PDA

View Full Version : slipping feet on pedals

jguerdat
01-05-2014, 08:44 AM
My wife is complaining that her shoes are slipping on the pedals when they are snowy or wet. I looked at the soles to see how they differ from mine and see that at least one pair could be explained by the horizontal strips on the pedals and shoes - nothing to catch onto. She finds she needs to keep the seat fairly far back to stay away from the possibility of an airbag deployment right in her face but that causes her to have to stretch some for being able to push the pedals fully in. I have no such problem.

Since this seems to be concurrent with winter, are there pedal covers that would fit over the Abarth pedals? The stock 500 rubber covers appear to be the wrong shape (too short). Possibly changing pedals to an aftermarket version with nubs rather than strips would help but relatively expensive and may not be easily reversible. Suggestions?

01-05-2014, 08:50 AM
Im interested in this too. Sneakers and snow make for some ugly pedal slips on the Abarth. I looked at some aftermarket steel ones with better rubber inserts but they just dont look as good.

MrFiat
01-05-2014, 10:36 AM
My wife is complaining that her shoes are slipping on the pedals when they are snowy or wet. I looked at the soles to see how they differ from mine and see that at least one pair could be explained by the horizontal strips on the pedals and shoes - nothing to catch onto. She finds she needs to keep the seat fairly far back to stay away from the possibility of an airbag deployment right in her face but that causes her to have to stretch some for being able to push the pedals fully in. I have no such problem.

Since this seems to be concurrent with winter, are there pedal covers that would fit over the Abarth pedals? The stock 500 rubber covers appear to be the wrong shape (too short). Possibly changing pedals to an aftermarket version with nubs rather than strips would help but relatively expensive and may not be easily reversible. Suggestions?

Hey Jeff, I found a few different sets of clutch/brake nonslip covers on Amazon. There are several on the market at a very reasonable cost (around $10/set). Not sure about the pros and cons as I have no first hand experience with such things, but they look like they might work ok, and they are removeable for the summer months. Here are some links I found.

http://dx.com/p/vehicle-car-non-slip-anti-slip-pedal-covers-for-brake-clutch-accelerator-silver-black-3-piece-133981
http://dx.com/p/aluminum-alloy-car-non-slip-pedal-set-black-silver-227290
http://www.amazon.com/Vehicle-Non-slip-Aluminium-Treadle-Universal/dp/B00DJQ1OW0/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

I suspect a careful internet search will turn up more choices. Good Luck with the hunt!
jim

jguerdat
01-05-2014, 12:17 PM
Hmmm... I was looking for a rubber cover but these are definitely possibilies. The first one looks interesting - cheap to try and don't require drilling to put them on. That would make them (theoretically) easy to put on for winter weather and remove for summer. Amazon actually has 9 pages of results similar to these with a "non-slip pedal" search.

Thanks!

lammie200
01-05-2014, 01:20 PM
I don't know if this will help you but I added the Mopar gas pedal cover to mine. It snaps over the awkwardly shaped raw plastic pedal. I did because of the slipping issue that I was having.

Deffmikey
01-05-2014, 02:43 PM
Buy grip tape for a skateboard, cut it to the size of the rubber piece and voila griped pedals

Abarth Phreak
01-05-2014, 04:38 PM
Be careful with what you may add to your pedals, keeping in mind that if they do somehow come loose they could be hazardous and cause loss of control of the pedals by jamming, etc.

For those using the winter mats, it is also a good idea to keep a towel or chamois in the car to step on and dry your shoes when possible before touching the pedals and also soak up the drips from any ice melting. Turning the heat to the floor vents will also speed up the drying process.

Tweak
01-05-2014, 10:53 PM
Buy grip tape for a skateboard, cut it to the size of the rubber piece and voila griped pedals

This or going to Lowes or Home Depot and getting tape made for ladders that is basically the same thing was what I intended to suggest.

Example: http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-4-in-x-5-yds-Step-and-Ladder-Tread-Tape-7636NA/100211722#
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/1000/04/049b72e2-b5a7-44b6-b1b1-4ebe13f29468_1000.jpg

jguerdat
01-06-2014, 08:39 AM
I don't know if this will help you but I added the Mopar gas pedal cover to mine. It snaps over the awkwardly shaped raw plastic pedal. I did because of the slipping issue that I was having.

Her complaint is actually with the clutch pedal. Go figure. The tape solutions seems easy/cheap to implement. I was wondering how secure those attachment clips would be as well as the added depth (I'm 6'4" and leg room doesn't need to be diminished). I'll post results on the tape.

Deffmikey
01-06-2014, 11:45 AM
This or going to Lowes or Home Depot and getting tape made for ladders that is basically the same thing was what I intended to suggest.

Example: http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-4-in-x-5-yds-Step-and-Ladder-Tread-Tape-7636NA/100211722#
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/1000/04/049b72e2-b5a7-44b6-b1b1-4ebe13f29468_1000.jpg

Also a great solution. Idk how much it costs. If you get a grip tape called mob, grizzly, or Jessup I think they range from 2-6 dollars a sheet and a sheet is pretty large.

Scootin159
01-06-2014, 05:55 PM
+1 on that grip tape. I have it on the pedals of the FMod and it's worked brilliantly. Granted that car sees minimal mileage (and virtually no climate changes), but it seems pretty well stuck to the aluminum pedals - no fraying or coming off at the edges in the year it's been on there.

Might want to pop out the rubber "grip bubbles" on the OE pedals before applying it though, so it has a smoother surface to adhere to.

MADNESSLuckyJay
01-06-2014, 07:19 PM
I suggested grip tape to another lady that was having the same problem, she hasn't come back!

jguerdat
01-07-2014, 08:44 AM
Also a great solution. Idk how much it costs. If you get a grip tape called mob, grizzly, or Jessup I think they range from 2-6 dollars a sheet and a sheet is pretty large.

The roll of tape is about $22 at Homedepot.

jguerdat
01-07-2014, 08:45 AM
+1 on that grip tape. I have it on the pedals of the FMod and it's worked brilliantly. Granted that car sees minimal mileage (and virtually no climate changes), but it seems pretty well stuck to the aluminum pedals - no fraying or coming off at the edges in the year it's been on there.

Might want to pop out the rubber "grip bubbles" on the OE pedals before applying it though, so it has a smoother surface to adhere to.

The one issue I might have with the tape is taking it off in warmer months. Any idea if it would be a bear to remove and leave residue behind?

Scootin159
01-07-2014, 09:45 AM
Never took any off, so can't tell you...

Tweak
01-07-2014, 12:25 PM
The one issue I might have with the tape is taking it off in warmer months. Any idea if it would be a bear to remove and leave residue behind?

I think a hair dryer or better a heat gun will allow it, works for skateboards but man is that stuff sticky!

Video of a board that can help.

http://youtu.be/kW-gGMpZHGs

Deffmikey
01-07-2014, 07:36 PM
Never took any off, so can't tell you...

I've used it plenty of times on a lot of surfaces. Yes it's sticky, yes it'll leave residue but it'll come off with a little elbow grease. Plus it's a cheap fix to a small but annoying issue. On skateboards it's doesn't like to come off, but they are wooden and get very abused. I've used it on bike pedals, a small amount on the inside grip on a firearm, on the bottom of tables that slide on carpet that I didn't want to slide. I would go with Jessup. It's my personal favorite. It's grip is nice and it seems to have a long life.

Deffmikey
01-07-2014, 07:39 PM

It doesn't matter how cold it is. It'll still leave a residue. It'll come off, but I'd be lying if I said it was "easy" to get off. Then again it's not really meant to come off. Usually I break skateboards, or get rid of them if they are worn out. I have only re-gripped my longboard and I didn't care about residue because I was putting another sheet of tape on it.

jguerdat
01-19-2014, 10:06 AM
Home Depot carries this http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-6-in-x-2-ft-Reflective-Tread-7768NA/100391699?keyword=3m+reflective+tread# - a single tread for $7. I cut a couple of pieces the height and width of the clutch and brake pedals (trimmed the corners to prevent snagging), cleaned the pedals with water and then alcohol (not the good stuff, though!). With the car being reasonably warm and the tread at indoor room temp, it went on easily and was flexible enough to allow forming over the raised rubber inserts and sticking to both the rubber and metal strips. My wife hasn't driven it much since then so I can't really report effectiveness but tomorrow may be a good test with cold, snow and a dental appointment.

jguerdat
01-20-2014, 12:51 PM
Looks like this is a keeper. No problems at all. Her response to a query as to whether she would have experienced slip was "Oh, definitely." Cheap and apparently effective.