PDA

View Full Version : Cold no start condition (again)

markinmad
01-28-2014, 05:54 PM
The last polar vortex event had the car not starting after a day sitting in the parking lot at work. This morning, -15F, went out and the car cranks and cranks but no fire.

Turned around and took the 500T instead, it started up no problem.

shadowshaggy
01-28-2014, 05:55 PM
Oil pressure, has to be. That seems to be the only thing that causes cold start issues with any of the Fiats. Get it running for a minute, kill it, check the oil level, back up and punt. Other than that, idk.

markinmad
01-29-2014, 12:59 PM
Tried last night and again this morning and she's still a no-go. One thing I noticed last night was that the dome lights dim with the beat of the engine turning over. Suppose the voltage could be dropping enough that the ECU isn't happy?

Today is supposed to warm up a little - maybe into the teens this afternoon. We'll see then.

Rodrigo568
01-29-2014, 08:40 PM
Tried last night and again this morning and she's still a no-go. One thing I noticed last night was that the dome lights dim with the beat of the engine turning over. Suppose the voltage could be dropping enough that the ECU isn't happy?

Today is supposed to warm up a little - maybe into the teens this afternoon. We'll see then.

Lights dimming while cranking the engine should be normal. Theres an easy way to find out if your battery is weak, Jump start your car with the help of another car.

markinmad
01-30-2014, 02:22 PM
The first time this happened I was at work and got a jump and it started. I didn't try this time because it was in the driveway and I just took the T instead. Next time it happens I'll try giving it a boost.

VALibertarian
02-03-2014, 05:32 PM
I had the same problem when it got down into the single digits. I cranked and cranked then after about the fourth attempt, it finally started. My Jeep, 2003 BMW and even my 17 year old farm truck started on the first try without issue that same morning.

Lil' Jon
02-03-2014, 07:55 PM
FYI: My SA just told me that she's replaced 4 batteries on L's under warranty after the recent cold-snap we had. She said every car was left in a garage, unlocked and wasn't driven for a week. We concluded that it likely has to do with a module keeping the car awake and draining power if the doors aren't locked.

Not sure if that sounds like anything you guys are experiencing but wanted to throw it out there.

markinmad
02-04-2014, 11:31 AM
It does seem to be an L thing, every time it didn't start I walked over to the Turbo and drove that to work instead.