View Full Version : Abarth Experience Laguna Seca

HMBS2K
02-04-2014, 02:56 PM
Anyone else sign up yet? i know schedule just came out but im already signed up

Tweak
02-04-2014, 10:47 PM
Anyone else sign up yet? i know schedule just came out but im already signed up

Welcome to the forum.

One northeastern (I think) has stated he might hop a plane out there for it rather than going to the one local to him so maybe another member will be out that way.

Details here: http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?11537-Details-on-2014-schedule&p=654777&viewfull=1#post654777

BecauseRacecar
02-04-2014, 10:48 PM
Yup, that was me! Haha, small world...

I'm debating signing up for it... I live in NJ, and there are TWO tracks on the Abarth Experience website that are right next to me!
But, but, but.... Laguna... Seca....

I mean, it's legendary!!

I'd just have to find a place to stay. Money is super tight. My re-enlistment was CANX due to cutbacks and all that jazz... I get to be a real person now. :nonchalance: Found out last week-ish.

Will know by tomorrow. Currently searching Kayak and Hotels websites for cheap rooms.

msjulie33
02-05-2014, 12:58 AM
But, but, but.... Laguna... Seca....

I mean, it's legendary!!

All show still open :) I picked Laguna Seca myself..

BecauseRacecar
02-05-2014, 12:13 PM
DONE!

Laguna Seca, 18 February!!!

Now, I just need to find a place to stay... any Fiat/Lancia/Jalop members feel like renting out a couch? biggrin

SO EXCITED!!!!!!!

vdog01
02-05-2014, 01:40 PM
I just signed up for the 18th!

Woohoo!

13Abarth
02-06-2014, 03:23 PM
I am in for the 18th! Making extended vacation out of it - Awesome.

I was hoping to go to Vegas this year but Laguna Seca is THE ONE to do.
I have tracked my Grigio with the 17's at two different tracks in Michigan. Can't Wait
to scratch this one off my list.

Bucket List Track - Laguna Seca!

lillo24
02-06-2014, 03:37 PM
I will see you guys there

rnddude
02-06-2014, 04:11 PM
Laguna Seca is the most fun (small) track you could hope to drive on. Dropping blind into the corkscrew is just unreal!

BecauseRacecar
02-06-2014, 11:26 PM
It's official!

Got the flight booked, and a rental convertible!

They wouldn't say what it was. Hopefully not a V6 mustang.

Booked a hotel in downtown Monterey for 14th-19th.
I am so excited to cruise the PCH, drive some mountain roads, see the Golden Gate, cruise downtown SF, and do some Monterey scuba diving!

Never been to this part of the country before...

chrisnov500
02-07-2014, 04:14 AM
Good for you!! :D:D

Why am I getting so excited?? lol

It's official!

I am so excited to cruise the PCH, drive some mountain roads, see the Golden Gate, cruise downtown SF, and do some Monterey scuba diving!

rnddude
02-07-2014, 11:32 AM
It's official!

Never been to this part of the country before...In my opinion, it is the most beautiful stretch of California.

msjulie33
02-07-2014, 11:35 AM
In my opinion, it is the most beautiful stretch of California.

For another kind of beauty and if you have time, Avenue of the Giants... just wow..

http://avenueofthegiants.net/

Even if you skip the silly tourists stops to drive through a tree :)

Rodrigo568
02-07-2014, 02:33 PM
YES!!!! I am going to Laguna Seca

Wednesday Feb 19th 2014.

Who else is going on the 19th?

I will be driving my red Abarth from Los Angeles on the 18th. I was able to find a cheap hotel/ motel in Salinas (not far from Laguna Seca) on Orbitz.

I chose Laguna Seca over Fontana (40 min from me). In my opinion the cork screw is such an experience and the track is very particular with up and downs, and turns. So much fun.

I guess the competition is going to be tough :)

BecauseRacecar
02-07-2014, 05:05 PM
For another kind of beauty and if you have time, Avenue of the Giants... just wow..

http://avenueofthegiants.net/

Even if you skip the silly tourists stops to drive through a tree :)WOW.
Doing it!

Seems pretty... well, epic.

djhace
02-07-2014, 05:28 PM
It's official!

you're going to want to stay. lol. it's really nice. i have to see if i can get days off at work, first. (will be going from san diego).

