PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Pop and Turbo

Evogelion
02-10-2014, 03:36 PM
In my first Fiat, the standard 500 Pop with manual transmission I got on average around 50mpg on flat terrain.
In the 500T, I get around 35mpg on flat terrain.
Big difference as now I'll be driving more conservatively as I commute. Since the Turbo is pretty much an Abarth without the badges, upgraded suspension and stuff, I assume the Abarth gets about the same as the Turbo.

EliRider
02-10-2014, 03:40 PM
My Abarth averages about 25 to 27 MPG.
My daily drive is about 35 minutes on a beautiful Oregon country road between Dundee and Hillsboro.

Elevation changes from ~150 ft to 1200 ft over the Chehalem summit.

shadowshaggy
02-10-2014, 03:41 PM
No, the 500T and Abarth have different transmissions - C510 and C514, primary difference is one the Abarth is heavier duty and different gear ratios.

My Abarth gets about 30mpg hwy, and my 500T got 36-38mpg hwy before I got rid of it. That's at 75mph, flat terrain.

Evogelion
02-10-2014, 04:07 PM
No, the 500T and Abarth have different transmissions - C510 and C514, primary difference is one the Abarth is heavier duty and different gear ratios.

My Abarth gets about 30mpg hwy, and my 500T got 36-38mpg hwy before I got rid of it. That's at 75mph, flat terrain.

Interesting, so it was a little like the Evo and the Evo MR. Not going to sweat on the transmission though, I don't plan on pumping huge amounts of whp through that transmission on my 500T.

Ryephile
02-10-2014, 04:49 PM

You sure about that? Unless FiatPartsWebstore is wrong again, the 500T and Abarth both have the "rockcrusher" C510.

Also, don't forget the 500T uses LRR all-seasons that get waaay better FE than the Abarth's optional 17 high-drag PZero Nero's.

Bikebits
02-10-2014, 05:26 PM

I can't speak for US models, but Fiat Canada literature shows the Turbo and Abarth with the same transmission.

SeaDawg
02-10-2014, 05:43 PM

I think they both have the Heavy Duty transmission (C510) 1st seen in the Abarth. Note there is NO reverse lockout on the 500T transmission.

Felnus
02-10-2014, 05:52 PM
Hey Tweak, can we give Shadowshaggy a custom title, something like "Misinformation Bureau Chief"? biggrin

I thought the only difference was about 30 horsepower and 50 or so torque?

shadowshaggy
02-10-2014, 06:05 PM
They have different gear ratios and different clutches, and it says they both use the C510 transmission - but how can they have different gearing with same trans? Unless the FD is different, but I can tell you from owning both models that the 500T definitely has different gearing. It turned less RPM's on the highway than the Abarth.

Evogelion
02-10-2014, 07:08 PM
They have different gear ratios and different clutches, and it says they both use the C510 transmission - but how can they have different gearing with same trans? Unless the FD is different, but I can tell you from owning both models that the 500T definitely has different gearing. It turned less RPM's on the highway than the Abarth.

Maybe your Abarth is on steroids?

Tweak
02-10-2014, 07:29 PM
Hey Tweak, can we give Shadowshaggy a custom title, something like "Misinformation Bureau Chief"? biggrin

I thought the only difference was about 30 horsepower and 50 or so torque?

hehe, I don't think he'd be too happy with that one D! I've not seen any mention of them differing but to be honest I also never checked into it.

Around town with some really short highway miles that bring me into and out of town or the occasional use of the short freeway I tend to get around 30MPGs with my modded Abarth, out on trips though I can see mid and even high 30s which has improved as the mods have been added.

junnyquest
02-14-2014, 08:13 PM

According to the FIAT500USA website, the Abarth and Turbo share the same C510 transmission (gearing too) and final drive ratio.

moosestang
08-03-2014, 07:08 PM
So do the turbo and abarth have the same clutch?

Part of the difference in the fuel economy is the transmission and I'm sure the compression ratio hurts the turbo when cruising.

opiateESP
08-03-2014, 09:13 PM

The ratios are the same. The only difference is the stock tune, suspension, TTC and interior bits.

boostfreak
08-03-2014, 09:36 PM
You are forgetting the final ratio in the system, that is affecting the RPM at cruise speed.

