PDA

View Full Version : Bridgestone Blizzak WS 60 Snow Tires live up to there reputation as best snow tires.

Brokernum1
01-05-2014, 12:35 AM
Hello everyone,

Thought I should share that I took my car out during yesterdays blizzard in NY.
I headed out to vernon, NJ for a day of snowboarding at mountain creek.
This was the first time I really got a chance to test my snow tires in harsh weather conditions.

I was not let down. The car plowed right through the snow like it wasn't even there.
These tires are worth every dollar spent. If you make the switch on your OEM 17' wheels make sure you order these tires.

ophidia31
01-05-2014, 11:39 AM
Got them on my stock 17s too. The last snow and this most recent one gave me no problems whatsoever. Had blizzaks on my last car so I knew what to expect but that car weighed 500lbs more as well. The thing Ive seen with this is car though is that you can feel the the car kind of slip sideways (not like back end comming out slip but just a little to notice) in certain situations but it isnt so much that you get nervous or even need to get into any correcting. It just felt natural for the car to do what it did. Overall, just like my last car, these tires made it into a tank for snow driving.

sk8ace
01-05-2014, 02:24 PM
I had lots of fun with those tires on my other (now winter beater) car. I have the conti dws on it now. Not near as fun! Doing my best to keep the Abarth garaged for the winter... all of these pics and vids you all keep posting of all the fun you are having with it in the snow.. really make me want to take it out lol.

ScorpionSkins.com
01-05-2014, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the recommendation. Regrettably Bridgestone was entirely out of stock on these tires all over North America when I tried to buy a set. They told me they'd be producing more in February of this year, but at this point I might as well fight it out until next winter when they're bound to offer another tire package incentive.

The only complaints I've heard of these are that they like to wander and once the tread has been 50% consumed the compound is not nearly as sticky as it is to start. Still, anything is better than Pirelli tires.

Crazy Otto
01-05-2014, 06:38 PM
Wow tire rack has good stock a few weeks ago. All gone. Right price and a rebate to boot glad I jumped in.

There are crappy blizzaks out there but these are the good shoes. Right price and a rebate to boot.

Tall tread blocks of micro sponge like rubber (tube microcell) will not have precision as summer or all season but it's a compromise you live with to reap the benefits. The tube microcell comprises 50% of tread depth, once worn down the perform like all seasons. My suv's set of blizzaks are worn thusly but it still goes like stink in snow.

sjmst
01-05-2014, 07:07 PM
Same here, the Abarth with Blizzaks is like a snowmobile.

01-05-2014, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the recommendation. Regrettably Bridgestone was entirely out of stock on these tires all over North America when I tried to buy a set. They told me they'd be producing more in February of this year, but at this point I might as well fight it out until next winter when they're bound to offer another tire package incentive.

The only complaints I've heard of these are that they like to wander and once the tread has been 50% consumed the compound is not nearly as sticky as it is to start. Still, anything is better than Pirelli tires.

Have to say Pirelli make outstanding winter tires, agreed their PZeros are garbage. I have Pirelli Snow Controls on my Abarth and whilst the Blizzaks on my van are good, the Pirellis grip noticeably better, are quieter, and wear slower! Dont get me wrong, Blizzaks are good but Im on my third car with snow controls and theyre in a different class. I couldnt see myself ever trusting anything else for a smaller vehicle. (Id never buy neros again though)

FTY
01-05-2014, 08:50 PM
Running these for their second season, absolutely fantastic, zero complaints. They allowed me to trudge through some nasty weather conditions, I surprised a few people so far, making in into work with the FIAT when they were getting stuck in their SUVs.

Thomas
01-05-2014, 09:17 PM
Are you assessing the PZeros in terms of winter driving performance? I know many folks on this board find the PZeros terrible, but I would assess them as just adequate for summer driving performance. There are not a lot of OEM tire size brands available to us, and it can be a toss up between tread wear and rubber stickiness. Again, I don't love the PZeros, but they are holding up pretty good for me.

01-05-2014, 11:44 PM
Are you assessing the PZeros in terms of winter driving performance? I know many folks on this board find the PZeros terrible, but I would assess them as just adequate for summer driving performance. There are not a lot of OEM tire size brands available to us, and it can be a toss up between tread wear and rubber stickiness. Again, I don't love the PZeros, but they are holding up pretty good for me.

