PDA

View Full Version : Shifter doesn't properly go in reverse

Lil' Jon
01-28-2014, 12:56 AM
Firstly, I know there are threads on difficulties going into first, but I haven't seen anything about reverse. Forgive me if this should not be a new thread.

I'm having a consistent (i.e. pretty much all the time) issue where when I engage reverse, the gear selector will not go all the way to where it's supposed to be no matter how hard or how many times I try. It seems that once I start letting out the clutch pedal, the shifter jumps down and to the left and engages. There has been no grinding except for when it randomly has happened two times, which was frustrating as there was nothing different and now has left me worried every time I have to back up. I also have difficulty engaging in first occasionally as well as a rare grind going from second to third. I'm about to take it in to my studio shortly (Only at 3,500 miles) but I'm worried they'll be unable to replicate or call it normal.

My car had 100 miles on it when I got it new, so it had clearly been test driven some and the studio I got it from didn't put the warning about going into reverse on until after I'd bought it so I'm paranoid that damage was done then, seeing as I baby my transmissions.

Thoughts? Similar experiences? Snide remarks?

BecauseRacecar
01-28-2014, 02:04 AM
Very similar to issues I had -- possible common causes, from the research I've done:

- Shifter cable adjustment/alignment
- Transmission oil flush
- Clutch throwout adjustment
- Transmission clutch / gear engagement splines need greasing [this is what did it for me, oddly]
- Bad C510 gearbox, needing replacement

EDIT:

Question for you - does it get better with everything you stated once the transmission is warmed up? (driven for a half hour, say)

Also bear in mind that reverse gear isn't synchro'd, so applying, say, 5-10lb pressure toward reverse while gently/slightly letting up on the clutch just enough to pop it in is "normal" from everyone I've asked.

If you go into another gear, say 4th, then into reverse, it should be a bit better.

Lil' Jon
01-28-2014, 03:04 AM
The issue does resolve itself after warming up, yes.

Haring
01-28-2014, 09:23 AM
Very common issue. I usually shift 1, 2, 1, R and it goes in with no problem.

meatball
01-28-2014, 09:47 AM
Same problem here. I put it in 1st then reverse and it engages fine.

aevansgatech
01-28-2014, 10:28 AM
You can also try going 4th before reverse

Someone mentioned that on another thread and since I've been doing that I haven't "crunched" going into reverse

For me, it's easier to go straight down then over

Ryephile
01-28-2014, 10:32 AM
Nudge the syncros in 1st, then go to reverse. Did your car have the notification tag around the shifter when you took delivery? It says as much, mainly to remind you that this transmission earns its nickname "Rock Crusher" admirably.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5315/7419587172_98ce870cc7_z.jpg

Fiat500USA
01-28-2014, 12:05 PM
The issue does resolve itself after warming up, yes.

I don't know where you are located, but did this start happening now that the weather has been unusually cold? Where I am, the outside temp has been consistently around 0 - 5 degrees and the transmission is noticeably stiff to operate. I've worked around Italian cars all my life and I have to say that whether it is a Fiat or a Ferrari, in general the transmissions can be very stiff to operate when cold. Sometimes this can be handled with a fluid change. Like I said, I don't know if it's freezing where you're at or 50 degrees. I've noticed this on my own car when the temps get down to the 30s and 40s or colder. Transmissions can also be stiff until broken in and then they'll free up some. In any case, it's good to document the issue at the dealer in writing and while you are there, maybe you can try another car and see how it is.

zyxelenator
01-28-2014, 12:27 PM
Correct me if Im wrong, but reverse gear does not have synchro on this car. Usually it happens when car is cold and rpms are higher when you just started your fiat. I usually don't have problem reversing when car is fully warm and idle rpms stay in lower range. I usually shift to 1 or 3 then R when backing out of garage, or just hold clutch longer. I had similar things happen on 99 v6 Camry, but it was old and worn out with 150k, 3rd gear syncro would grind if you shift to fast and hard to reverse, sometimes impossible without shifting to 1st or 3rd prior.

Lil' Jon
01-28-2014, 07:55 PM
Nudge the syncros in 1st, then go to reverse. Did your car have the notification tag around the shifter when you took delivery? It says as much, mainly to remind you that this transmission earns its nickname "Rock Crusher" admirably.

You can also try going 4th before reverse

Someone mentioned that on another thread and since I've been doing that I haven't "crunched" going into reverse

For me, it's easier to go straight down then over

Same problem here. I put it in 1st then reverse and it engages fine.

Thanks all,

Car came with tag on at time of delivery, I usually depress the clutch for 5 seconds, go into first, then go to reverse and have the trouble. I'll try fourth gear and a few others first.

I don't know where you are located, but did this start happening now that the weather has been unusually cold? Where I am, the outside temp has been consistently around 0 - 5 degrees and the transmission is noticeably stiff to operate. I've worked around Italian cars all my life and I have to say that whether it is a Fiat or a Ferrari, in general the transmissions can be very stiff to operate when cold. Sometimes this can be handled with a fluid change. Like I said, I don't know if it's freezing where you're at or 50 degrees. I've noticed this on my own car when the temps get down to the 30s and 40s or colder. Transmissions can also be stiff until broken in and then they'll free up some. In any case, it's good to document the issue at the dealer in writing and while you are there, maybe you can try another car and see how it is.

I'm in Cincinnati so it's been around -5 - 30 degrees F lately. I'm in a garage thankfully but it is likely a cold issue. I'll have plenty of time before I reach 12,000 miles to make sure that it's fine in normal temps. I'll mention it to the dealer though, I'm going in for some paint peeling work under warranty next week.

Many thanks, everyone.

sczuylevch13
02-01-2014, 12:25 PM
i have the same problem even today 43 degrees outside car hot and it still does it. not all the time but if i feel it didn't go in i just let the clutch out a hair while applying light pressure on the shifter and it clicks in. i think i can live with it at this point but if it gets worse over time the studio may be seeing my baby.

Lil' Jon
02-03-2014, 08:02 PM
Update: While I had her in for another repair, I had them look at the clutch, even though I assumed there was nothing to be done. They did find a small amount of slack to tighten up and the transmission is now infinitely better following an adjustment. Initial impression is that I was having such minor resistance going into gears that I'd stopped thinking it was abnormal. All gears engaged completely smoothly at all appropriate speeds on the drive home. I don't anticipate difficulties with going into first or reverse but will report back if I notice something else.

Definitely have the studio take a look to make sure everything is optimal, that's why they're there and it won't cost you anything assuming you are under warranty.

GoHack
02-10-2014, 07:13 PM
I've had the issue w/Reverse w/mine on minor occasions. Today, as a matter of fact, though it has't happened in a long time. There's no grinding, but just having the gear pop out because it isn't fully engage.

It's nothing I'm really concerned about at the moment. You just have to pay attention, and to be careful going into gear. Don't force it, but as others have said, to first go into 4th, then into Reverse

Tweak
02-10-2014, 07:43 PM
Lately for some reason without really thinking I have noticed I am going 3rd, 4th, then reverse, works out fine of course and I figure it'll keep happening.