PDA

View Full Version : Audio volumes via USB

Thad
01-28-2014, 03:05 PM
It's almost three years that I have owned my 500 and I've finally figured one thing out that always bugged me.
When playing music back from either a USB drive or my Iphone via the USB connection, The audio level was significantly low. By low, I mean if the radio or CD was normally set to say, 15, I would need to set the volume to 35 when playing USB. I have found that files saved to USB or iPhone as .WAV will play at a low level. If files are .MP3, they play at an appropriate level similar to other sources such as CD or Radio.
I am an audio engineer by trade and can not stand listening to .MP3 files(don't get me started on how bad Sirrus audio quality is). Wav files are what I prefer to listen to. So, I don't know how to fix this situation but I finally found a cause to the problem I have.

shadowshaggy
01-28-2014, 03:09 PM
Well, as an audio engineer you ought to know that if you "record" the files are a lower volume - as most .WAV files I've run across then yeah you'll have a volume issue. .MP3's are usually quite loud in comparison. Not to be a tool, but just wanted to point that out. Use an audio editor program to re-encode the .WAV files at a louder volume, easy enough fix. You do have to have a proper program to do it with, but there's plenty available.

Friendly advice, previously been there done that.....oops, I grenaded a sub last time........

Thad
01-28-2014, 04:36 PM
But the idea is that I shouldn't need to change audio levels. It's s file transfer to the USB drive. No changes. I have even taken the same WAV files and converted them directly to MP3 and the MP3s are louder. The CD that plays at the proper level 'should' let me play the exact same files directly off a USB at the same level.

shadowshaggy
01-28-2014, 05:11 PM
Misread me I think, when the files are ripped you have a selection - usually - to rip them at certain rates (video is FPS, don't remember audio rate names tho) and that affects volume. MP3's are converted at a higher rate - hence a quality difference and a volume difference as well. .WAV can be re-encoded to a different rate and volume, I don't have a program to do audio at the moment otherwise I'd send you a sample, all I have encoding for is video files.

Re-encode .WAV to MP3, then on the convert back check the options - you should have one that allows you to edit the rate at which it re-encodes (bit-rate maybe?) Again, just don't remember, I stopped ripping audio files a while back.....just video editing for work occasionally now.

Tweak
01-28-2014, 10:07 PM
Misread me I think, when the files are ripped you have a selection - usually - to rip them at certain rates (video is FPS, don't remember audio rate names tho) and that affects volume. MP3's are converted at a higher rate - hence a quality difference and a volume difference as well. .WAV can be re-encoded to a different rate and volume, I don't have a program to do audio at the moment otherwise I'd send you a sample, all I have encoding for is video files.

Re-encode .WAV to MP3, then on the convert back check the options - you should have one that allows you to edit the rate at which it re-encodes (bit-rate maybe?) Again, just don't remember, I stopped ripping audio files a while back.....just video editing for work occasionally now.

Bit-rate and/or kbps perhaps what you were after?

shadowshaggy
01-29-2014, 12:30 AM
Prohaps, I dont recall it really has been a while since I've done it.

redred
01-29-2014, 02:11 AM
It has nothing to do with the file type at all. It's the Digital to Analog conversion happening in the USB connection. The Blue & Me has a very low audio level for some odd reason. Take the iPhone for instance. Using the USB connection, if I'm listening to a well engineered track, I will listen at around a level of 32. If I use a good quality dock connector to 1/8" adapter and I plug it in to the Aux input, I need to turn down to around 22 for the same loudness level.

Don't get why they did it that way, but it is a flaw in the design of the Blue & Me head unit.

Felnus
01-29-2014, 07:21 AM
In my experience, it is the files and not the USB causing the issue. I've ripped almost every CD I own over the years at various times using various programs and most of them play at the same volume as the radio, CD, or Sirius in my 500. However, there are some that I have to crank to 25 or 30 to get them to my normal listening level which is 15 to 20. But it is always the same files. Your mileage may vary. As far as the AUX input goes, there is a setting in either Blue & Me or the radio that allows you to amplify the incoming signal. That may account for your volume difference, Redred.

Tweak
01-29-2014, 12:20 PM
I don't know how you guys listen to the radio at levels beyond 20, I usually have mine on 8 and hear it fine, sometimes I will go all the way to 14 but usually just stick with 8-12.

This is with windows closed of course, when open getting around 20 and low 20's is more ideal.

redred
01-29-2014, 12:21 PM
Keep in mind that I have a completely custom sound system installed, but using the stock Blue & Me head unit. It's possible the amp levels are different than stock, but it is plenty loud enough for me.