PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pads for track and Auto X?

GQRob
01-20-2014, 09:30 PM
I am not finding options for track pads. What brake pads are being used at HPDE and Auto X?

Robert Nixon
01-20-2014, 10:11 PM
I've only done autocross for one year, and the stock pads are doing OK. From what I have read, good track pads work well at high temps, and autocross just isn't in the same heat category as far as lots of repeated braking over long sessions like on a track, so spending big bucks on high cost track pads may not really be needed on an autocross.

Other than that, I've seen a few for sale from Madness.

redred
01-20-2014, 10:28 PM
Very, very happy with the brake pads I got from Road Race Motorsports. The dust less, have WAY less brake fade than stock and have lasted a considerable amount of time considering how much I abuse them. They have been on the track several times as well as many, many aggressive canyon runs.

Tweak
01-20-2014, 10:28 PM
Eurocompulsion, Road Race Motorsports, and 500 Madness all have offerings worth checking out.

musicsurf
01-20-2014, 10:43 PM
I've been happy with my EBC Reds. They took an all day 400 mile quick mountain drive like a champ.

jguerdat
01-21-2014, 08:32 AM
I've only done autocross for one year, and the stock pads are doing OK. From what I have read, good track pads work well at high temps, and autocross just isn't in the same heat category as far as lots of repeated braking over long sessions like on a track, so spending big bucks on high cost track pads may not really be needed on an autocross.

^This. I've used OEM pads for years on my cars for autocross with excellent success. I did try some autocross compound pads on my S2000 and damn near destroyed my wheels and definitely destroyed my rotors. It was just a bad choice that others encountered, too - the vendor kept the name but changed compounds which were seriously abrasive around town. They likely would have been fine for autocross and light track only.

In any event, the OEM Abarth pads have good initial bite and I see no reason to change them for autocross. For track use, you'll want a different pad that you change at the track, perhaps with dedicated rotors. A street or autocross compound ain't gonna be useful for anything other than novice use.

stealthy1ss
01-21-2014, 07:03 PM
I track my car harder then most and smoked my stock pads in 8K miles. Currently I am running Ferodo DS2500 pads which work well for both tracking and daily driving but dust a little more then the stock pads. These pads when you get some heat in them bite really hard and stop a small car like ours with ease but when you are just driving around normally they are very well behaved.

GQRob
01-21-2014, 07:58 PM
Thanks. Ferodo is a high performance brake pad producer that I I am familiar with but didn't research.

I track my car harder then most and smoked my stock pads in 8K miles. Currently I am running Ferodo DS2500 pads which work well for both tracking and daily driving but dust a little more then the stock pads. These pads when you get some heat in them bite really hard and stop a small car like ours with ease but when you are just driving around normally they are very well behaved.

S2500T
01-23-2014, 08:34 PM
Very, very happy with the brake pads I got from Road Race Motorsports. The dust less, have WAY less brake fade than stock and have lasted a considerable amount of time considering how much I abuse them. They have been on the track several times as well as many, many aggressive canyon runs.
I will be going with Road Race pads for all of these reasons. Plus the increase in bite.