PDA

View Full Version : This thing needs a "Y" pipe

AudiGuy
02-03-2014, 09:46 PM
While under the car I noticed the "T" pipe separating the 2 exhaust tips. I'm sure most of you know that this is major killer of flow. I'm almost positive it plays a part in the magical crackle a gurgle that comes out of the Avarths exhaust. I'm wondering if anyone gas addressed this, and what the result was. I think just removing the "T" and replacing it with "Y" should (in theory) make a big difference in the flow of the exhaust, and maybe pick up a little power. It most definitely affect the sound.

Anyone done it..?

Abarth619
02-03-2014, 10:02 PM
Its something I've pondered and I'm sure that would increase flow nicely and be cheap to do at the same time. I personally love the way this car sounds stock though, in fact its one of the few cars I've had that I didn't feel the need to replace or modify the exhaust. I also love telling people that the exhaust is 100% stock hehe. If I do the exhaust I'm going to just do a full exhaust with a bigger pipe size as well.

AudiGuy
02-03-2014, 10:35 PM
Its something I've pondered and I'm sure that would increase flow nicely and be cheap to do at the same time. I personally love the way this car sounds stock though, in fact its one of the few cars I've had that I didn't feel the need to replace or modify the exhaust. I also love telling people that the exhaust is 100% stock hehe. If I do the exhaust I'm going to just do a full exhaust with a bigger pipe size as well.

I love the sound too! I would still like to go buy the right sized "y" and some nicer tips and put it together. I think it would be a nice/cheap mod.

slowbird
02-04-2014, 09:02 AM
While under the car I noticed the "T" pipe separating the 2 exhaust tips.

Is yours a '12 or '13?

I only ask since the '12 seems to have that fake muffler thing at the back. I haven't been under my car yet but I wonder if it's a single pipe into the fake muffler and then it's open in there with 2 exits into the tail-pipes?

AudiGuy
02-04-2014, 09:25 AM
Is yours a '12 or '13?

I only ask since the '12 seems to have that fake muffler thing at the back. I haven't been under my car yet but I wonder if it's a single pipe into the fake muffler and then it's open in there with 2 exits into the tail-pipes?

Mine is a 13" it doesnt have no stinkin mufflers.

Dwaynek
02-04-2014, 09:33 AM
Only a few ofvthe early 2012's had the European suitcase on until the ruling that the abarth did not need a muffler.

slowbird
02-04-2014, 09:39 AM
Mine is a 13" it doesnt have no stinkin mufflers.

lol! Not really a muffler. Just somethign that looks like a muffler.

I wonder if it's hollow inside or if it has the T-Pipe inside. If it's hollow than it's probably a tad better off than the post 2012 T pipes.

AudiGuy
02-04-2014, 09:44 AM
lol! Not really a muffler. Just somethign that looks like a muffler.

I wonder if it's hollow inside or if it has the T-Pipe inside. If it's hollow than it's probably a tad better off than the post 2012 T pipes.

Interesting. I wonder how much flow you would free up by decatting and adding the "Y".

BigT
02-04-2014, 10:38 AM
Interesting. I wonder how much flow you would free up by decatting and adding the "Y".

Decatting would free up a ton but also cause a CEL. Y pipe in the rear would increase flow as well but not as well as upgraded downpipe with a full 2.5" exhaust all the way out the back.

AudiGuy
02-04-2014, 10:53 AM
Depending what is triggering the CEL, there might be a way around it (angle block spacer).

BigT
02-04-2014, 11:35 AM
Angle block spacer might work but I'm not sure.

Ryephile
02-04-2014, 12:20 PM
While under the car I noticed the "T" pipe separating the 2 exhaust tips. I'm sure most of you know that this is major killer of flow. I'm almost positive it plays a part in the magical crackle a gurgle that comes out of the Avarths exhaust. I'm wondering if anyone gas addressed this, and what the result was. I think just removing the "T" and replacing it with "Y" should (in theory) make a big difference in the flow of the exhaust, and maybe pick up a little power. It most definitely affect the sound.

Anyone done it..?

There's lower hanging fruit than the axle-back. IMO you should fix the Evap and intercooler boost leaks first. After that, NorcalSS's expanded downpipe exit (the rest of the downpipe is fine) along with a non-crushed mid-pipe. The big power gains are going with a FMIC, low-restriction airbox, and an ECU solution.

AudiGuy
02-04-2014, 12:43 PM
There's lower hanging fruit than the axle-back. IMO you should fix the Evap and intercooler boost leaks first. After that, NorcalSS's expanded downpipe exit (the rest of the downpipe is fine) along with a non-crushed mid-pipe. The big power gains are going with a FMIC, low-restriction airbox, and an ECU solution.

The ECU and V4 CAI are on their way. Im a little hesitant to go FMIC though for two reasons..

1. Dont want any warrnaty issues.
2. Most front mounts block the radiator. In Florida heat, thats a no-no.

How does the intercooler and evap have a boost leak?

shadowshaggy
02-04-2014, 01:31 PM
Well, the factory intercooler has 11-12 connection points, the FMIC has 4. The evap reroute goes from 5-6 connections to like 2-3, Ryephile is the guy to talk to about that one. He did an awesome evap reroute, it needs to be submitted to Fiat/Mopar as a TSB or Recall. It works so much better than factory it's unreal.

AudiGuy
02-04-2014, 04:57 PM
Well, the factory intercooler has 11-12 connection points, the FMIC has 4. The evap reroute goes from 5-6 connections to like 2-3, Ryephile is the guy to talk to about that one. He did an awesome evap reroute, it needs to be submitted to Fiat/Mopar as a TSB or Recall. It works so much better than factory it's unreal.

Nice!! Id love to hear more about it.

Lil' Jon
02-04-2014, 07:00 PM
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?10140-How-To-Evaporative-Re-Route-and-Boost-Leak-Fix&highlight=ryephile+evap

tknospdr
02-04-2014, 07:13 PM
Take your time, it's only 63 pages long. I actually DID read through the entire thread when I first joined. Lots of great info there.

AudiGuy
02-05-2014, 10:02 AM
Take your time, it's only 63 pages long. I actually DID read through the entire thread when I first joined. Lots of great info there.

Started to last night. Ill read it all. Just may take a while.

dylansi
02-05-2014, 04:58 PM
Decatting would free up a ton but also cause a CEL. Y pipe in the rear would increase flow as well but not as well as upgraded downpipe with a full 2.5" exhaust all the way out the back.

^^This exactly what I have. Snaps, crackles, and pops are even more prevalent and loud back fires with almost every WOT 6k+ RPM shift