HMBS2K
02-07-2014, 05:35 PM
Looking like its going to be a good turn out. I just hope it doesn't rain

BecauseRacecar
02-07-2014, 09:45 PM
I just realized how far north of Laguna Seca the "Avenue of the Giants" are... 7 hours EACH WAY. Well, maybe next time.

Things I want to do already:
- Go diving off Monterey
- Visit 1 Infinite Loop [I hear it's like when Neo met the Source]
- Go derp around downtown SF and hit up some great eats [anyone live there? What's good to do? Nightlife areas?]
- Cruise the Golden Gate bridge, and visit that one touristy road/scenic area that looks at it that 500,000 pictures are taken from
- I heard the driving through Big Basin Redwoods State park is epic, and it's just SW of Cupertino. So maybe cut through that.
EDIT: - GO TO THAT ROW OF HOUSES WHERE THE BEST SHOW OF MY CHILDHOOD WAS FILMED AT!
EDIT #2: - And that one really twisty road. Down a hill. I'll need to Google the name.

I only have 3 days free (6 total, -1 for track, -2 for airline travel each way) so I figure that's about all I can cram in.

I vote that we all find a way to get together on the evening of the 18th and hang out/stuff our faces somewhere in/near Monterey!
Preferably down the shore. (Hah, you can tell I'm from Jersey...)

msjulie33
02-07-2014, 09:52 PM
I just realized how far north of Laguna Seca the "Avenue of the Giants" are... 7 hours EACH WAY. Well, maybe next time.

Yeah that's the rub if you're on a tight schedule - and you're more south than my starting point

- Visit 1 Infinite Loop [I hear it's like when Neo met the Source]

Well it's ok but it's cooler inside the loop but you need a badge to get there..

EDIT #2: - And that one really twisty road. Down a hill. I'll need to Google the name.

Lombard :)

BecauseRacecar
02-07-2014, 09:55 PM
This is crazy. I've wanted to go to San Francisco since I was a little kid.

And Laguna Seca/T-Rex has always been my favorite track since I watched racing with my dad awhile back.

Never thought I'd get to do BOTH. All at ONCE!

msjulie33 - Thanks for the street name! Jogs my memory now.

Abarth Phreak
02-07-2014, 10:10 PM
I sure hope nobody is upset to find out that this is not the part of the track that will be used for the event.....:frantic4yc:

Anyone actually do this experience at Laguna to know for sure which track area is used?

California Speedway has several track areas to be used.

BecauseRacecar
02-07-2014, 10:16 PM
I sure hope nobody is upset to find out that this is not the part of the track that will be used for the event.....:frantic4yc:

Wait... for serious?

EDIT: The calendar for the actual track shows "SRT Experience" for the 18th and 19th... is that us?
http://www.mazdaraceway.com/calendar

EDIT 2: After more Google-fu, the description of the "SRT Experience" is the same as the Abarth Experience. Same flash drive, video cameras in cars, briefings... hmm.
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/08/enter-the-bigtruck-srt-experience-reviewed/

mr_robs
02-08-2014, 08:46 PM
signed up for the 18th

Abarth Phreak
02-08-2014, 09:51 PM
Wait... for serious?

EDIT: The calendar for the actual track shows "SRT Experience" for the 18th and 19th... is that us?
http://www.mazdaraceway.com/calendar

EDIT 2: After more Google-fu, the description of the "SRT Experience" is the same as the Abarth Experience. Same flash drive, video cameras in cars, briefings... hmm.
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/08/enter-the-bigtruck-srt-experience-reviewed/

Its the same company that runs the sessions, so they are essentially the same classes. (Except the SRT lineup is a bit more interesting since it is several different higher powered cars, maybe not more fun though.)

I would recommend that those attending (or at least one person here) call to verify what tracks are going to be used, keeping in mind that the main track might not be part of it so there is no disappointment. They do not use the main track at California Speedway either, just the inner tracks, or at least they did that when I was there last.

BecauseRacecar
02-08-2014, 10:39 PM
[...]
I would recommend that those attending (or at least one person here) call to verify what tracks are going to be used
[...]

1) I've sent them an email, and if I don't hear back from them by Monday will try to give them a call too. I will report back with their response.

