PDA

View Full Version : sticking brakes at startup

paook
01-15-2014, 01:12 AM
Over the last 2-3 weeks, I've noticed a squeaking/grinding noise when I start driving my Abarth after it sits for a few hours. The speed of the intermittent squeak/grind matches the tire rotation and sounds like a sticking brake (or brakes). After a few meters (up to 75 meters at the worst) of slow (1st/2nd gear) driving, the sound disappears and doesn't come back for the rest of the trip. The car didn't do this last winter.

I've tried setting/releasing the parking brake a few times before starting a drive and multiple applications of the brake pedal before starting to move at all. Both have not improved the situation.

Anybody else experienced this? Is it normal for a caliper to settle/stick after being parked for a number of hours? Do our Abarth brakes have tighter clearance with the calipers than less-sporty cars? Should I be having the dealer look at this?

jguerdat
01-15-2014, 09:01 AM
Not really normal but possible. I'd suspect something wedged between the pad and rotor, such as sand/grit/salt (depending on how they treat winter roads in your area) but could also be a small stone. There are products that are supposed to help flush embedded crap in the pads - might be worth trying some. Removing the pads for inspection and cleaning should do the trick but is a brute force approach. A few HARD stops from highway speeds might help, too.

FTY
01-15-2014, 09:16 AM
This happened to me last winter for a few weeks, tried a few hard stops and finally cleared up the issue. It hasn't come back so far this winter.

shadyabarth
01-15-2014, 09:27 AM
Same here..Was driving home one day and heard a scraping noise at low speeds after driving through a constuction zone on Wall St ..Went home and pulled the driver side front wheel off and found a pebble wedged between the caliper and rotor..

Razer500
01-16-2014, 01:03 AM
When brand new I had this issue for about the first day. An couple of stops hard enough to kick in the ABS and it finally quit. You might try one or two to see if it helps at all.

ScorpionSkins.com
01-16-2014, 01:48 AM
It seems to be a fairly common occurrence. The conclusion discussed on another fiat forum is that's completely normal, especially in wet or humid conditions. It apparently happens across a variety of vehicle makes/models and the dust buildup that causes it can sometimes be undetectable at a close glance. The issue seems to subside within a good brake or two, and I've encountered it almost daily with the winter season.

It's odd that you didn't encounter it last winter as well, but I wouldn't be too concerned.

Oh, Word?
01-16-2014, 07:27 PM
Every time it rains my brakes will be stuck and then going down my steep driveway it feels like they hardly work. Once it stops it's never an issue, and I also never have issues while in the rain or snow it's only when it's sat over night, which is fairly common with any car with good brakes.

Dwaynek
01-16-2014, 09:08 PM
Happens with mine when it is wet. Seems normal and you have the same weather

Thomas
01-17-2014, 10:51 AM
Same with me whenever it is wet. I spoke to a Fiat mechanic the last time I was in, and he told me that 'the calipers stick', and this is normal for this car. I have to say that it sounds/feels somewhat troubling. When I back up in the morning, it feels like the car is being held back (sticking brakes). Only after applying quite a bit of throttle, there is a kind of clunking noise, then I start rolling. I read somewhere on a UK Abarth forum that this is common, but there could be some kind of brake damage caused due to this condition. Not sure if this applies in my case.

jguerdat
01-18-2014, 09:32 AM
It's not the calipers sticking, it's the pads. Every car I've had would do this in the right conditions. If the calipers were sticking, it would likely show up in vastly reduced pad life, brake dust, overheated pads, etc.

GetsThruBuckner
04-01-2014, 02:29 PM
Same with me whenever it is wet. I spoke to a Fiat mechanic the last time I was in, and he told me that 'the calipers stick', and this is normal for this car. I have to say that it sounds/feels somewhat troubling. When I back up in the morning, it feels like the car is being held back (sticking brakes). Only after applying quite a bit of throttle, there is a kind of clunking noise, then I start rolling. I read somewhere on a UK Abarth forum that this is common, but there could be some kind of brake damage caused due to this condition. Not sure if this applies in my case.

I encounter the same issue after the car has been in the rain for an extended period. When I release the handbrake, I get held back until I hear a loud thunk. No issue after the clunk, but it definitely doesn't sound nice when it happens. I wonder if there is a fix to this.

jguerdat
04-02-2014, 07:48 AM
No fix because there's nothing to fix. Every car I've ever had has done this when exposed to high humidity for an extended period of time with the parking brake pulled. It'd be like trying to keep the rotors from rusting... ;)

ophidia31
04-02-2014, 11:01 AM
Put some grease on the pad surface. That way they wont stick and itll extend the pad life as well.

jestera

Tweak
04-02-2014, 05:56 PM
Put some grease on the pad surface. That way they wont stick and itll extend the pad life as well.

jestera

Reminds me of a friend's then wife asking him if he could oil the windshield wipers or something to keep them from squeaking so much. :hopelessness:

PerformanceDoneRight
04-02-2014, 06:14 PM
The pads are semi-metallic. The metal in the pad material rusts and gets stuck to the steel rotor and is cleaned off after a few revolutions. There is nothing you can do to stop it and it is entirely normal.

ophidia31
04-02-2014, 07:46 PM
The pads are semi-metallic. The metal in the pad material rusts and gets stuck to the steel rotor and is cleaned off after a few revolutions. There is nothing you can do to stop it and it is entirely normal.

Hmm, thought i said this as well when the thread originally got posted but guess not. But yes, this is the real reason. Suppose ceramic pads could fix it, but not really a fan of them. Ill take some dust/noise with better braking over quiet/no dust.