PDA

View Full Version : Gucci Trade In

Sealy
01-21-2014, 04:38 PM
We have a very nice 2012 white Gucci 500C that we bought for a fun car and are just not using enough. We've got 2,400 miles on it. As we're getting ready to turn in a daily driver leased MINI, we took the Fiat to Mazda to see about trading it in on a Mazda3. Trade in value is $13K. That's a whole lot of depreciation on a car that had a $30K sticker 2 years ago. Looks like we'll be keeping it a bit longer. :disturbed:

Andree
01-21-2014, 05:54 PM
I don't think they gave you the value of the Gucci model!

http://www.kbb.com/fiat/500/2012-fiat-500/500c-gucci-convertible-2d/?condition=very-good&vehicleid=374568&intent=trade-in-sell&mileage=2400&category=convertible&val=a&ref=http%3a%2f%2fwww.kbb.com%2ffiat%2f500%2f2012-fiat-500%2fstyles%2f&pricetype=trade-in

It's $3,600 more for the Gucci at KBB (I'm using my zip code)

I tried over at Edmunds Appraise My Car, and there isn't a way to choose the Gucci model, so their values are less.

http://www.edmunds.com/fiat/500/2012/tmv-appraise-results.html

Looking at retail values, they can vary a lot, via Auto Trader:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/searchresults.xhtml?zip=94132&endYear=2012&keywordPhrases=Gucci&modelCode1=FIAT500&showcaseOwnerId=67018217&startYear=2012&makeCode1=FIAT&listingType=used&listingTypes=used&searchRadius=0&bodyStyleCodes=CONVERT&mmt=%5BFIAT%5BFIAT500%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&showcaseOwnerId=67018217&captureSearch=true&Log=0

Hope those links work, they're search results. You could try running an ad yourself for what you think your car is worth, and see if there are any buyers locally. The dealers give very low prices on vehicles for trade-in. At least, that's what I felt on my last car.

Also, you seem to change vehicles a lot, is that correct? If so, you may be better off in the future to lease only, do not buy. You get your new car every few years, and no worries about selling your previous car.

Because it sounds like you haven't found the right car for you, yet. It's like Goldilocks, too big, too small, too this or that. You can have a lease with an option to buy at the end, if it turns out to be the right car for you. If not, go to the next car.

Andree
01-21-2014, 06:04 PM
Also, back when I was looking at the Gucci and regular models, my insurance company didn't differentiate between the Gucci Lounge and the regular Lounge. I don't know if they do now, or not. But the Gucci has very distinctive options, and would obviously be more expensive to repair/replace if there were an accident. Seats, seat belts, steering wheel, convertible top, wheels, etc.

Wherever you trade it in, or if you sell it, be sure that the place/person understands the difference between the regular and the Gucci models. The white model has the brushed finish chrome trim too. It's all more expensive to replace and harder to find.

It's not a car for the average person.

I'm sure a whole lot of people would quickly give you more than what the dealer offered, if they know the difference between a Gucci and the regular Lounge.

Sealy
01-21-2014, 07:00 PM
Thanks all for your input. Mazda was aware it was a special edition - they even conferred with the Fiat dealership. Fiat tried to get them to bump it up to $14K. I did check KBB and Edmunds and searched ads and thought it should be higher. As a household, we probably switch more than we should - but the two cars I've leased were probably my biggest mistakes and two I was happy to turn in. I have two long-term cars that I own (Ford Ranger & Ford T-Bird). I was going back to ownership of the Mazda3 because I was really happy with my 3. Long story why I gave it up. I'll wait till spring and see if anyone is looking for a nice little Italian convertible and go from there.

NGEN
01-22-2014, 09:24 AM
Unfortunately, the resale value on the Fiat is fairly low because of all the monster rebates going on. I think moving forward for 2014 (my personal opinion not fact) is they won't make as many so they can avoid just giving them away or just sitting on lots. I might be wrong. If you were selling it to a Fiat studio, you would probably get closer to $16k. Keep us updated. Who knows in a few months we might be interested in it so we can have both colors of the Gucci (Jennifer loves the Gucci model and would love to have both convertibles LOL - she has the black one now).

bryanintowson
01-22-2014, 11:41 AM
Keep us posted, Sealy! Sorry to hear you're wanting to leave the FIAT family. I'll ask around since I'm local to you and see if anyone I know might want to pick it up from you.