2) After obsessing over Google maps and aerial pictures, I only see the one track (T-rex) and three large parking areas, along with the pit roads and perimeter roads. I'm assuming that the autocross and drag races will be in the parking lot, but here's hoping that we get to have some fun on the big boy course!!!!

EDIT: Although the large central parking area/pits, on Apple Maps satellite imagery, does have lots of rubber skids in a pattern that MAY resemble a tight road course. :-\

Abarth Phreak
02-09-2014, 11:49 AM
Yeah, hopefully they are planning to use it. I am hesitant to be positive just from the liability standpoint, unless they are planning to have a ride-along style session. At Fontana, we had a good side road course and went solo, but we followed the instructors and you could see the whole track from infield, highest speed getting to around 90-100.

jdvrider
02-10-2014, 01:48 PM
California Speedway is a different beast as you have the super speedway oval with the smaller road course tracks on the infield.

Laguna Seca is just one road course. There is room on the infield for the auto-x portion of the day which they often use for some of their smaller training events as well. The track driving portion has to be on the regular Laguna Seca track though, and they don't really have any way to shorten it or alter the route. Corkscrew fun for all!

I'm less than an hour from the track so all I have to do is get up early and head down there. Not sure if I want to sign up for 18th or 19th though. If there's anything other events planned or anyone needs ideas I'm happy to contribute. Also for those staying in Salinas, it is probably the least safe of the cities around the track, be careful with where you wander at night. There is also an In-n-Out burger in Salinas for any of you traveling from afar that may have heard of their epic burgers and not had one for yourself.

BecauseRacecar
02-10-2014, 01:49 PM
Just got my response back:
Hi [name removed];

We will have four different driving activities at the event. Two sessions will be done on the actual track and two of the driving activities will be cone parking lot activities.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

The Abarth Track Experience Team

----------

jdvrider - You should do the 18th, 'cause all us cool kids are going then :highly_amused:

jdvrider
02-10-2014, 06:28 PM
Alright, I'm in for the 18th. I already have the day off on Monday so making a four day weekend out of it is never a bad thing! We'll have to find a post-race dinner spot for those of us who are interested. Cannery Row Brewery in Monterey has been good the couple times I've been there, not sure if we can find something closer or not.

slocal94
02-10-2014, 08:10 PM
Picked up our new car this past weekend. What an awesome little car. Just looked at the available events for the Abarth Driving Experience and found Laguna on the list. Working on signing my wife up. We happen to live 15 minutes away from Laguna. I have raced at the track many times. The main track is the only available format. If you want a great road to drive that is close to Laguna try either highway 1 south towards big sur or Carmel Valley road South. Both would be a blast in one of these cars. Salinas isn't that bad of a place as long as you stay on the west side of Highway 101 or any hotel right off the freeway. Yelp is your friend.

mr_robs
02-10-2014, 08:16 PM
Alright, I'm in for the 18th. I already have the day off on Monday so making a four day weekend out of it is never a bad thing! We'll have to find a post-race dinner spot for those of us who are interested. Cannery Row Brewery in Monterey has been good the couple times I've been there, not sure if we can find something closer or not.

Second the Brewery having good food and drink, but they are more difficult to deal with than any other place ive ever eaten at when it comes to splitting checks. A group of us meet up in Sand City every couple of weeks for a euro car meet and we wont go back there with 6+ anymore because last month it took us over an hour to pay our bill and our own waitress complained to the management about us as customers for simply needing to split the check.

Tweak
02-10-2014, 09:02 PM
Picked up our new car this past weekend. What an awesome little car. Just looked at the available events for the Abarth Driving Experience and found Laguna on the list. Working on signing my wife up. We happen to live 15 minutes away from Laguna. I have raced at the track many times. The main track is the only available format. If you want a great road to drive that is close to Laguna try either highway 1 south towards big sur or Carmel Valley road South. Both would be a blast in one of these cars. Salinas isn't that bad of a place as long as you stay on the west side of Highway 101 or any hotel right off the freeway. Yelp is your friend.

Congrats on the car and welcome to the forum. Lucky being so close!!!

BecauseRacecar
02-10-2014, 10:47 PM
Brewery or wherever else, I'm in!

slocal94 - Congrats!

ReconTopher
02-10-2014, 11:12 PM
Is there a thread for Fontana? I looked, but not thoroughly.

