Read up on any tips people have posted online. Maybe even going to a junkyard and buy some headlights that you will have to remove while you're there. That's good training. You learn how to take the things out with the tools you have. Doesn't even have to be a Fiat. Practice taking out any lights and buy them to take home to familiarize yourself with the technique.

You can then practice other things, like painting or making slots like they did in the halo ring video. Practice makes perfect.

Remember the egg. Remember you may break a lot of eggs in order to get the sauce just right.

AudiGuy
02-13-2014, 06:30 PM
I will have to get out a story. I don't have kids, so I take every opportunity to pass down my wisdom (bore people to tears) with stories from my past. Sometimes the stories even relate to the topic at hand. This one doesn't. Directly.

When I was younger I started to learn to cook. Everyone has to start somewhere, and so I did. I'd already been taught basics, in seventh grade, thanks to our intermediate school back when schools had funding, and the cooking class.

I practiced what I knew, learned about things I didn't know, and tried recipes. Some are simple. Some are not. I didn't have speciality tools, extensive knowledge, but I tried.

Sometimes when the hubby and I would go out to dinner, we'd ask about various items. Things we really liked, and wanted to have again at home. Many times it turned out to be a prepared item that they bought in bulk. We aren't talking super fancy restaurant, where everything is made from scratch. And we'd make arrangements to buy the gallon of horseradish with the restaurant. We didn't stop going to the restaurant. But we did try out horseradish on absolutely everything and enjoyed it.

I got good enough to be able to pick out various herbs and spices by taste and scent. So that we'd go out for some big feast, and I could figure out for the most part on what was in it. And I had developed enough skills to be able to cook it.

At the restaurant, it takes 15 minutes or more, but they have most of it prepared as it needs to be. Sauces heated or simmered. Things had already been boiled, tenderized, deboned, etc. It took me all day to make the same meal, using what tools I had, and what I thought would work. It was pretty good too. Not quite the same as the restaurant. But pretty good for no recipe and guessing.

But you have to GET to that point before you can start guessing and improvising. It all starts off with licking the beaters. Then onto the measuring spoons, and measuring cups. Making many box cake mixes, condensed soup cans, meal-in-a-bag-just-heat-and-serve, until they're perfect.

And it's not easy when first starting, as I recall watching a friend make up a box cake mix, and forgetting the egg. All you had to do was add water and an egg. It wasn't very good. She learned. She probably never forgot the egg again.

It took me many tries to get hollandaise sauce right. I kept ending up with scrambled eggs. I was making Eggs Benedict. Like here:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/hollandaise-sauce-recipe.html

I went through a lot of eggs.

Here are the parts that relate:

How many headlights are you prepared to go through before you get it right?
Do you already have the basic skills and tools to make a sincere effort?

Anyone here could do the hollandaise sauce or the light take-apart. But a whole bunch of people would need to start by learning basic skills. Having basic tool knowledge and having the right tools. I don't have the physical strength to pull apart anything, I can't even open the ground coffee bag that is sealed at the top without really struggling. I often just cut off the top with scissors. So I might not only need to strengthen up, but I might need some hand and elbow surgery before being able to attempt to pull apart the light housing.

The light isn't something I'd attempt, at all where I'm at, in my stage of tools and knowledge and strength.

What you can do is view all the videos on YouTube. Read up on any tips people have posted online. Maybe even going to a junkyard and buy some headlights that you will have to remove while you're there. That's good training. You learn how to take the things out with the tools you have. Doesn't even have to be a Fiat. Practice taking out any lights and buy them to take home to familiarize yourself with the technique.

You can then practice other things, like painting or making slots like they did in the halo ring video. Practice makes perfect.

Remember the egg. Remember you may break a lot of eggs in order to get the sauce just right.

I would say that my knowledge, skills and abilities are sufficent for the job. But this wasn't always the case. I started my mechanical learning by simply wanting to involve myself and learn. I have broken MORE than my share of things. But sometimes that's what it takes to drill that process into your head, and make it second nature. People tend to fear what they don't know. In this case, people might be afraid to break their headlights.. That would suck! But in the long run, so what..? The headlights that were on my last car were almost $1000 EACH. And I have taken TT headlights further than anyone (ever, I think).

My point is; you can't let the fear of failure stop you from the creative/learning process. The reward comes from doing it, and making it work. Maybe it takes you 2, 3, 4 times to get it right..? But in the end, you will have added a skill/task to your bag of tricks. What this does is 2 fold. 1.) You're learning something new! 2.) You are setting your self up mentally for SUCCESS! By overcoming obstacles, you're burning that pattern of success into your brain! That makes you less likely to chicken out on the next project. Little wins build up to an even larger overall win.

DIY all day, everyday

When I first started working on the TT, it was a little daunting. There are a lot of things that are difficult to get to.

For instance, the wastegate actuator and exhaust manifold on the TT are a NIGHTMARE to get to. I paid a shop over $500 to swap out the wastegate (over 4 hours by the book). I also paid the same shop over $400 to replace the turbo to manifold gasket (another 4 hours). But some 2-3 years later, I can do both jobs in under 45min. Why? Because I made it my business to LEARN. Nothing is guaranteed! Other than the fact that you'll probably break something. But If I break something, but a new trick goes in the bag, I consider it a win.

ophidia31
02-13-2014, 08:47 PM
Are the TYC lights regular bucket halogens or are they the projector style halogen? I would like to see the stock projectors retrofitted with better projectors. Mainly to get rid of thats ****ty pimpled lense. Couldnt believe that when I looked at them. Why the hell would you do that? Just f's up the output. But if the tyc lights are regular bucket lights, ill pass. Retrofits in buckets look like garbage.

AudiGuy
02-13-2014, 09:17 PM
Are the TYC lights regular bucket halogens or are they the projector style halogen? I would like to see the stock projectors retrofitted with better projectors. Mainly to get rid of thats ****ty pimpled lense. Couldnt believe that when I looked at them. Why the hell would you do that? Just f's up the output. But if the tyc lights are regular bucket lights, ill pass. Retrofits in buckets look like garbage.
Not sure yet. This project is pretty far down on my list. But I'll get there. I'm not really concerned with better lighting. I'm more concerned with the aesthetic value. I don't find them lacking at all in output. Ugly..? Yeah

SCIENCE
02-13-2014, 09:28 PM

The TYC headlights come with projectors. What's to be seen is whether the mounting holes are the same as the OEM projectors. I imagine they are, but I won't know for sure until I get mine in. And the lenses are a mix between fresnel and par can lenses. They have many advantages and they're used in many applications. I worked with them a lot when I was a lighting engineer for a college theatre. Used these lenses with HID, LED, and halogen lighting. They may not look cool to you, but that doesn't make them useless.

I tried to link to my retrofit thread, but I guess it isn't allowed as my post wasn't... posted. So sometime soon I'll get around to reposting all of my stuff onto this forum.

Tweak
02-13-2014, 09:48 PM
Sorry but removed the "other" forums link. I do appreciate you making these posts and hope you decided to share on both (as mentioned). I also think it is great you are making this mod, there will be a lot that will appreciate it I assure you!

SCIENCE
02-13-2014, 10:08 PM
Sorry but removed the "other" forums link. I do appreciate you making these posts and hope you decided to share on both (as mentioned). I also think it is great you are making this mod, there will be a lot that will appreciate it I assure you!

Thanks Tweak, I figured that's what it was. I just finished remaking the thread. Here it is!

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?14037-HID-Projector-Retrofit-(In-progress)

Tweak
02-13-2014, 10:23 PM
Thanks Tweak, I figured that's what it was. I just finished remaking the thread. Here it is!

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?14037-HID-Projector-Retrofit-(In-progress)

I saw the new post, much appreciated and I echo the comments left by Shawn there. :) It is also a sticky now obviously.