PDA

View Full Version : First two tankfuls on 500 Sport ...

rustbucket
02-06-2014, 07:46 PM
... 30.6 mpg and 29.5 mpg (hand calculated)- combination of rural, interstate and in town driving. I expect some improvement with warmer temps. I've been letting it warm up some- 3 or 4 minutes like today when it was -15F this am and longer when it was -21F. I suspect those warmups put a pretty good ding in mpg.

Also a question- is the low fuel light pretty consistent as far as what remains in the tank when it comes on?

lammie200
02-06-2014, 10:09 PM
Also a question- is the low fuel light pretty consistent as far as what remains in the tank when it comes on?

It's been very consistent on mine.

Don't fret gas mileage. It's not all its cracked up to be.

rustbucket
02-07-2014, 07:10 PM
I'm satisfied with mpg so far ... winter is tough on mpg. DW's CRV has lost 4-5mpg, the boss's Buick about 4. 30mpg is a 10mpg improvement over my old and tired Ranger 2.3L during winter ... I'll take it. I don't help either- been shifting at 2500 to 4000 rpm. The Sport tends to bring out the sport in me. biggrin Want to get some more miles on her before I go to redline.

Felnus
02-07-2014, 10:31 PM
The idling while warming up kills your mileage and it definitely get better after the engine loosens up a bit.

grigioabarth
02-07-2014, 11:09 PM
During the time I owned my Sport, I averaged 36-41mpg. Cold weather hurts MPGs, plus the car isn't broken in yet.

Doohickie
02-08-2014, 02:57 PM
My first few tanks are about 34-35.

rustbucket
02-08-2014, 03:38 PM
My first few tanks are about 34-35.

I suspect I'll see those kind of figures once warmer weather hits. Feels like a veritable heat wave today... 10F and the wind has died down. -15F yesterday a.m. on the way to work. I've heard you've had some nasty winter weather of your own to contend with in Texas. Spring can't come soon enough.

All in all, I'd have to say the 500 Sport is as good a 2wd winter car as I've driven. Remarkably sure footed in the snow, even on the stock Conti ProContact all seasons. The heated mirrors and seats are just icing on the cake. If funds permit for next winter I hope to have a spare set of wheels w/ dedicated snows and a block heater ... that's a sure guarantee we'll have a mild winter. ;)

4carbcorvair
02-09-2014, 11:20 AM
Yup, letting it warm up drops the mpg's a lot.

After we had about 1,000 miles on ours, we took it on a 420ish mile round trip. 96% highway with 65 and 75 posted speed limits. Even my wife noticed the engine revved quicker and sounded different after that good break in trip. Mpg's jumped up too. :)

Doohickie
02-09-2014, 12:40 PM
It was colder this week than last (below freezing versus above) and the mileage was bit lower this week.

rustbucket
02-14-2014, 08:55 PM
Cold weather hurts MPGs, plus the car isn't broken in yet.

I think that's the case; filled up tonight- 32.06 mpg (hand calculated) .... a nice improvement. Just getting ready to turn over 1000 miles- the motor seems noticeably looser and willing to rev and the seat of the pants dyno says it has a little more spunk. And the weather is a little warmer ... if 7F can be considered warm.

The one thing I have concern about are the high rpm's on cold starts- it runs up to almost 2000 rpm on a cold start and drops right back to idle speed. It's a bit unnerving on a -21F morning.

Doohickie
02-18-2014, 01:53 AM
Looking good on the mileage this week. Warmer temps, a bit more freeway driving than normal, and I'm at almost 41 mpg.

rustbucket
02-18-2014, 08:00 PM
Looking good on the mileage this week. Warmer temps, a bit more freeway driving than normal, and I'm at almost 41 mpg.
Positively balmy here earlier today ... 38F and a welcome change from yesterday's wind blown snow, ice, and then a snow storm. The Sport was a real trooper and got me to work in one piece including the big patch of ice that put an Audi Quattro (that had blasted by me earlier) in the median . Three of the four vehicles (including an SUV on its roof) off in the median were 4WD/AWD .... hmmm.

When warmer weather finally arrives I hope to see the kind of numbers you're getting.

janaheim
02-19-2014, 05:30 AM
My first tankful on my new 500 Pop yielded 36 mpg, mostly city driving with a little freeway (80% city/20% freeway). That was hand calculated, 312 miles on 8.668 gallons. That was with quite a bit of idling trying to set things up, as well, so I expect my next tankful to be even higher. For comparison's sake, my former '12 500 Sport got 32 mpg average and my former Elantra got 24 mpg. What's funny about the Elantra is since I had it for a year, I never got even close to what the EPA stated, while with both my 500's they exceeded them, especially the Pop! By the way I don't drive like a turtle but I do stay within the speed limit, plus 2 mph on the city and 5 mph on the freeway sometimes, mostly right on target.

Doohickie
02-19-2014, 10:26 AM
I have an Elantra as well (my son is driving it since the head gasket on his previous car blew, which is why I bought the 500). First of all, Hyundai took some hits for overstating mileage on some of their cars in the mid-2000s. And secondly, my 2005 Elantra got great mileage when gas with MTBE was still available. It turns out that MTBE is great for emissions, but bad for polluting water supplies in liquid form, so they phased it out and we went back to 10% ethanol. Since then, my mpgs on the Elantra have never been that great, about the same you're getting.

