PDA

View Full Version : blow by at 8000 miles!!!!!

luka
01-18-2014, 03:16 AM
Anyone have had this problem? Recently started hearing a little popping out the exhaust, and now tonight I hear a small knock. Take off the oil cap knock goes away but I noticed engine has blow by. Guess I have to make a trip to the dealer on monday.

lillo24
01-18-2014, 03:54 AM
can you please clarify what you mean by your observation...

luka
01-18-2014, 04:14 AM
Was showing a buddy of mine my abarths heart when I noticed a weird sound. At first I thought it was the plastic engine cover so I pulled it off. That wasn't the source of the noise. So I decide to pull the oil cap off, needless to say the noise went away. If I put the cap back on I get the same noise. I also noticed that oil was coming out of where the oil cap goes.

luka
01-18-2014, 04:16 AM
Forgot to mention that the car runs fine and that the noise is only at idle.

sptcoupe
01-18-2014, 07:05 AM
If you have the oil spout cap off while the engine is running you will definitely get some oil splashing around. In fact, if you didn't see oil splashing around under those circumstances I would be concerned that you were way low on oil. "Blow by" refers to oil that leaks by the piston rings/oil control rings and gets into the cylinder and is burned there and exits the tail pipe as white or bluish white smoke. This is caused by worn piston/oil rings or scored cylinder walls.

sptcoupe
01-18-2014, 09:23 AM
Forgot to mention that blow by also lets gas get past the rings in the cylinder, and into your oil sump, too. As more gas gets into the oil, the viscosity and lubricating properties of the oil go away, and you get premature wear on your main and rod bearings. So for those of us who run an ECU that pumps up the boost and increases cylinder pressure well over the stock parameters, frequent oil changes are the order of the day.

When you say you have blow by, do you mean the oil leaking around the oil cap, or are you seeing smoke from the exhaust?

jguerdat
01-18-2014, 09:31 AM
You'll know blow-by by checking compression and leak-down tests. My '70 Fiat 850 Spider had blow-by so bad it was forcing oil out from under the valve cover. A blown head gasket later, the cylinder walls needed a .2mm overbore...

musicsurf
01-18-2014, 11:08 AM
Anyone have had this problem? Recently started hearing a little popping out the exhaust, and now tonight I hear a small knock. Take off the oil cap knock goes away but I noticed engine has blow by. Guess I have to make a trip to the dealer on monday.

What mods are you running if any, and just to rule it out, have you messed with any hoses around the valve cover lately?

luka
01-18-2014, 08:40 PM
Only mids I have are eurocompulsion v2 and boomba check valve. The noise is hard to explain with out hearing it. But as I stated pulling off the oil fill cap makes the sound go away. I will be taking it to the studio on monday, I hope its nothing bad.