Sealy
01-22-2014, 02:21 PM
Thanks, again, all for input and comments. We're not leaving Fiat unsatisfied. We're just thining our herd getting ready for retirement. The Fiat only has 2400 miles on it - it competes with 2 Mercedes SLs and the T-Bird for top down motoring on nice days. And the truck bed comes in real handy for things that won't fit in the Fiat trunk (anything bigger than a six-pack). But, I will say that before the snow hit, I used it over the weekend and it did rekindle my Italian side. Maybe I'll just keep it as my daily driver.

shadowshaggy
01-22-2014, 02:30 PM
Ditch the SL's...GO ITALIAN!

Sealy
01-22-2014, 02:51 PM
Ditch the SL's...GO ITALIAN!

The SLs belong to my husband. The plan would be to ditch him and the SLs would go as a bonus.

shadowshaggy
01-22-2014, 03:34 PM
xyxwave

Andree
01-22-2014, 06:27 PM
Thanks, again, all for input and comments. We're not leaving Fiat unsatisfied. We're just thining our herd getting ready for retirement. The Fiat only has 2400 miles on it - it competes with 2 Mercedes SLs and the T-Bird for top down motoring on nice days. And the truck bed comes in real handy for things that won't fit in the Fiat trunk (anything bigger than a six-pack). But, I will say that before the snow hit, I used it over the weekend and it did rekindle my Italian side. Maybe I'll just keep it as my daily driver.

Oh yes! I would go for the Fiat as YOUR car (and get it put only in YOUR name).

The Gucci Lounge is a cool car, no doubt. I especially like the convertible, with the fancy convertible top. When I was looking, and couldn't find a regular white Lounge, I looked at the white Gucci online. Only the white Gucci had the brushed finish chrome, it wasn't on anything else at the time. I checked into the parts, and realized it was "too rich" for me. All the special brushed finish parts were more expensive, so that even a bumper scrape would be costly. The white wheels aren't just in stock at any Fiat dealership, and all the parts might be very hard to get in the future.

No matter what the value placed on the vehicle is as a trade-in, I know darn well it's a very expensive vehicle.

It probably gets much better mpg than the other vehicles you have. Totally fun for a run-about. Enjoy it!

bryanintowson
01-23-2014, 02:48 PM
I have always thought the Gucci rims were the best looking ones you could get.

FTY
01-23-2014, 03:49 PM
the sls belong to my husband. The plan would be to ditch him and the sls would go as a bonus.

lol!!!!!

Sealy
01-23-2014, 06:32 PM
I have always thought the Gucci rims were the best looking ones you could get.

Oh, yes. The white ones are fabulous. After this is all over, you can come down and clean them and make them look nice all over again. :smile:

Andree
01-23-2014, 07:10 PM
Oh, yes. The white ones are fabulous. After this is all over, you can come down and clean them and make them look nice all over again. :smile:

haha! I felt that the Gucci model, especially the white with white wheels, was for people who were rich. The people who have people clean their cars for them.

If you're keeping your Gucci, you could check out the wheels for the 1957 edition in white. Keep your original Gucci wheels, of course. But have the MUCH easier to clean wheels put on for your daily driver wheels.

Link right to the wheels on display:
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?12583-Fiat-Shows-Off-The-500L-at-SEMA&p=637811&viewfull=1#post637811

The 1957 edition thread:
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?12680-New-Fiat-500-%931957-Edition%94-to-Debut!

This makes your car much more useable on a daily basis without the dread of tiny nooks and crannies of the lacy Gucci wheels.

Fiatwins
01-23-2014, 08:04 PM
What are the specifics on your car and what would you like to get for the car, my parents are looking for a Gucci right now?

Sealy
01-23-2014, 11:08 PM
It's your basic white Gucci with navigation. For now, I think I'm going to hang on to it. The MINI goes in May, so I'll see how the Fiat does on daily duty. I'll appreciate it more as the weather warms up. After that, we'll see what happens.

Andree
01-24-2014, 04:39 AM
What are the specifics on your car and what would you like to get for the car, my parents are looking for a Gucci right now?

Oooh! I'll help look!

Austin has two in white with the double black interior (which also includes the dark head and tail lamps and black wheels):
http://www.fiatusaofaustin.com/new/FIAT/2013-FIAT-500-Austin+TX-86b3ff530a0a006501982af816cc2b11.htm
and
http://www.fiatusaofaustin.com/new/FIAT/2013-FIAT-500-Austin+TX-8bda4eb80a0a00e0012b75303112d363.htm

Where are you looking Fiatwins and what preferences do your parents have? The 2013 Guccis are on sale right now too, along with other 2013s.