Also, this might be useful to someone... my Abarth is registered under my wife's name as she has a better credit score due to a previous divorce on my side. Anyhoo, the Abarth Experience will let someone else drive the Experience if they are not on the title. They require either an insurance card with your name on it with the title holder or a letter from the title owner stating they give you permission to do to the Experience and list the vin number on the letter. I will be sending up both.

Pretty cool I think! Beats paying a $500 fee. But if the title holder wants to go watch, it's still the $100 spectator fee.

bfox
02-13-2014, 05:48 PM
Another one going to Laguna Seca on the 18th here.
Living in Berkeley, CA and only a couple hours drive from the circuit how can I not do this!
Looking forward to it.

BecauseRacecar
02-13-2014, 07:27 PM
Leaving for the airport in 10h!!

Next stop - CALIFORNIA HOOOOOO!!!!

Tweak
02-13-2014, 09:22 PM
Another one going to Laguna Seca on the 18th here.
Living in Berkeley, CA and only a couple hours drive from the circuit how can I not do this!
Looking forward to it.

Welcome to the forum!

Have fun guys and we all look forward to pics and video upon your return.

BecauseRacecar
02-15-2014, 12:19 AM
Just checked in to the hotel in Monterey.

6 hour flight, a few hours of waiting, a Mustang convertible, and 3 hours on the Pacific Coast Highway...

OH MAN YOU GUYS YOU GUYS THESE ROADS OMG SPOILED

http://i58.tinypic.com/2ewgq2x.jpg

Seriously.... I HAVE TO LIVE HERE

Wish I could have rented an Abarth, but nobody had any...

So who wants to hang out? :P

msjulie33
02-15-2014, 12:31 AM
ah that looks great

pureflipking
02-16-2014, 06:46 PM
i just signed up yesterday, My favorite Track ( from playing GranTurismo) i get to actually drive on!!

planetom
02-16-2014, 07:50 PM
http://www.turn12barandgrill.com/

Motorsports themed restaurant in Monterey. I haven't eaten there yet, but have ogled the vintage motorcycles through the window.
Their other restaurant in Carmel Valley (Baja Cantina) has an Offenhauser engine in the middle of the room.

BecauseRacecar
02-16-2014, 11:42 PM
http://www.turn12barandgrill.com/.

Woah, I actually drove by there [I think] today! I'm up for it!

----------

On a completely unrelated note; my paragliding lessons are going great.
I LOVE THIS PLACE
I REFUSE TO GO BACK HOME

BecauseRacecar
02-18-2014, 03:21 AM
Super excited for tomorrow!!

Finished the paragliding lessons today, and drove PCH/1 from Monterey to Cambria (through Big Sur) and back.

Enthusiastically.

See y'all tomorrow!

msjulie33
02-18-2014, 09:29 AM
I REFUSE TO GO BACK HOME

:) I know that feeling

mr_robs
02-18-2014, 10:10 AM
Heading down from the southbay in a few, look for the grumpy guy in a filthy grigio abarth thats catless. **** its early.

BecauseRacecar
02-18-2014, 08:14 PM
OH MY GOD TODAY WAS SO MUCH WIN!
Details later.

BecauseRacecar
02-18-2014, 09:21 PM
Heading to Turn 12 Bar and Grille - see (some of) you there!

cm-r
02-18-2014, 10:54 PM
Signed up for tomorrow!! Did you guys actually get to race on the track or a parking lot?

BecauseRacecar
02-18-2014, 11:58 PM
Signed up for tomorrow!! Did you guys actually get to race on the track or a parking lot?

Oh man. We were on the track a LOT!

That corkscrew... hot damn that corkscrew changes LIVES, mate!

Protip: First time in the corkscrew, take it SLOW, 30 mph, and steer more left than you think you need to...

Be humble and follow your instructor. These guys are super-pro, and will show you that at the very end. :D

Overall, I drove 12 laps total. Broken up into groups of 2, times three, over two separate sessions.

For the track, you will get 6 sessions with two laps in each session: First three in normal mode, 3rd gear only.
Second three sessions; sport mode and shifting is allowed (you won't need to leave 3rd much at all, except on the straight where you may get to 4th, and the final decreasing-radius turn where you might use 2nd)
You then get one final session as a ride-along, where you realize just how slow you are!