Doohickie
02-19-2014, 10:29 AM
Oh, and the other thing I was going to say: I keep the average fuel economy for my current tank on my display. Idling doesn't seem to kill the mileage; the thing that kills it is accelerating from a dead stop. The two are related, naturally, but I think stop-n-go is worse for mileage than just idling.

Lil Blue
02-19-2014, 07:44 PM
I would probably get better mpg in the Abarth if I wasn't always driving it "balls to the walls" Just saying.

rustbucket
02-19-2014, 11:11 PM
I would probably get better mpg in the Abarth if I wasn't always driving it "balls to the walls" Just saying.

Even at than I imagine mpg's still aren't too bad ... having your fun and not breaking the bank in the process ain't too shabby.

Lil Blue
02-20-2014, 09:02 AM
Even at than I imagine mpg's still aren't too bad ... having your fun and not breaking the bank in the process ain't too shabby.
Don't know...26-28 mpg mostly city driving good?

Doohickie
02-20-2014, 11:34 AM
For a performance car? Not too bad.

I would have liked a Turbo or even an Abarth, but this was supposed to be an economy buy for me- cheap commuter that gets good mileage, so the extra expense of a Turbo wasn't in play for me, and the mileage I'm getting so far makes me happy.

rustbucket
02-20-2014, 03:49 PM
Don't know...26-28 mpg mostly city driving good?
I think it is darn good .... a V8 pony car would easily be 10-15 mpg less. 26-28 mpg is what I got for highway mileage with my old 2.3L Ranger before it got tired. And a little over 28mpg was all I got on my third tank in my Sport though I've seen dramatic increases with some warmer weather and some miles on it (break in).

rustbucket
02-21-2014, 10:18 PM
And secondly, my 2005 Elantra got great mileage when gas with MTBE was still available.

Spot on on MTBE ... my 2.3L Ranger was good for 29-31 mpg (highway) pre E10. I first noticed it on a trip to Maine some years ago when I filled up on the NY State Throughway and my mileage dropped considerably (26 mpg) and couldn't figure out why at first. E10 was the culprit.

Filled up the Sport today- 35.7 mpg (hand calculated) ... I'm pleased. The last tankful was 92 octane ethanol free- today wasn't (92 octane E10) ... see if it makes a difference.

rustbucket
03-01-2014, 11:54 PM
32.3 (hand calculated) last tankful ... not sure I can blame it all on E-10 but it does seem run noticeably better on the 92 octane non- ethanol fuel - seems to pull better and more willing to rev. At some point when the weather improves I'll try some 87 octane and work my way up (89 octane) to the 92 octane non- ethanol fuel.

janaheim
03-02-2014, 12:24 AM
32.3 (hand calculated) last tankful ... not sure I can blame it all on E-10 but it does seem run noticeably better on the 92 octane non- ethanol fuel - seems to pull better and more willing to rev. At some point when the weather improves I'll try some 87 octane and work my way up (89 octane) to the 92 octane non- ethanol fuel.

Blame it on the alcohol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfjtpp90lu8

rustbucket
03-02-2014, 12:52 AM
Blame it on the alcohol.

Some Anaheim weather would help, too.

janaheim
03-02-2014, 02:17 AM
Some Anaheim weather would help, too.

It's been raining for the past three days, sometimes heavily, but yes we haven't had much of a winter. We do need the rain.

Purgatory
05-16-2014, 11:25 PM
Been tracking every tank of gas in my 2013 Sport manual since it had 700 miles on it. Just turned 4,000 miles today. Overall average = 35.5. Best tank = 41.0, worse tank= 31.1. So I have never been under 30 mpg, and the one tank hit 41+. Very happy with this. It's kept in Sport Mode 100% of the time, and I shift late. About 50% city driving and 50% country roads, very little interstate driving thus far. About to have a new Abarth in 10 days or so, delivery pending, will have to see what I can do with that.

rustbucket
05-17-2014, 09:27 AM
Been tracking every tank of gas in my 2013 Sport manual since it had 700 miles on it. Just turned 4,000 miles today. Overall average = 35.5. Best tank = 41.0, worse tank= 31.1. So I have never been under 30 mpg, and the one tank hit 41+. Very happy with this. It's kept in Sport Mode 100% of the time, and I shift late. About 50% city driving and 50% country roads, very little interstate driving thus far. About to have a new Abarth in 10 days or so, delivery pending, will have to see what I can do with that.

My experience pretty much matches yours. Picked up my 2013 Sport the end of January and just crossed over the 5000 mile mark this week. Had a couple of sub 30 mpg tankfuls in the beginning but warmer weather (-21F doesn't help mpg) and break in (like a different motor after break in) has improved things. I consistently average 35-36 mpg with a best of 41+. I do find ethanol free 91 octane worth 1-1.5 mpg over ethanol 91/92 octane. Haven't gotten around to trying 87/ 89 octane fuels; as it is even with premium I'm still spending $12- $15 less a week than my previous vehicle.

A very big congrats on the Abarth. I purposely avoided the Abarth knowing I'd be hooked but it was not in the budget. Finally took one for a test drive when I had the Sport in for service (jounce bumpers replaced) about a month or so ago.... I would have come home with it that day if I could.

Gordon
05-18-2014, 09:33 AM
When my fuel light com's on when I fill up it take's about 9to 9.5 gal's