PDA

View Full Version : "Rattling" noise when letting off the clutch in 1st

YoungEnthusiast
01-27-2014, 11:51 PM
Hey guys,
Weird noise when I start off in first. If I don't use any gas and let it creep I'll get this sort of rattling noise when the clutch is grabbing. It doesn't happen if I use enough gas and not let the rpms drop a little below idle. It only started yesterday and I was hoping it would go away but it didn't (Which is why I'm posting here lol). I read something on a civic and Mercedes forum that sounds similar to this and they said it wasn't a big deal but I'm wondering what you guys think. Just want to make sure it's not damaging, going to call the studio anyway. Thanks for your input.

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/mechanical-problems-technical-chat/237174-groaning-sound-when-letting-clutch-out-slowly.html
http://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/290706-rattle-flapping-noise-when-letting-off-clutch-first-gear.html

shadowshaggy
01-28-2014, 12:00 AM
If you've never had a small 4-cyl car before, I cam see your concern. Short story, dont take off like that it's bad for the clutch. I've been driving cars this size for years and none of them like takin off at 800 rpms. 1100-'1300 is all groovy, and won't wear the clutch like 700-800 will. What your hearing is chatter in conjunction with groaning because of the load vs power it's producing.

YoungEnthusiast
01-28-2014, 01:09 AM
If you've never had a small 4-cyl car before, I cam see your concern. Short story, dont take off like that it's bad for the clutch. I've been driving cars this size for years and none of them like takin off at 800 rpms. 1100-'1300 is all groovy, and won't wear the clutch like 700-800 will. What your hearing is chatter in conjunction with groaning because of the load vs power it's producing.
So do you think my clutch is pretty warn out already or is it not a big deal? I don't always take off like that, just when I want to creep a little bit.

Abarth619
01-28-2014, 01:30 AM
So do you think my clutch is pretty warn out already or is it not a big deal? I don't always take off like that, just when I want to creep a little bit. That really depends on how many miles you've been doing it for.

YoungEnthusiast
01-28-2014, 01:49 AM
That really depends on how many miles you've been doing it for.
The car only has around 10,700 miles, less than a year old.