Autocross and head-to-head are done on the in-field.
The cone layouts are SUPER fun!! :D

JoeB
02-19-2014, 12:15 AM
I had a great time, but only lasted half the day. In retrospect, driving from the Bay Area with little sleep at 6am through traffic was not a good idea. I should have gotten a room in Monterey Monday night.

The autocross in the morning was huge fun. My first time at it, and I put in a surprisingly decent couple of laps. The instructor runs on the big track were more of a struggle. I taught myself a shuffle-type steering I picked up from rally drivers years ago: Hands at 9-and-3, and I shuffle the wheel from the bottom, never crossing arms over (which helped a great deal on the tight autocross turns). My instructor was not happy with this, and kept insisting I hold at 10-and-2 and keep them there. This was tantamount to teaching me how to drive all over again, which made the process of learning the track more than my tired brain could absorb.

As I was walking to lunch, I realized I was bordering on not being a safe person for the instructor to ride with, with the level of tired/confusion I was operating with. I decided I'd had my fun and got myself home for a long nap! Now I want to do more autocross...

cm-r
02-19-2014, 12:15 AM
heck yea!! I can't believe we get to drive on the corkscrew. Great now i won't be able to sleep for sure... ahahaha

cm-r
02-19-2014, 12:21 AM
I had a great time, but only lasted half the day. In retrospect, driving from the Bay Area with little sleep at 6am through traffic was not a good idea. I should have gotten a room in Monterey Monday night.

The autocross in the morning was huge fun. My first time at it, and I put in a surprisingly decent couple of laps. The instructor runs on the big track were more of a struggle. I taught myself a shuffle-type steering I picked up from rally drivers years ago: Hands at 9-and-3, and I shuffle the wheel from the bottom, never crossing arms over (which helped a great deal on the tight autocross turns). My instructor was not happy with this, and kept insisting I hold at 10-and-2 and keep them there. This was tantamount to teaching me how to drive all over again, which made the process of learning the track more than my tired brain could absorb.

As I was walking to lunch, I realized I was bordering on not being a safe person for the instructor to ride with, with the level of tired/confusion I was operating with. I decided I'd had my fun and got myself home for a long nap! Now I want to do more autocross...

This is what I'm afraid of, being so tired and not being able to have fun. Thats why I'm getting my fiancÚ to drive me to the track so I can get some sleep. I'm coming from the east bay. What time do you think I should leave and be on time?

BecauseRacecar
02-19-2014, 12:26 AM
My best guess would be 5:45 to be safe. Depends on where you are coming from, Google maps is varying a lot where I place the start marker...
That and I'm not from around here so I don't know the traffic.

Oddly enough I'm heading from Monterey to KSFO at 0700, so we'll probably pass each other on the freeway.

If you see a red mustang convertible [assuming 100 other tourists aren't driving the same thing] heading Northbound, you/fiancÚ feel free to lay on the horn!

JoeB
02-19-2014, 12:29 AM
This is what I'm afraid of, being so tired and not being able to have fun. Thats why I'm getting my fiancÚ to drive me to the track so I can get some sleep. I'm coming from the east bay. What time do you think I should leave and be on time?

Leaving at 6 should get you there by 8:30. I was late because I got lost, so make sure you have good directions. My smartphone GPS got pretty confused in Monterey.

Yeah, you need to be rested for this. Sleep hard.

BecauseRacecar
02-19-2014, 12:32 AM
CM-R: In case it isn't obvious, this takes a LOT of energy out of you.

After a single autocross lap, I felt like I had just done half a workout.

Followed by two more auto crosses, then 5 head-to-head races, 6 laps of "driving dynamics", then 6 laps of road/track performance/race pace... yeah man, I was TIRED by the end.

So, if you haven't already, turn off the computer thingys and get to bed now. :p

msjulie33
02-19-2014, 12:33 AM
I'm impressed how well those completely stock cars stood up to our abuse! Head to head was a good twist on an autocross like event..

cm-r
02-19-2014, 12:35 AM
yea I'm gunna hit the sack as soon as I get home from work.. thanks for the tips guys!

BecauseRacecar
02-19-2014, 12:40 AM
I'm impressed how well those completely stock cars stood up to our abuse! Head to head was a good twist on an autocross like event..

Head-to-head wound up being my personal favorite! [well, second to the corkscrew]
The competition, the camaraderie, the smoke, the terrible jokes...