Sealy
01-24-2014, 07:53 AM
The 2013 Guccis are on sale right now too, along with other 2013s.

That's the other thing that's screwing us. We bought the 2012 Gucci as a one-time limited edition. Had a heck of time finding one with nav and grabbed it when we found it. Then Fiat announced the 2013 Gucci. Hard to push your limited edition when they're putting out new versions of your limited-edition. Are there no other Italian designers? Take a clue from AMC/Rambler. :(

Andree
01-24-2014, 12:15 PM
That's the other thing that's screwing us. We bought the 2012 Gucci as a one-time limited edition. Had a heck of time finding one with nav and grabbed it when we found it. Then Fiat announced the 2013 Gucci. Hard to push your limited edition when they're putting out new versions of your limited-edition. Are there no other Italian designers? Take a clue from AMC/Rambler. :(

Yeah, it's confusing for a buyer when they are told it's a one-time deal and then it's back the following year. Could be it WAS going to be a one-time deal until there was high demand, and Fiat went with the demand.

The prices change rapidly, and for trading in, it's not a good time right now. The end of year sales. The end of leases. For instance, people may be leasing the 2014 model right now, and in a year it's January again, if they have a year lease, it's up when the 2014 clearance sales will be going on. Used sales from the rental agencies too, they have cars for a year or two max.

Summer might be a good time to get a better value, but you may have fallen back in love with your Gucci model by then.

tknospdr
01-24-2014, 01:26 PM
I feel ya! I wanted to trade in my Turbo for an Abarth since my dealer is discounting everything by $5000 off the top. But I've got about $4000 negative equity on it due to having bought it brand new less than a year ago.
I could do it but I don't think I could afford the new payments unless I had a few grand to put down up front.

I'd like to get this one (http://www.fieldsfiatorlando.com/new/FIAT/2013-FIAT-500-e98159ad0a0a00640022023ad4fa218b.htm) but with trade value I'd end up paying about $25,550 plus tax, tags, title, etc. I don't think my credit score would be able to get me to my current payment.

Sealy
01-24-2014, 04:34 PM
I don't think my credit score would be able to get me to my current payment.

That's our problem, in reverse. Our credit let's us do most anything. After the trade in news fiasco, my other half pulled up Google and got out his adder. We set a max payment at $500 on the new car and he got the numbers to work. Of course it meant financing a $28K car for $35K over a 72 month period with a low rate from my credit union. And paying tax, registration, and processing out of pocket. Somehow, I just did not feel like that was a good idea. :distrust:

Fiatwins
01-24-2014, 08:59 PM
I thought the amount the dealer offered you was a little off until I went to see one today. It was a 2012 Gucci with 1045 miles on it, my parents bought it for 16500. Dealer says rebates are driving used values down or just making it harder to sell nice used ones when the rebates bring the new one within striking of a clean used one.

Fiat500USA
01-25-2014, 02:38 AM
Yeah, it's confusing for a buyer when they are told it's a one-time deal and then it's back the following year. Could be it WAS going to be a one-time deal until there was high demand, and Fiat went with the demand...

I've gone through the archives and I don't see anywhere that Fiat said it would only be available for one year. Maybe a salesperson said it, but that was not official.

Here are the archives, including official videos, press releases and lots of pictures (Fiat 500 by Gucci Archives (http://www.fiat500usa.com/search/label/Fiat%20500%20by%20Gucci)). A bit of trivia is fiat500usa.com was the first site to tell people that the 2012 Fashion Week held in NY would be significant for Fiat fans. I knew that was going to be the day the 500 by Gucci debuted. I wanted folks to know, but also wanted to keep the details somewhat under wraps. You'll see how I handled it in a little post that astute readers picked up on.

The Gucci models are great cars, and I hope it all works out for you Sealy. Thanks for being part of the community.

Best regards,
Chris

Sealy
01-25-2014, 09:30 AM
I've gone through the archives and I don't see anywhere that Fiat said it would only be available for one year. Maybe a salesperson said it, but that was not official.

Well played. So, it was foolish of me to assume that all the references to special edition and limited availability would mean that it was, well, limited and special. Lesson learned. If it's your job to make Fiat owners feel better, you're doing a great job.

