PDA

View Full Version : Neu-F tork arm insert question

lammie200
01-27-2014, 01:57 PM
Has anybody trimmed there's down before putting it in? I have mine in but would like less vibration at idle. Just wondering if anyone has taken this further than just popping it in. I just bought another one to experiment with.

BTW, for those that are wondering, the custom designed tork arms that AAD offers looks like a great product, but it won't fit a non turbo model. The Neu-F insert fits both models, but the tork arm itself is different.

MikahB
01-28-2014, 02:37 PM
PM Sent.

Radagast
02-04-2014, 09:39 AM
I ordered one thinking I might cut it apart and insert one “tab” at a time perhaps utilizing a polyurithane roofing sealant as the glue.( i hear they fall out, lol) Or maybe trim the edges of all three tabs.I wonder if the base is just there to keep it from falling out and could be removed.~Anyway, hows the throttle response with the unmodified insert?

lammie200
02-04-2014, 12:50 PM
I ordered one thinking I might cut it apart and insert one “tab” at a time perhaps utilizing a polyurithane roofing sealant as the glue.( i hear they fall out, lol) Or maybe trim the edges of all three tabs.I wonder if the base is just there to keep it from falling out and could be removed.~Anyway, hows the throttle response with the unmodified insert?

Here's a pic of the second one that I put in. I rounded the edges of the top two tabs before I put it in though.

In all honesty I think removing the tabs from the backing and gluing them in separately is not the way to go. I think that you are better off shaving the backing down so it isn't as thick. I don't think that it will fall out with the backing in place even if it is thinner. You can take off quite a bit of material to make the whole thing much more pliable. The thickness of the backing is what is binding up on my install. I have a bike hitch on order, and cy-clone33 is making me a lower front brace. Once I get those items I will shave down both my full insert and this one to see if I can get one of them to do what I want it to do. It is a very easy install on a lift. You need to support the engine with a stand though. Otherwise the whole engine will move and make it more difficult. The only downside of installing and reinstalling, rinse, repeat, etc. is that you need to take the exhaust off the downpipe. Easy to do but you need to be careful with the bolts and studs. PB Blaster to remove the bolts.

I am not sure that I got the correct effect of having these inserts in because of the binding issue. If anything I got more of an effect than what was intended by Neu-F. Definitely more vibration at idle than they probably intended. However, what I did feel was a pretty decent improvement off the line and much smoother shifting. All in all a much more "purposeful" feeling about the car's response. These cars really suffer from engine rocking. Being such a small car I notice the engine rocking disrupting acceleration especially at slow speeds. From what I experienced, these things take the engine rocking out of the equation, thus a much smoother and more direct ride.

P.S. I have no idea what my 0-60 times are, but I honestly can't call my car slow. It felt even better with either of the two inserts in place. I am not giving up.

gundam2000
04-09-2014, 10:37 AM
I might remove the backing plate and screw in a few screws into the pieces. then run lockwire around the screws so they cant fall out.