PDA

View Full Version : Stock wipers scratching?

nicemod
01-04-2014, 04:16 PM
Just checking in to see if anyone else has experienced scratching from the stock wiper blades. At two weeks of ownership and approx 400 miles I'd already noticed two good grooves ~3/4" apart running the full sweep of the driver's side blade, near the tip, and one near the base. Blades are clean, and the car has been washed frequently (to keep our winter road salt well away from it).

Searches of the forum real concerns due to sand pitting and scratches from ice scrapers—but I would expect the stock blades to be soft enough, naturally…

Cheers,
Andy

Abarth619
01-04-2014, 05:19 PM
I've never had a issue with scratching and I have 4000 miles on them. In fact, I think the stock wipers are great, smooth and clear the water nicely. There must have either been dirt on the blades or your blades are possibly, though unlikely defective. My windshield chipping easily however.....

Tweak
01-04-2014, 09:29 PM
I've never had a issue with scratching and I have 4000 miles on them. In fact, I think the stock wipers are great, smooth and clear the water nicely. There must have either been dirt on the blades or your blades are possibly, though unlikely defective. My windshield chipping easily however.....

16,2xx and I can't say I've had any problems with the original wipers causing any damage to the glass. Perhaps without your knowledge there was sand/salt accumulated at one time when the wipers were activated?

500ways
01-04-2014, 10:40 PM
No problem here with 36,000 miles.

Robert Nixon
01-04-2014, 11:49 PM
23,000 miles, no problems. What does the dealer say about this?

nicemod
01-05-2014, 12:00 AM
16,2xx and I can't say I've had any problems with the original wipers causing any damage to the glass. Perhaps without your knowledge there was sand/salt accumulated at one time when the wipers were activated?

23,000 miles, no problems. What does the dealer say about this?

Could be so that I've picked up a bit of road grit—but I've been paying pretty close attention to keeping the car clean since I got it. It's been pretty cold here for the last spell. Save for perhaps one day over the holidays, it's been in the -10C to -20C range (-4F to -14F), so no melt yet—which keeps the salt and sand down until the temperatures rise. It's expected to be -33C/-27F tonight (into the range where the ECU won't turn the car on. I wonder how many Californians and Floridians read and re-read THAT page in the manual! ;) )

I literally picked the car up on Christmas Eve, so with the dealer being shuttered on and off through the holidays, I haven't spoken to them about it yet. I want to soon before a reasonable timeframe from pickup closes.

In the end I have a separate insurance policy on the glass—it's pretty common to have to replace a windshield almost annually around here from stones thrown from a jacked-up F350 or F450 on the freeway. Coming from a slightly-aging MkIV Golf I was thrilled to have such a pristine windshield—for a week or so…

Tweak
01-05-2014, 01:44 AM
Could be so that I've picked up a bit of road grit—but I've been paying pretty close attention to keeping the car clean since I got it. It's been pretty cold here for the last spell. Save for perhaps one day over the holidays, it's been in the -10C to -20C range (-4F to -14F), so no melt yet—which keeps the salt and sand down until the temperatures rise. It's expected to be -33C/-27F tonight (into the range where the ECU won't turn the car on. I wonder how many Californians and Floridians read and re-read THAT page in the manual! ;) )

I literally picked the car up on Christmas Eve, so with the dealer being shuttered on and off through the holidays, I haven't spoken to them about it yet. I want to soon before a reasonable timeframe from pickup closes.

In the end I have a separate insurance policy on the glass—it's pretty common to have to replace a windshield almost annually around here from stones thrown from a jacked-up F350 or F450 on the freeway. Coming from a slightly-aging MkIV Golf I was thrilled to have such a pristine windshield—for a week or so…

I hear of the FIAT having "soft glass", hopefully whatever the cause you can pin point it as to lessen the likeliness of it happening again. Pristine for a whole week...that cracked me up a bit I must admit.

ophidia31
01-05-2014, 11:42 AM
No scratching here either but I have noticed the stock blades do kinda suck. I was going to wait to order bosch icons but i couldnt take thes stocks anymore and ordered them the other day.

nicemod
01-06-2014, 06:53 PM
I've got an appointment set for Thursday morning to address two other small concerns—a minor coolant leak from the reservoir and loose/falling off weather stripping on the Cabrio's trunk. I plan to ask about the blades; we'll see what they say. (I'm expecting "no coverage on glass").

a

ScorpionSkins.com
01-06-2014, 07:30 PM
No issues with mine so far... 14,000 miles. Their cleaning efficiency is slowly degrading, but that's to be expected of cheap rubber with seasonal changes. I'll probably be looking into silicone blades at some point in the Spring.

stratofortress
01-07-2014, 12:14 AM
13k and no issues here...I've even accidentally turned on the wipers on a dry windshield and haven't seen any scratching at all (and I'm picky as hell).

The pitting isn't anywhere as bad as German cars, so I'm a happy camper.