PDA

View Full Version : Headrest insert DIY for Abarths

shadowshaggy
02-11-2014, 12:06 AM
9780 if you wanna end up with this rather than silver:

You have to GENTLY grab either side in the front, gently pry one side up - then the other - back & forth 2-3 times then it'll come up.

The rear is easy:

There are 4 torx (t15 or t20 don't remember) two top and two bottom (pictured), and then the rear comes right out.

Be careful when painting, the inner most part will have bad dry spray if you're not careful. It will run like a boss too, so be patient.

Any questions etc, let me know. This went pretty well, and it's rather expensive to do Rame - Any other Fiat color is quite less expensive.

phade
02-11-2014, 12:22 AM
This is an awesome and simple DIY! Might have to do mine in Rosso.

AudiGuy
02-11-2014, 08:05 AM
I'm thinking about sending mine out to my buddy for a cf treatment. I want to pull the steering wheel trim and do that too.
Thanks

BigT
02-11-2014, 09:35 AM
Wonder how easy it would be for a vinyl shop to lay down some dry carbon look vinyl overlays on these pieces. My other thoughts were to paint them high gloss black.

AudiGuy
02-11-2014, 11:20 PM
Wonder how easy it would be for a vinyl shop to lay down some dry carbon look vinyl overlays on these pieces. My other thoughts were to paint them high gloss black.

Do that yourself! Just pull these off, buy your vinyl and a hair dryer, and learn the rewarding way. There really is no reason to pay someone to do that job. The more stuff you start pulling apart, the easier it is to dive in.

shadowshaggy
02-11-2014, 11:26 PM

Order a piece off eBay - takes 2 minutes per side to remove and 20 minutes to experiment :)

Have a spare set to send? I'll give it a shot for you, tons of vinyl experience.

Tweak
02-12-2014, 12:32 AM
Okay, I get this is a DIY for the Abarth but we have a DIY area, it isn't under Abarth but it is there and to better stay organized I moved this there and made it a sticky.

Anyone want to help locate other well typed out step-by-step instructions with pictures that would best be there please either PM me the links or Report the post and note that it is a DIY that should be moved. As I notice them I will move them as well, if Chris feels it best perhaps we can move the DIY to another area for better exposure but for now let's just go with this plan for now. Thanks!

WindMeUp
04-11-2014, 03:34 PM
I did this on my Abarth a couple of days ago. I had to have my hood repainted due to a poor windshield installation and I figured I might as well have the shop spray these while they had the paint loaded in the gun.

Removing the inserts was a bit sketchy, I lightly pried up each side with my fingers and worked it back and forth until they came out. They make snapping sounds and one clip actually did break on one side but it didn't have any effect on the re-install after they were painted.

Tweak
04-11-2014, 05:46 PM
Nice simple mod to make.

Also, it is possible without breaking clips... http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?13968-Headrest-insert-DIY-for-Abarths

shadowshaggy
04-11-2014, 05:50 PM
Lol you posted a link to this thread ^ silly Tweak

Tweak
04-11-2014, 06:18 PM
Lol you posted a link to this thread ^ silly Tweak

Yep, just making it clear breaking does NOT have to happen. ;)

Plus there is a bit of silly lately and I am enjoying it... for example http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?15073-Leak-Installed-FMIC-and-ATM-gauge/page2