PDA

View Full Version : Insurer can't underwrite a 500C Abarth

reed2x
02-10-2014, 02:25 PM
Hello all. I'm having a heck of a time straightening out insurance on my new 2013 500C Abarth.
I'm with state farm. They list all possible combinations of

Year 2013
Make: Chrysler
Model: Fiat
Body type: 500 pop, 500 lounge, 500 abarth, 500C pop, 500C lounge

except 500C abarth. My VIN shows up in state farm's system as if it is a 500C lounge.

My agent and I don't know what to tell the underwriters. Anyone else have such troubles?

EliRider
02-10-2014, 02:31 PM
I had a similar problem when these cars first came out. My agent registered it as a 2012 500 Sport, then it was sorted out later when I received my revised policy. I suspect starting out as a 500C is fine for now. The main thing is getting it your car insured.

I'm surprised that this has not yet sorted out by now.

You can ask your agent to document the discrepancy for your records until they change it.

Andree
02-10-2014, 02:53 PM
Hello all. I'm having a heck of a time straightening out insurance on my new 2013 500C Abarth.
I'm with state farm. They list all possible combinations of

Year 2013
Make: Chrysler
Model: Fiat
Body type: 500 pop, 500 lounge, 500 abarth, 500C pop, 500C lounge

except 500C abarth. My VIN shows up in state farm's system as if it is a 500C lounge.

My agent and I don't know what to tell the underwriters. Anyone else have such troubles?

In late 2012, I checked on rates for Fiat and had to help the lady FIND the Fiat category at my insurance company. I was checking on the Pop, Lounge, and Gucci Lounge. They had no separate category for the Gucci Lounge either.

I just now checked with State Farm in my area, and the man said there's a way to enter the info manually, along with the MSRP of the vehicle. Entering the MSRP in the policy helps to show that this is not a regular Abarth or a 500C Lounge. You may also want to provide pictures of the car during the process.

Even way back when the 4Runner first came out, had to go back to DMV to explain it wasn't a "truck" with a camper shell, it was a passenger vehicle.

Everyone everywhere doesn't always have the most updated info. That includes our insurance companies and our Department of Motor Vehicles.

Tweak
02-10-2014, 08:10 PM
Mine still shows as something like a Lounge C and it is an Abarth non C, guess that was all they had listed but I think I should call them about it just in case!

Roxy500
02-10-2014, 08:16 PM
I never had a problem like that.
Firstly FIAT makes CHRYSLER , not the other way around.
I'm sure it's a glitch or operator error on their end. You're surely not the only Abarth Cabrio they've ever insured.

reed2x
02-10-2014, 09:55 PM
State Farm is behind the times. I propose they flip it around, then you'd have the

FIAT 500 as the flagship followed by the
FIAT 300
FIAT 200
FIAT Town and Country

dart1.4t
02-10-2014, 10:54 PM
I'm sure it's a glitch or operator error on their end. You're surely not the only Abarth Cabrio they've ever insured.

yeah sorta... fiat managed and was the biggest shareholder in chrysler and now they truely own them and it's been rebranded as the fiat chrysler group or something. but at the same time the n/a fiats are made in chrysler factories by chrysler employees. fiat didn't just start shipping 500s here. they started production of fiat parts on the north american continent in existing chrysler facilities. so are chryslers fiats? well yes, they are owned by fiat. are fiats made by chrysler? also yes in some cases.. i mean even in europe, they adopted many chrysler parts and products that existed before fiat management, the lancia brand uses a lot from chrysler. so if the verb is "made" it's just a matter of interperatation depending on which product we are talking about. if we are talking ownership/subsidiaries then fiat is the top dog.

evbruno
02-10-2014, 11:02 PM
When I registered the 500L Allstate could only show it as a 2014 500.

Doohickie
02-10-2014, 11:12 PM

It's simply an administrative thing. Chrysler is already in the system, so they added Fiat as a brand under Chrysler. They know it's not technically correct, but State Farm is still using a mainframe-based system with limited options. They simply can't add a new manufacturer easily, so they bandaided it by tucking them under Chrysler.

ReconTopher
02-10-2014, 11:15 PM
That's weird, I'm with State Farm and it is listed as a '13 500 C as well, never noticed before.

Crossfirecat
02-11-2014, 01:09 AM
That's weird, I'm with State Farm and it is listed as a '13 500 C as well, never noticed before.

I have State Farm as well. When I bought my 2013 Abarth hatchback in Sept 2012, They could not find Fiat in the system and instead went with Chrysler. What's really odd is that mine is listed as a "Chrysler Fiat 500X" on my policy.

Doohickie
02-11-2014, 01:37 AM
I have State Farm as well. When I bought my 2013 Abarth hatchback in Sept 2012, They could not find Fiat in the system and instead went with Chrysler. What's really odd is that mine is listed as a "Chrysler Fiat 500X" on my policy.

Read my previous post.

Chrysler and Fiat are the same company now, so they added all the Fiats as models under Chrysler since Chrysler was in their system first. Their computer system is like 30 years old; it was the best workaround they could come up with.

msjulie33
02-11-2014, 10:25 AM
USAA never had an issue though the 500T rate was higher than the Abarth (it's that turbo in the name sillyness)

E Rossi
02-11-2014, 12:51 PM
USAA never had an issue though the 500T rate was higher than the Abarth (it's that turbo in the name sillyness)

I had no problem with USAA, either.

markinmad
02-11-2014, 01:17 PM
When I registered the 500L Allstate could only show it as a 2014 500.

Same with State Farm.

Tweak
02-11-2014, 02:19 PM

Window sticker shows the car as a 500X, perhaps that plays a factor in it?

reed2x
02-11-2014, 03:08 PM
Well, its reassuring to hear others have been in the same boat. I paid the premium and my documentation all shows Chrysler Fiat 500C, with no distinction regarding Pop, Lounge, Abarth. Cross my fingers state farm will honor the policy if something happens.

BTW, these cars are extremely cheap to insure. Almost half the price as my SUV for identical coverage.

Andree
02-11-2014, 04:24 PM
Well, its reassuring to hear others have been in the same boat. I paid the premium and my documentation all shows Chrysler Fiat 500C, with no distinction regarding Pop, Lounge, Abarth. Cross my fingers state farm will honor the policy if something happens.

BTW, these cars are extremely cheap to insure. Almost half the price as my SUV for identical coverage.

Cheap to insure if they aren't covering the entire cost of the vehicle. Ask them what the replacement value is for the policy. If they didn't input the MSRP, the car probably isn't covered for what it's worth.

Tweak
02-11-2014, 07:25 PM
Found out today it is listed right with insurance but tax office has it listed wrong. This thread got me to look into things. :cool: