PDA

View Full Version : Disimpressed with Fiat 800 call center

TheWart
01-13-2014, 12:15 PM
I called to find out a little about a specific Abarth programing question. I was informed my conversation would be tracked by my VIN #.

Fiat, I object to your data gathering. You got my $20k this time. Not the next.

Fiat500USA
01-13-2014, 12:39 PM
Not seeing how much of a problem that is. Sounds like a way to keep track to better serve you. If you are having an issue and have to call back again, the next person you talk to can pick up where the other left off. Pretty common procedure to put notes in an account. The manufacturer is also required to have your name so they can get in touch with you for recalls and such, so they already have your info. They also have all your service records, too.

TheWart
01-13-2014, 01:22 PM
Not seeing how much of a problem that is. Sounds like a way to keep track to better serve you. If you are having an issue and have to call back again, the next person you talk to can pick up where the other left off. Pretty common procedure to put notes in an account. The manufacturer is also required to have your name so they can get in touch with you for recalls and such, so they already have your info. They also have all your service records, too.

you are correct. You/they know I purchased the car.
"If" they pay a warranty claim, I expect them to keep a record. It's an expense against their income for taxes.

I object to the massive data gathering on random questions. This information could be used to deny warranty claims. Insurance companies are KNOWN to document, and even start a claim. Just from a policy holder asking a simple question.

If this is the "new" level of customer service, I regret buying this car.

trevc
01-13-2014, 03:07 PM
I am not even sure disimpressed is a word. Try unimpressed maybe?

mellena
01-13-2014, 04:28 PM
You are unimpressed not disimpressed. I actually like they track it with your VIN. It allows them to better understand an issue with your car. So if you have been calling 4x for the same issue I bet its in their system so when you go to the dealer to get it fixed they would better understand your troubleshooting. They are not the NSA or a credit company. They are not looking to spam you or steal your identity. They are just trying to give you the best service they can for the price point of the car.

TheWart
01-13-2014, 04:51 PM
tracking for a warranty issue is different. From tracking every conversation.

If I call and ask about the thump I have in reverse that won't go away. That needs follow up.
If I call and ask if there is an available programming to change the gear shift activation RPM in sport mode. That IMHO, does not need to be tracked.

SailDesign
01-13-2014, 05:17 PM
I think they are VERY sensitive to the word "programming" these days, specifically wrt warranty. I'd ask for it.
The word you should have used (in my VERY humble opinion) was "Option" - they love that word....

lammie200
01-13-2014, 06:21 PM
...If this is the "new" level of customer service, I regret buying this car.
You regret buying the car because someone on an (800) helpline asked for your VIN? I take it that you never been to a Radio Shack sometime in the last century? They ask you what color socks you are wearing before they let you purchase very tiny batteries. Total invasion of privacy IMHO. And if you aren't wearing socks, forget the batteries - you ain't getting them.

I am not even sure disimpressed is a word. Try unimpressed maybe?
Cross between disrespected and not impressed, i.e. "I dis you because you don't impress me."

You are unimpressed not disimpressed. I actually like they track it with your VIN. It allows them to better understand an issue with your car. So if you have been calling 4x for the same issue I bet its in their system so when you go to the dealer to get it fixed they would better understand your troubleshooting. They are not the NSA or a credit company. They are not looking to spam you or steal your identity. They are just trying to give you the best service they can for the price point of the car.
Yep.

I think they are VERY sensitive to the word "programming" these days, specifically wrt warranty. I'd ask for it.
The word you should have used (in my VERY humble opinion) was "Option" - they love that word....
Totally agree. Now if you said something like, "I would like to program my car so that it will take out the trash", even though it might be useful if your car would do that for you, I would bet that they wouldn't have asked you for your VIN. Of course that wouldn't have addressed your issue, but you also wouldn't be subject to an invasion of your privacy either. No loss for the weary.

Lou Caputo
01-13-2014, 07:03 PM
I'm considering a piggyback ecu myself, and wondered if asking any questions about the dealer possibly doing the installation would generate a file. So, I don't know that would be enough for me to never buy a Fiat again, but I can see the OP's point regarding the 1984 aspect of the request. If he ever has a problem down the road, they can say, "Well Sir, it seems you made an inquiry regarding reprogramming your ECU in January of 2014, and we believe that might have contributed..." You get the idea. Extreme? Probably. Inconcievable? No.

lammie200
01-13-2014, 07:16 PM
...If he ever has a problem down the road, they can say, "Well Sir, it seems you made an inquiry regarding reprogramming your ECU in January of 2014, and we believe that might have contributed..."

I think that in most states of the USA, a problem that would support a warranty claim denial would require proof that an after-market part caused the problem. BTW, I am pretty sure that the only way someone can reprogram the ECU is to open its case. Surely that will void the warranty. Piggy backs can be removed (or plugged) without anyone even knowing that they are (or were) there.

TheWart
01-14-2014, 07:29 AM
I'm considering a piggyback ecu myself, and wondered if asking any questions about the dealer possibly doing the installation would generate a file. So, I don't know that would be enough for me to never buy a Fiat again, but I can see the OP's point regarding the 1984 aspect of the request. If he ever has a problem down the road, they can say, "Well Sir, it seems you made an inquiry regarding reprogramming your ECU in January of 2014, and we believe that might have contributed..." You get the idea. Extreme? Probably. Inconcievable? No.

http://www.fe25.clarkhoward.com/news/clark-howard/insurance/one-thing-you-shouldnt-do-after-auto-accident/nbFFn/

http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/clark-howard/homes-real-estate/never-say-these-words-to-your-insurer/nFTN/

If insurance companies practice these policies. I find it difficult to NOT assume other companies do the same.

Lammie,
I have not patronized a Radio Shack in the last 20 years

trevc
01-14-2014, 09:39 AM
http://zapatopi.net/afdb/

lammie200
01-14-2014, 12:49 PM
Lammie,
I have not patronized a Radio Shack in the last 20 years

That's OK. What I wrote wasn't applicable anyway.