Andree
01-25-2014, 06:11 PM
Well played. So, it was foolish of me to assume that all the references to special edition and limited availability would mean that it was, well, limited and special. Lesson learned. If it's your job to make Fiat owners feel better, you're doing a great job.

It's still "special" and "limited" in my opinion. Not to focus on semantics, but let's look at dictionary definitions:

spe·cial
ˈspeSHəl/Submit
adjective
better, greater, or otherwise different from what is usual.
"they always made a special effort at Christmas"
synonyms: exceptional, unusual, singular, uncommon, notable, noteworthy, remarkable, outstanding, unique

lim·it·ed
ˈlimitid/Submit
adjective
restricted in size, amount, or extent; few, small, or short.
"a limited number of places are available"
synonyms: restricted, finite, little, tight, slight, in short supply, short

The Gucci Lounge fits those definitions. It IS unique, uncommon, remarkable. It is different than the regular 500 Lounge models, especially the white model with the brushed chrome finish on all the trim. The interior is exceptional, no other Lounge owners have those seats, the steering wheel, the seat belts, unless they bought them later and had them installed.

Limited? Absolutely. In the overall run of vehicles for any particular year, there were some Gucci Lounge models made. They made x number of Gucci models, and did not make any more than that number.

Neither Special nor Limited means increased long term value. The value depends on the market. And on consumer demand.

Fiat500USA
01-26-2014, 01:28 PM
The Gucci models are great cars, and I hope it all works out for you Sealy. Thanks for being part of the community.

Best regards,
Chris

A little surprised by that response. I'm just pointing out that they did not say it would be only available for only one year. It is a limited edition, as Andree pointed out so well.

Sealy
01-27-2014, 08:05 AM
A little surprised by that response.

Sorry. Just wasn't in the mood for even a nice post that said "Your wrong and here's a bunch of stuff to prove it." I'm also well aware of the meanings of "limited" and "special". Like Led Zeppelin says, sometimes words have two meanings. As noted, I'm not at all unhappy with my Fiat and I'll probably be holding on to it for a while. Still a little sensitive to the trade in value, however.

Fiat500USA
01-27-2014, 09:14 AM
No problem. I think of these as friendly conversations and the motivation when I post isn't to say I'm right, and someone is wrong, it's to provide information. It is important for me that when someone visits this forum they come away with accurate information and if I know something about a subject I'll share what I know. Hopefully it is informative and maybe entertaining for the OP and also for the many other visitors that wind up reading these posts.

dart1.4t
02-04-2014, 08:43 PM
when words like special and limited are used in advertising you really have to take it with a grain of salt. i mean i've had buicks with the words limited or special edition on them infact i've probably seen more buicks that say "limited" than buicks that don't. it's often just a trim level that carries over many years and those words are used very often in car models for that particular meaning, come to think of it my dart is a "Limited, special edition." limited being the trim level and special edition being an option package including heated leather, power sunroof, "racetrack" rear lighting, navigation, dual zone climate and a universal garage door opener. as far as other products, the word special is often a "special" price. if you were buying a guitar the "special" would be the basic model. the les paul special was/is a thiner light weight starter guitar without any ornate features familiar to the les paul and other gibson models.

Fiat500USA
02-04-2014, 10:51 PM
The truth is the cars were truly a limited edition and are special. They have features that are exclusive only to the Gucci. The production was sold out, too, so they have all the requisites to fit the definition. As far as resale value, realistically speaking it should be worth more than a Lounge model. How much more is open to negotiation, but even Ferraris lose value.

jimmybuckets
04-20-2014, 09:34 AM
Clean money at auction these are bringing between 11k and 14k. Sorry but 13k is fair based on demand for these. I would hold on to it until summer when rag tops are worth more if you haven't already traded it.

ManOfStealth
01-17-2015, 06:02 PM
Unfortunately, the resale value on the Fiat is fairly low because of all the monster rebates going on. I think moving forward for 2014 (my personal opinion not fact) is they won't make as many so they can avoid just giving them away or just sitting on lots. I might be wrong. If you were selling it to a Fiat studio, you would probably get closer to $16k. Keep us updated. Who knows in a few months we might be interested in it so we can have both colors of the Gucci (Jennifer loves the Gucci model and would love to have both convertibles LOL - she has the black one now).

2015 does not look any better. Rebates out the wazoo. I'm looking into a 500L right now and they have tons left on the dealer lots. BTW,Who you taking for the super bowl? LOL:rofl: