PDA

View Full Version : Anyone glad or frustrated with installs?

lammie200
12-31-2013, 01:41 PM
Just interested to hear if others are happy with installs that they have done themselves or had any frustrations with their installs. I haven't been back to the dealer since I bought my car and have done all the installs listed in my signature myself. This isn't meant for bragging rights - just to let people know that some of these things can be taken care of easily with the right tools and skills.

Everything that I have done was pretty easy to install with the exception of the CAI. I ended up getting larger sized couplers to make it work. However, it took about 3-4 times of installing and reinstalling to get it right.

Also, I know that it has costed me a decent chunk of change to mod my car. But the effects aren't even comparable to a stock car. Much more fun IMHO.

BigT
12-31-2013, 02:13 PM
I will say this I have installed 2 things and worked with my uncle on fabbing a shift knob. Out of the 2 things I have installed the stubby antenna was simple no frustrations. The MPx intake pipe however took the might of the gods to get the factory rubber couplers to accept it. Then the shift knob fabbing was a nightmare due to the crap quality of the cue ball I picked up from walmart being pressed plastic from plastic powder so the inset bolt we threaded into it would strip out if you applied too much torque to it when attaching the knob to the shifter rod.

ScorpionSkins.com
12-31-2013, 02:26 PM
The experience so far has been a good one. The bumpers/components of the vehicle exterior are very easy to work with and easily reassembled. Even the interior panels are quickly and easily removable. I've worked on much more fussy vehicles, that's for sure.

I can't imagine any kind of engine bay work will be much fun considering the space restrictions. I wish the oil filter were more easily accessible. I've had the dealership scratch up my windshield fluid reservoir the first time I brought the vehicle in for an oil change and I'm not looking forward to returning.

Also, we're all aware of the side skirt issues with the Abarth. Dedicated lift points beneath the vehicle would be nice. Most shops don't recognize or care not to pinch or damage the underside it seems.

lammie200
12-31-2013, 02:48 PM
...I've had the dealership scratch up my windshield fluid reservoir the first time I brought the vehicle in for an oil change and I'm not looking forward to returning...

I spaced my reservoir bottle further away from the filter a bit with nylon spacers. If you take off the passenger side wheel and the wheel well liner you can see the tabs for the reservoir bottle. Now I have a tiny bit more room to remove the filter without killing my knuckles or the filler neck. Not sure why it was designed to be so tight.

shadyabarth
12-31-2013, 03:27 PM
So far I have installed everything I have on my car but the one job I absolutely HATE doing is the oil change..Biggest pain in the ass..Mostly the filter removal..

trevc
12-31-2013, 03:39 PM
Lots of installs here (everything in my sig plus some). Just one frustration - the brake lines (specifically just one)! You can read about that here if interested http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?7993-Brake-line-woes-(long!)
Thankfully my local Fiat dealer did an excellent job fixing it at a reasonable price.

jflexe99
12-31-2013, 03:46 PM
I only did one major install so far, the ATM FMIC. Not really hard, just patience and some cursing. The stock charge pipe was a little PITA to get off without cutting off the stock coupling(which I did) and getting the ATM rubber hose on the turbo(that is one tight fit). I have medium sized/thick arms, helps if you have a skinny friend... I was REALLY screaming at that for 30 minutes haha, but easy everywhere else.