PDA

View Full Version : Battery blanket

aevansgatech
01-14-2014, 11:23 AM
Can someone tell me what exactly the purpose of this material is surrounding the battery.. I'm sure it's just a heat barrier, but I've seen many users take it off.

Are there any adverse effects to removing this eyesore!?

lammie200
01-14-2014, 12:50 PM
Can someone tell me what exactly the purpose of this material is surrounding the battery.. I'm sure it's just a heat barrier, but I've seen many users take it off.

I believe that it insulates the battery from the cold. A colder battery has less cranking power.

rustbucket
01-14-2014, 03:20 PM

Possibly shorter battery life, depending on where you live and drive. The battery is in very close proximity to the engine which means an abundance of heat.

"Heat is a killer of all batteries and high temperatures cannot always be avoided. This is the case with a battery inside a laptop, a starter battery under the hood of a car and stationary batteries in a tin shelter under the hot sun. As a guideline, each 8C (15F) rise in temperature cuts the life of a sealed lead acid battery in half."
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_heat_and_harsh_loading_reduces_battery_life

Ford used a similar material on one of the two batteries in the 7.3L Powerstrokes in the Superduty pickups - the other battery was near the airbox iirc, which helped to keep it cooler. You could cook a seven course meal on a Powerstroke after a long, hard run. If you run often in extreme heat conditions, the lack of battery insulation could possibly shorten your battery's life, especially if you have a turbo under the hood.

aevansgatech
01-14-2014, 03:38 PM
Possibly shorter battery life, depending on where you live and drive. The battery is in very close proximity to the engine which means an abundance of heat.

If you run often in extreme heat conditions, the lack of battery insulation could possibly shorten your battery's life, especially if you have a turbo under the hood.

Thanks for the info lammie and rustbucket. I live in the Florida heat so since my only reason to remove it is purely aesthetic, I think I can live with it in there.

gincar96
01-14-2014, 03:44 PM
These insulating blankets are normally to help protect the battery from engine heat.

FTY
01-14-2014, 04:12 PM
I have mine wrapped in gold tape. Looks better and is cool to the touch, since the insulator material was falling apart.

aevansgatech
01-14-2014, 04:58 PM
I have mine wrapped in gold tape. Looks better and is cool to the touch, since the insulator material was falling apart.

Yeah that's the other factor.. it doesn't seem very durable

What brand/type of tape did you use and do they have other colors?

markinmad
01-14-2014, 05:37 PM
The battery is in very close proximity to the engine which means an abundance of heat.

I was just going to say this. VW has been putting insulation or some sort of box around their batteries for at least 10 years.

nicemod
01-14-2014, 06:04 PM
I believe that it insulates the battery from the cold. A colder battery has less cranking power.

I haven't seen one in ages, but I recall my dad having an electric battery blanket (to accompany the block heater) on our MkI Rabbit when I was a kid. e.g.: Temro 50W Battery Warmer (http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/automotive/batteries-boosters-chargers/chargers/temro-50w-battery-warmer-0113118p.html#.UtWz5XkYg5s).

shadyabarth
01-14-2014, 06:17 PM
A nice mod would be some sort of battery enclosure that would bolt onto the tray with a cutout in the rear for the cables..Now that would clean up the engine compartment nicely!