Yeah, looking back on it I am amazed that the transmission or halfshafts or even engines didn't turn into noodles.

For those who are driving tomorrow, don't be timid! The cars are 100% stock (with video cameras) but can take the most cringe-worthy driving.
We had a few people accidentally do clutch-burnouts (launching, but letting out the clutch anything but fast) and the Abarth kept on trucking.

Fiat500USA
02-19-2014, 02:16 AM
These cars can take a beating. You've seen the proof first hand! Something to remember when you hear someone make a comment on Italian cars being whatever. When I attended the Abarth press event in early 2012 in Las Vegas, the cars were kept idling all day long while group after group of journalists and professional drivers took turns pounding the cars on the track. They only turned them off to put gas in them. The cars never missed a beat.

JoeB
02-19-2014, 06:44 AM
One more thing I'd like to add: The Abarth Experience cars should use cloth seats. I had a hard time staying put in my seat on hard cornering, which has never happened in my cloth Abarth. Leather is a nice luxury option for street cars, but it is not ideal for racetrack driving.

msjulie33
02-19-2014, 10:30 AM
One more thing I'd like to add: The Abarth Experience cars should use cloth seats. I had a hard time staying put in my seat on hard cornering, which has never happened in my cloth Abarth. Leather is a nice luxury option for street cars, but it is not ideal for racetrack driving.

:) The other thing would be seatbelt clips to keep them tight on your hips - people driving around legs splayed, trying to hold themselves against the door and center console vs being tossed about. It was all fun though.

http://www.amazon.com/Lock-Performance-Add-On-Your-Seatbelt/dp/B0010E7OB8

I will totally admit I have the cheap'o solution vs the above however :)

http://store.moreofmetolove.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/4/1/410942b_the_frankie_1_1.jpg

jdvrider
02-19-2014, 01:34 PM
So yesterday was an amazing day on the track! Only bummer is I got home and found that I have no video on my flash drive from the autocross or head to head modules, or the lap where I rode shotgun with the instructor. The track laps that I drove in both driving dynamics and the afternoon session only had the camera facing inside the car on and the outside one wasn't on so in their viewer the left pane is just black the whole way. Such a bummer that I can't see where I was actually going and can only see the view of myself behind the wheel.

Sent an e-mail to the abarth experience guys to find out if they capture the data in car at all or only on the drive, not hopeful but figured it was worth a shot.

The track day is a great experience and all of the crew was super professional, friendly, and helpful. I have nothing bad to say about it at all, just wish I had the actual video to show off to everyone. :)

shadowshaggy
02-19-2014, 01:37 PM
So...can you bring your own helmet or do you have to use the provided one? I like my tinted lens, don't dig having a helmet with sunglasses underneath - it sucks.

jdvrider
02-19-2014, 01:43 PM
So...can you bring your own helmet or do you have to use the provided one? I like my tinted lens, don't dig having a helmet with sunglasses underneath - it sucks.

We had a couple people in our groups that brought their own helmets and it was fine. You only need it for the road course modules, not head to head or autocross.

BecauseRacecar
02-19-2014, 02:30 PM
Only bummer is I got home and found that I have no video on my flash drive from the autocross or head to head modules, or the lap where I rode shotgun with the instructor. The track laps that I drove in both driving dynamics and the afternoon session only had the camera facing inside the car on and the outside one wasn't on so in their viewer the left pane is just black the whole way. Such a bummer that I can't see where I was actually going and can only see the view of myself [...]Same for me, several of my track video files were blank or corrupted.

I got about half of them that are usable.

Still super greatful, because what I *do* have is fantastic!

shadowshaggy
02-19-2014, 02:42 PM
Ok, there's gotta be something to that ordeal. I'm gonna be really upset if my flash drive don't work. I'm bringing my laptop and own flash drive, so there is that.

jdvrider
02-19-2014, 02:59 PM
Ok, there's gotta be something to that ordeal. I'm gonna be really upset if my flash drive don't work. I'm bringing my laptop and own flash drive, so there is that.

If you bring a laptop so you can pop in the drive after your first session and verify it worked that's not a bad idea. As for your own flash drive - their has the racekeeper software on it already that handles the naming/folder structure of the videos so it works with their player.