I honestly cannot think of a single good thing to say about them. I appreciate they wear fast, not an issue and if they performed well Id buy them every year. But - theyre very skippy in the wet, theyre noisy, they tramline the slightest crack in a road and as many have discovered they cup all too readily. No, when spring rolls around Im getting some new tires for the 17s, almost certainly performance all seasons. Right now Im enjoying what Pirelli CAN do - winter boots :)

Sipde
01-06-2014, 11:37 AM
Yep, North of Syracuse NY here..Blizzaks on my L and the'lil guy plows like a tank. We've had a fair amount of snow this year so far and I'm very pleased. :tickled_pink:

Lil' Jon
01-07-2014, 12:41 AM
I got four Pirelli Serie Control 3 for $98 a piece from Tire Rack and they've done absolutely fantastic in the weather that's left a lot of cars stranded the past month around here where there's a lot of steep hills. I had Blizzaks on an E46 M3 for years and love them but Pirelli's winters are a no-brainer for half the price.

That said, I am replacing the OEM tires on my set of 17's ASAP.

Thomas
01-08-2014, 01:18 PM
Speaking of snow tires. On my way to work this morning, I ran through a very large pot hole. I'd say roughly 2 feet wide, and over a foot deep. Not big enough to swallow the Abarth though. No room to avoid at the last moment, as I was in very heavy traffic. There was a loud bang from hitting the pot hole. I dreaded the next few seconds of driving....and sure enough a flat tire. I used the tire sealant kit, but to no avail. The garage showed me the 2 large gouges in the tire. These were Snow Control 2s, and I was told that they only sell Snow Control 3s now. I will sort this out, I just hope that suspension and such is not damaged, as it was an exceedingly hard hit. If it holds up, this is one tough little car.

ScorpionSkins.com
01-08-2014, 11:56 PM
Have to say Pirelli make outstanding winter tires, agreed their PZeros are garbage. I have Pirelli Snow Controls on my Abarth and whilst the Blizzaks on my van are good, the Pirellis grip noticeably better, are quieter, and wear slower! Dont get me wrong, Blizzaks are good but Im on my third car with snow controls and theyre in a different class. I couldnt see myself ever trusting anything else for a smaller vehicle. (Id never buy neros again though)

Thanks for your input fidgell. Regrettably, I feel so absolutely burnt and dissatisfied concerning my Pirelli PZero experience that I choose to no longer support the company in any way. Pirelli has no intent to stand by their product and refused to warranty my defective set. Why would I ever purchase a tire from them again? I will disapprove of the brand and deny them as many sales as I can manage for the terrible way they've treated me as a customer. I would gladly take any other tire brand than compromise my standards of self respect.

I honestly cannot think of a single good thing to say about them. I appreciate they wear fast, not an issue and if they performed well Id buy them every year. But - theyre very skippy in the wet, theyre noisy, they tramline the slightest crack in a road and as many have discovered they cup all too readily.

Amen.

rustbucket
02-13-2014, 08:45 PM
Have to say Pirelli make outstanding winter tires, agreed their PZeros are garbage. I have Pirelli Snow Controls on my Abarth and whilst the Blizzaks on my van are good, the Pirellis grip noticeably better, are quieter, and wear slower![

Do they make Snow Controls for the 16" wheels on my Sport?

02-14-2014, 10:54 AM
Do they make Snow Controls for the 16" wheels on my Sport?

Yes they do, I have 17s for summer on my Abarth, and 16s for winter.

pk9394
02-14-2014, 12:23 PM
I am running on a set of Pirelli Sottozero in size of 205/45 -16. They are very good in deep snow and icy condition. I can go anywhere I want in this winter with all this crazy snow we deal with in this winter. I also think these tread is better looking than the rest, also is mean to be use on sport Coupe :)

AudiGuy
02-14-2014, 12:26 PM
Blizzaks are good tires. When I worked for Mercedes Benz in Colorado we sold Verdstein snow tires. They are the best winter tires Ive ever seen. They use ground up walnut shell in the rubber. Its like having studded snow tires that dont destroy the roads.

wilbmeister
02-14-2014, 09:23 PM
I'm running those same Blizzaks on my car. It goes anywhere easily. We have had a ton of snow and it's been cold. These tires really grab in all conditions.

Now I need to start looking for what I'm going to use for summer tires when it's time for them again.

micduque1
02-15-2014, 12:07 AM
I've been using Nokian Hakkapeliitta r2's all winter. Tire wear and grip are good in all conditions, granted I had to opt for the tire size 195/50 - 16's. Ride is a lil plusher... lol

Thomas
02-15-2014, 08:14 PM
Hakkas are great winter tires. I have had them on my rides for over 20 years. The Finns know winter.

I've been using Nokian Hakkapeliitta r2's all winter. Tire wear and grip are good in all conditions, granted I had to opt for the tire size 195/50 - 16's. Ride is a lil plusher... lol