PDA

View Full Version : Bigger compressor wheel on Gt1446 turbo?

boostaddict
01-25-2014, 05:50 AM
I'm working with a shop that just works on turbo's. they said they could upgrade the compressor wheel to 50 by 65mm does anyone know what power difference this will make?

dart1.4t
01-25-2014, 05:36 PM
That would be a bad idea. A, surge. The surge line will move to the right and cause unstable boost at lower engine speeds.. This means you have to use the boost controls (not possible with a passive waste gate but with our car a clever tuner could ramp boost as he sees fit) to set a boost curve that agrees with the engine... And B. The exhaust section is so small we already have excess back pressure at increased power levels. You could increase power a bit more with a bigger turbo but not as much as that impeller could in theory do unless you had extreme boost levels. Anyway even if you stopped to 300 whp the back pressure would be at pretty ridiculous levels.

A better option would be to alter a larger turbo to fit the stock down pipe. And that's already being worked on.. But competition is always good.

TorkMe
01-29-2014, 09:32 PM
We should have something on a car in the next 3 to 4 weeks for testing.

We have two different compressor wheels and one will require some exhaust housing machine work.

First is a 42/54mm billet compressor wheel. Should be good for a 40 to 50 HP bump over the stock turbo

Next is a 46/56 billet compressor wheel and we increased the stack height on this wheel to increase air flow

There is some work that needs to be done to the exhaust housing but we have done similar work in the past to increase the exhaust flow without effecting spool time.

The turbine wheel is small, but its not so much the size of the turbine wheel that is the problem.

boostaddict
01-30-2014, 09:04 PM
We should have something on a car in the next 3 to 4 weeks for testing.

We have two different compressor wheels and one will require some exhaust housing machine work.

First is a 42/54mm billet compressor wheel. Should be good for a 40 to 50 HP bump over the stock turbo

Next is a 46/56 billet compressor wheel and we increased the stack height on this wheel to increase air flow

There is some work that needs to be done to the exhaust housing but we have done similar work in the past to increase the exhaust flow without effecting spool time.

The turbine wheel is small, but its not so much the size of the turbine wheel that is the problem.

I figured 50/65mm was a little too much. I am very interested in the results!!!

Yorkman1
01-31-2014, 07:09 PM
Yea cant wait. I'll let ya know what 300whp is like

boostaddict
02-01-2014, 06:02 AM
Ya how's that clutch holding up :)

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
04-03-2014, 09:21 PM
11070I picked up this GT 1752S today and haven't decided what to do with it. It is what some of the vendors are selling as an upgraded unit. I will need to put bigger injection and a tune but could do the trick11069