The differences in size of the OEM wheels.

The transaxles are the exact same.

If there was any driveline superiority in the Abarth over the T, I would have bought that. I love my T.

B3NN3TT
08-04-2014, 10:29 AM
It's not uncommon to use different VERSIONS of the same model of transaxle.

For example, the unit in my V6 Roush Cougar is the same transaxle used on a base-model Focus - a Ford MTX-75. But on the Cougar the final drive ratio is different, and the bellhousing is different (a 4-cylinder transaxle is certainly not going to bolt up to a V6 engine block). But when it came time to install a limited-slip differential in my Roush, the Cougar had been out of production for years, but they were still building the MTX-75-equipped Focus' up through 2011. So I just bought a Focus diff - which dropped right in, since it was built for the MTX-75.

Hey - first post; I guess I ought to do an intro thread one of these days...

boostfreak
08-04-2014, 12:42 PM
It's not uncommon to use different VERSIONS of the same model of transaxle.

For example, the unit in my V6 Roush Cougar is the same transaxle used on a base-model Focus - a Ford MTX-75. But on the Cougar the final drive ratio is different, and the bellhousing is different (a 4-cylinder transaxle is certainly not going to bolt up to a V6 engine block). But when it came time to install a limited-slip differential in my Roush, the Cougar had been out of production for years, but they were still building the MTX-75-equipped Focus' up through 2011. So I just bought a Focus diff - which dropped right in, since it was built for the MTX-75.

Hey - first post; I guess I ought to do an intro thread one of these days...

While I agree with you, in that situation the units would all have different part numbers. In the Fiat case, they are all the same.

Just for knowledge sake, the C514 transaxle is used in the non-turbo 1.4 MultiAir cars.

moosestang
08-06-2014, 02:16 PM
You are forgetting the final ratio in the system, that is affecting the RPM at cruise speed.

The differences in size of the OEM wheels.

That's what i meant by transmission. My T is hitting 2800rpms at 75mph. What is a pops rpm at 75?

For reference, my 06 mustang gt with 4.10 rear gears is about the same rpm at 75mph, it also has a 5 speed manual transmission. 2nd gear runs out in that car about 60mph at just under 6500rpms.

boostfreak
08-06-2014, 08:04 PM
I was referring to the tire size as being the final ratio. A Pop model will be different, as the ratios and the transmission itself is an entirely different unit.

moosestang
08-08-2014, 06:07 PM
That's what i meant by transmission. My T is hitting 2800rpms at 75mph. What is a pops rpm at 75?

For reference, my 06 mustang gt with 4.10 rear gears is about the same rpm at 75mph, it also has a 5 speed manual transmission. 2nd gear runs out in that car about 60mph at just under 6500rpms.

Sorry, it's more like 3300 at 75, was 2800ish at 66ish!

rx191
02-20-2015, 12:35 AM
i have a 13T and i get apx 38 in town and 42-44 on the freeway, i drive about 70mph, when my wife drives she gets 35 in town and 38 on the open road but she will drive 80+, I have never had a tank that was less than 30mpg, even with some spirted mountain driving. watch the instant MPG once your up to speed it takes very little to maintain that speed. I have seen my inst mpg go up 10 mpg with just very light throttle movement and no change in speed

Bowser
02-22-2015, 01:47 AM
My computer thinks my Abarth gets 30.6MPG running it 80%-90% on the highway 70-80MPH goosing it when I need to merge (or when I want to hear a few pops :P) I did the math and after a week of driving to work I get 32.5 MPG...
I don't trust or believe MPG readouts, it's just guessing based on engine load/speed, vehicle speed, IAT, idle time and uses a fixed "chart" to do the math. I usually just reset the trip, drive 1/2 a tank and do the math to figure out how much gas I'm using.

Turbocharged engines like to be spooled, from experience, accelerating like granny hurts fuel economy more than just driving normally ( not bat crap crazy), besides, why would one buy the turbo to hypermile?:slap: