PDA

View Full Version : Excessive oil in intake/turbo

Mic413
01-06-2014, 11:56 AM
Seems like I post more problems on here than anything else. I'm still working on my low boost issue, and had my intake off lastnight. There was quite a bit of oil pooled in my turbo, and I pulled my pcv line off at the intake manifold. oil in the hose as well. Anyone else notice this? My car only has 7k on it and I feel like the amount is quite excessive. I ran a catch can on my SRT for the same issue, but that had 80K and I was to believe the Abarth has a factory separator? Any insight here?

BigT
01-06-2014, 12:15 PM
Well on your SRT you should have been running one long before 80k lol those cars had horrible pcv blow by issues. But anyway I was always under the assumption that most cars with turbo had slight oil blow by. But if you're saying it's excessive I would say maybe take it to your studio and let them take a look could be turbo seals going bad I think I remember one other member mentioning something about their turbo having oil pooled up like you're mentioning.

Fiat500USA
01-06-2014, 12:16 PM
Hard to say without being there. What is excessive for some, may be OK for others. In my experience, the cars seem to "free up" at 10,000 miles, so maybe there is still some sealing going on. I think oil in the intake tract are a lot of times subject to how cars are driven. Decelerating in a high vacuum state and other things like high rpm usage and heavy throttle, etc., can come into play. How much oil was in there and how much oil do you add?

trevc
01-06-2014, 12:17 PM
I suspect the factory oil separator does not do a great job. I installed an FMIC on my Abarth yesterday and found small amounts of oil all through the system.
I am hoping AAD will have a mounting bracket for our cars for their catch can soon.

lammie200
01-06-2014, 12:37 PM
If you type in "ADD catch can" into ebay you can see about 2 dozen or so catch cans. There are some that come with mounting brackets.

To be honest I don't know why more people don't install these. Super simple to do and IT CATCHES OIL! I don't know if it will catch all the by-pass but on my NA 500 it catches at least half of what my car would normally consume.

trevc
01-06-2014, 12:44 PM
I am talking about AAD - All Angles Design, not ADD but thanks.

If you type in "ADD catch can" into ebay you can see about 2 dozen or so catch cans. There are some that come with mounting brackets.

To be honest I don't know why more people don't install these. Super simple to do and IT CATCHES OIL! I don't know if it will catch all the by-pass but on my NA 500 it catches at least half of what my car would normally consume.

Mic413
01-06-2014, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the fast replys guys. Maybe im just being paranoid because im having other issues as of late. It just seems like alot for a car with such little mileage. As far as adding oil, I'm not really down, but I just changed it about 500 miles ago. Maybe ill look into a catch can, just figured I wouldn't need one with the stock separator. I figured id ask seeing as I know people replacing intake is a popular thing, maybe someone saw the same thing as me.

stealthy1ss
01-06-2014, 01:08 PM
Take a picture of it for us.

MADNESSLuckyJay
01-06-2014, 02:06 PM
I was a little surprised when I first saw this on a customers car too. The dirty air coming out of the PCV brings a noticeable amount of oil with it. Catch can would help out a lot. Not sure where people have been mounting them yet, maybe somebody that has one can post some pics in the thread. There is a great article online http://www.shophemi.com/images/media/p-2273-arrington_ccv_bible.pdf towards the end it talks about removing the whole PCV system and running two catch cans. If the PCV does close like they say, then that is a little scary too!

FTY
01-06-2014, 02:30 PM
I haven't had any issues yet and haven't noticed excessive oil in the intake tract or filter in any of the multitude of cars we have worked on, with varying mileages of 300 miles to close to 40k. How do you drive the car?

lammie200
01-06-2014, 02:31 PM
Here's mine. Mounting point is an existing hole in the front body sheet metal. I have since changed the hoses to fuel injector hoses and the brass elbows to one piece units. The food grade hoses that most kits come with don't seal well and the two-piece brass elbows are bulky.

There are ways to do two cans and eliminate the PCV and PCV plenum. I think that would be overkill for me, but turbos work differently. Might be worth the trouble and expense on a turbo.

