PDA

View Full Version : 2014 New year, new forum goals

Tweak
01-01-2014, 12:46 PM
Okay, FINALLY!

I have been waiting to make a decision until a few things happened and I wanted to share my thoughts with the forum and hopefully we can make a move into the new year with a new attitude and atmosphere here on the forum.

There has been a lot of back and forth with a few members as of late, specifically Matt (mnueman) and John (Torkme). What may not be known is Chris and I have spoken at great length about this but because of his schedule it sometimes takes awhile for our exchanges to move forward. Additionally I spoke again at great length with Matt and John (to a degree) about matters and I was aware that Matt wished to speak with Chris which has now happened as well.

I have come to the conclusion there is no single answer that will leave everyone completely satisfied but the goal is to try to create the best atmosphere possibly for the majority. As of right now Matt and John appear to have come to a truce if you will and await some tangible proof one way or the other and then proceed with their thoughts and opinions at that time. I noticed a little spat in the Dyno thread where Matt made a post and as of late due to the nature of his posts it was taken wrong according to my conversation with him.

Matt has been a long standing member of this and the "red" forum for a long time and until fairly recently he hasn't been a problem member which is a major factor as to why he did get Infractions and Warnings as well as PMs sent about the issue at the time. Some of what he stated while I disagree with the method of presenting it was valid and that has been shown by other members posing the same or nearly the same types of questions, they did manage to do so in a far less problematic way however. All this becomes a factor and now that I know Matt and Chris have spoken and enough has been said on my part to Matt about my thoughts plus the fact we have nearly reached the end of 2013 I decided to make this post and if for some reason Chris does not agree he is as always free to remove, edit, or change anything that may come about such as warnings, infractions or even bans once this has been stated and people either adjust or continue their current attitudes towards one another and the forum.

I am NOT a guy that likes to ban, warn or even have to make mention of these things and would much rather have people converse and express until which time the thread and posts have reached a point nothing more is gained. I have no problem when that point is reached with closing a thread in an effort to get things back to a better place and to help keep members from going so far off the rails it results in bans they'd almost never have brought upon themselves otherwise. I truly think I am about as fair as they come and I don't want to come off as some jerk or a dictator type but I have seen post after post and report after report and finally all I was waiting for has come and gone. The options are clear to me, make your point but do so with tact and respect for one another, at some point accept the fact you may have to move on at least for awhile and hope what you'd like to see answered gets answered.

As vendors a large expectation is upon you to offer the best you can and back it up with proof and support, as a member you too have a responsibility to ask questions and expect answers but we don't always get what we want on either side. It may take some time but I think in the end the good and bad will get sorted out but acting out and creating more problems is not the solution so please let's not do that anymore if possible. At some point the problem becomes you get asked to do something and you show disrespect for your fellow members and the staff as well as the owner that intends a place for all to enjoy our passion for the car we all share this obsession with for a lack of better words. That disrespect can't be tolerated but for so long so if you get warned or an infraction or a ban it may not be because you have been censored and the question you asked was an issue, it may simply be you lack the respect you should try to convey and a break or reminder is in need.

As cheesy and laughable as you might find this I always try to be very respectful of all members and live with a goal of being very peaceful and courteous to each and every one of you, laugh at this pic but if we all try to do our best to keep it in mind maybe we can all enjoy this forum and the hope of greats things for our cars and lives in 2014.

Thank you.

http://i43.tinypic.com/6i5f6t.jpg

krayzielilsmoki
01-01-2014, 03:40 PM
I completely agree with this. I dont think that this is a place for arguments, where members feel that they need to pick a side and defend it, or attack the competition. I think the members should communicate in a respectful manner and the vendors should provide products that can back up the claims.
I hope 2014 is a great year for the Fiat community! Happy New Year!

banzaitoyota
01-01-2014, 03:47 PM
Glad to see the moderating team taking a stance on vendor bickering (Both among themselves and towards members.) I raised my concerns with this issue many months ago and it appeared to be glossed over.

Tweak
01-01-2014, 11:33 PM
I completely agree with this. I dont think that this is a place for arguments, where members feel that they need to pick a side and defend it, or attack the competition. I think the members should communicate in a respectful manner and the vendors should provide products that can back up the claims.
I hope 2014 is a great year for the Fiat community! Happy New Year!

Thanks! I hope 2014 is amazing for us all!

Glad to see the moderating team taking a stance on vendor bickering (Both among themselves and towards members.) I raised my concerns with this issue many months ago and it appeared to be glossed over.

My apologies if it was me that you spoke with and felt that way, there have been fairly large changes in the past few months, not changes you guys might see but I assure you some changes have been made that should help resolve issues a little easier here when they occur.

If you or anyone has any issues I always have and continue to offer discussing anything and always try to get back in touch quickly. I know not everyone will agree with decisions that get made but we are all human and we can all make mistakes but I will always strive to do my best for the good of the forum as a whole just as I have done with the other forum and forums I have been involved with in the past.

Occasionally it might take a little time to see things get resolved but I hope no one feels like their input is not appreciated or they have been over looked.

Thanks for your thoughts and if you continue to have concerns about anything specifically drop me a PM.

DIVSAbarth500
01-03-2014, 10:33 AM
Thank you for this Tweak. It is refreshing to hear that warnings and bans are the last resort when it comes to moderating a forum, especially when it comes to such a subjective thing as discussions and exchanges.

However, I think that we should be careful not to create a false equivalency between a member and a vendor. A member is on here simply because of his or her passion and enthusiasm for the platform. A vendor is here to make money. The pursuit of money can sometimes lead people astray (that is putting it mildly). Passion and enthusiasm, in my experience, usually doesn't.

That being said, civility is the best bet among all participants on the forum.

Happy and a Healthy New Year!

rnddude
01-03-2014, 11:00 AM
"The pursuit of money can sometimes lead people astray (that is putting it mildly). Passion and enthusiasm, in my experience, usually doesn't."

I wish that were so, but the forum biggest flame wars I have seen on other sites were over opinions, not money.

DIVSAbarth500
01-03-2014, 11:31 AM
"The pursuit of money can sometimes lead people astray (that is putting it mildly). Passion and enthusiasm, in my experience, usually doesn't."

I wish that were so, but the forum biggest flame wars I have seen on other sites were over opinions, not money.

Again, as I stated, "flame wars" are subjective to the perceptions of each member. What might be a reportable post to you might be just fine on my end. Two people bickering on the internet is a big so what imo. Plus, "astray" was a very kind way of putting things lol.

However, what I was referring to was the specific exchanges referenced by Tweak between a member and a vendor.

Also, I disagree with your premise that the biggest flame wars on forums are over opinions. The majority are over opinions but the biggest are over money (meaning vendors), at least from what I have seen.

Tweak
01-03-2014, 12:01 PM
Thank you for this Tweak. It is refreshing to hear that warnings and bans are the last resort when it comes to moderating a forum, especially when it comes to such a subjective thing as discussions and exchanges.

However, I think that we should be careful not to create a false equivalency between a member and a vendor. A member is on here simply because of his or her passion and enthusiasm for the platform. A vendor is here to make money. The pursuit of money can sometimes lead people astray (that is putting it mildly). Passion and enthusiasm, in my experience, usually doesn't.

That being said, civility is the best bet among all participants on the forum.

Happy and a Healthy New Year!

Just my intention to remind everyone you have your own set of responsibilities on this or any forum regardless if you are a vendor or a member. People should be mindful of the role they are to play is the only point I intended. ;)