I do have some incomplete videos so in the folder they are video.avi.000 and according to their docs some of them can be renamed to video.avi and may play if the file is not corrupt. Left the drive at home so I'll mess with them later and see what else I can pull out of it.

BigDaddySRT
02-19-2014, 03:03 PM

They have computers around the site where you can view your recorded files.

jdvrider
02-19-2014, 03:08 PM
They have computers around the site where you can view your recorded files.

That may be track specific - yesterday at Laguna Seca there were no computers set up for viewing of the files.

vdog01
02-20-2014, 12:13 AM
Just wanted to add my 2 cents, I did the Laguna Seca course yesterday and I can't recall the last time I had so much fun! One thing I realised was that I really don't drive as fast as I thought I did :) The crew were extremely professional and safety conscious, so I give them full props!

Speaking of the USB drive, not all the videos appear to have been recorded either although I did download Race-Keeper Compro since that is supposed to be able to recover the corrupt files.

I really want to do a full on track day again!

msjulie33
02-20-2014, 01:49 AM
I think the reason some videos failed is the camera wasn't finished writing to the drive - i also have sound but no video on one of the head-to-head runs, bummer

cm-r
02-20-2014, 12:25 PM
I think the reason some videos failed is the camera wasn't finished writing to the drive - i also have sound but no video on one of the head-to-head runs, bummer

You're absolutely right about that. I noticed some instructors would wait till the flash was ready to be removed and some of them did not. I also have some corrupted vids, but most are fine. I was having such a good time, so I didn't even care that much. Plus I had my fiancÚ record my runs with her camera for back up. :)

pureflipking
02-20-2014, 01:11 PM
It was such a good time at the event! Laguna Seca is always the awesome track! Although i didnt get the HOtLap vid for some reason, but most of my vids work. It was nice meeting the guys there ( or whoever was in Team Psycho).

ABARTH TAMER
02-20-2014, 04:45 PM
That's an awesome drive. Most memorable for me was the drive in my brothers Alfa Romeo 1600 Veloce at 2AM on a warm August night with the top down.

Super excited for tomorrow!!

Finished the paragliding lessons today, and drove PCH/1 from Monterey to Cambria (through Big Sur) and back.

Enthusiastically.

See y'all tomorrow!

cm-r
02-20-2014, 05:36 PM
It was such a good time at the event! Laguna Seca is always the awesome track! Although i didnt get the HOtLap vid for some reason, but most of my vids work. It was nice meeting the guys there ( or whoever was in Team Psycho).

It was nice meeting you too. I was on team Hollywood.. I remember you said you were from diamond bar, CA and it took you 5 hours to get Laguna seca. I was the guy with my fiancÚ and we're from dublin, ca (east Bay Area) and it took us 1 hour 30 min to get back. Did you and your dad make it back okay? Cause I was tired/ sleepy as hell, but would do it again in a heart beat.

bfox
02-20-2014, 06:46 PM
Just wanted to echo what others have already said, it was a great (and exhausting) event!
It was great meeting some of you there too.
I'm hoping to look at all my videos soon on a windows PC to see what the deal is with them.
There's a thread here from 2012 that indicated all may no be lost:
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?6822-USB-Storage-Device-and-getting-the-footage-that-you-thought-was-lost

Shagnwrx
02-21-2014, 11:27 AM

I ran into this in 2012 for the Daytona event... After drilling down into the file structure I found that most of the videos were there, but I had to download racekeeper from their site to get to them.

I detailed the instructions in this post from the "Sticky"
Recovering "lost" video from USB racekeeper device (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?6822-USB-Storage-Device-and-getting-the-footage-that-you-thought-was-lost&p=573608&viewfull=1#post573608)

pureflipking
02-21-2014, 01:27 PM
It was nice meeting you too. I was on team Hollywood.. I remember you said you were from diamond bar, CA and it took you 5 hours to get Laguna seca. I was the guy with my fiancÚ and we're from dublin, ca (east Bay Area) and it took us 1 hour 30 min to get back. Did you and your dad make it back okay? Cause I was tired/ sleepy as hell, but would do it again in a heart beat.
Cool Man!! yeah we made it back fine... well with some swerving lol i was falling asleep and my dad was passed out ( thank god for that lane change assist warning on the audi). We actually did a mini caravan with the LA/Corona guys tll they decided to just go balls out around grapevine and left me lol. but i caught up.. and it woke me up