MADNESSLuckyJay
01-06-2014, 04:56 PM
Here's mine. Mounting point is an existing hole in the front body sheet metal. I have since changed the hoses to fuel injector hoses and the brass elbows to one piece units. The food grade hoses that most kits come with don't seal well and the two-piece brass elbows are bulky.

There are ways to do two cans and eliminate the PCV and PCV plenum. I think that would be overkill for me, but turbos work differently. Might be worth the trouble and expense on a turbo.

and that intake looks great!

lammie200
01-06-2014, 06:13 PM
and that intake looks great!

Works great, too. Even better when I changed out the snorkel to a double hump coupler. You should hear the sounds I get. Little whistle and back fire at top rpms when I shift. Definitely not typical IMHO.

musicsurf
01-06-2014, 07:11 PM
I was a little surprised when I first saw this on a customers car too. The dirty air coming out of the PCV brings a noticeable amount of oil with it. Catch can would help out a lot. Not sure where people have been mounting them yet, maybe somebody that has one can post some pics in the thread. There is a great article online http://www.shophemi.com/images/media/p-2273-arrington_ccv_bible.pdf towards the end it talks about removing the whole PCV system and running two catch cans. If the PCV does close like they say, then that is a little scary too!

Mikah wrote the CCV bible. The PCV closes whenever the intake manifold sees positive pressure since it also acts as a check valve to keep that pressure from flowing into the crank case. Any time the car is not in vacuum blow-by can make it's way back up the make-up air hose and into the intake tract. I have found a puddle every time I have serviced my blow off valve. Also a good thing to note is that blow-by increases with increased torque.

MADNESSLuckyJay
01-06-2014, 07:18 PM
Mikah wrote the CCV bible. The PCV closes whenever the intake manifold sees positive pressure since it also acts as a check valve to keep that pressure from flowing into the crank case. Any time the car is not in vacuum blow-by can make it's way back up the make-up air hose and into the intake tract. I have found a puddle every time I have serviced my blow off valve. Also a good thing to note is that blow-by increases with increased torque.

He did a great job with the bible! Felt a lot more familiar with the system after reading it. With how the PCV works, is it then possible under heavy boost to blow a seal or gasket? Or maybe thats just under heavy boost for long period of time?

musicsurf
01-06-2014, 10:27 PM
He did a great job with the bible! Felt a lot more familiar with the system after reading it. With how the PCV works, is it then possible under heavy boost to blow a seal or gasket? Or maybe thats just under heavy boost for long period of time?

The PCV closes to keep the boosted air out that would more than likely wreak havok on the engine if introduced into the crank case. The way I understand it is that under boost, the make-up airline supplies enough vacuum to allow the positive pressure in the crankcase to be relieved. Personally, I have found very little evidence of blow-by in the PCV hose. The majority has been in the intake, turbo, and intercooler piping being fed from the makeup air hose. Of course I do drive my car semi aggressively and it sees boost a lot:).

redred
01-06-2014, 10:50 PM
Back to the subject at hand, if you are seeing that much oil in your Intake and Turbo inlet, you could have a blown turbo. That was the symptom of Scorpion King's Abarth and the conclusion was that the turbo was done and needed to be replaced. Your Fiat Studio should be able to diagnose it quickly and determine if the turbo needs replacing or not.

A defective turbo could be why you are having so many various issues with your car.

musicsurf
01-06-2014, 11:23 PM
Back to the subject at hand, if you are seeing that much oil in your Intake and Turbo inlet, you could have a blown turbo. That was the symptom of Scorpion King's Abarth and the conclusion was that the turbo was done and needed to be replaced. Your Fiat Studio should be able to diagnose it quickly and determine if the turbo needs replacing or not.

A defective turbo could be why you are having so many various issues with your car.

+1

Mic413
01-25-2014, 06:01 PM
Just an update. As far as going to my studio, its about two hours away, so it can be a pain to get out there. I did finally get there, it was said there was an issue with my separator. A week so far and no oil seen in there again. I just bought Mr. Robs ATM FMIC so I think im going to put a catch can in for good measure. Thanks for all the replays!