PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else notice the glass fogs incredibly easy?

Oh, Word?
12-27-2013, 08:06 PM
I thought my vw windows fogged up easy but my abarth is on the ridiculous side. Is it me or is this something anyone else has noticed? If it's below 50, which in New England it will be until late march, I HAVE to have the heat set on the windshield and depending on the weather I have to run the ac as well which I hate doing.

Other than that and the middle of my dash rattling like crazy I LOVE my abarth. All of my friends thought I was crazy getting rid of the s2000 to get this and after they drive it they completely understand.

modular
12-27-2013, 10:04 PM
Yup, noticed the same thing with the fogging windows.

Tweak
12-27-2013, 10:46 PM
Guess I thought it was just me but it fogs almost instantly which I thought was weird, at least I'm not alone. :D

DuckDodgers
12-27-2013, 11:07 PM
Maybe Italians need their glass to fog quickly...per l'amore

Oh, Word?
12-27-2013, 11:19 PM
:wink::wink::wink:
:boink:

Tweak
12-27-2013, 11:21 PM

About as good a reason as anyone could ask. :D

ScorpionSkins.com
12-28-2013, 01:01 AM
I've found the sunroof helps much. A slight crack (first open position) is all that's necessary to quickly circulate the air within the cabin and eliminate any fogging issues.

Abarth Phreak
12-28-2013, 02:22 AM
No, I haven't noticed the glass fogging easily here in Southern California. I'll watch it closer though....:joke:

Yes, it does fog somewhat easily. I can attribute this to the smaller air volume within the cabin, so it is not surprising to me. Get a coat of Rain-X Anti Fog on the inside of the window to help out a bit.

Abarth619
12-28-2013, 03:00 AM
I haven't had any fogging issues yet, but as mentioned by Abarth Phreak Anti-Fog should do the trick.

jguerdat
12-28-2013, 10:31 AM
FWIW, our '14 Cadillac ATS does the same thing. I don't know if this represents new strategies throughout the industry but it's annoying. Our "old" ('11) Volvo C30 had no such problem, nor did previous cars such as '06 TSX or '03 MB C230...

lenswerks
12-28-2013, 10:40 AM
Yes, I have noticed.
Caused by cabin being small, a good amount of heat being radiated into the cabin from firewall and the car is air tight compared to some other cars.

aevansgatech
12-28-2013, 10:50 AM
The front defrost on this car sucks bigtime :nonchalance:

bryanintowson
12-28-2013, 11:28 AM
small car, proximity to glass = lots of fog. I find that either cracking the window open or just running with the AC on will do the trick to clear it.

Yorkman1
12-28-2013, 11:50 AM
Super light coating of cat spit for the winter. Use it on goggles and such. Works on cars as long as you buff it down real good

Tweak
12-28-2013, 01:45 PM
The front defrost on this car sucks bigtime :nonchalance:

I found the opposite to be true luckily, once I turn it on the window clears almost instantly even when the engine has not fully warmed.

Fiat500USA
12-28-2013, 02:02 PM
I found the opposite to be true luckily, once I turn it on the window clears almost instantly even when the engine has not fully warmed.

This thread reminds me of a similar one on Audiworld about my Audi A4.biggrin My defrost works great, too. Make sure you don't have recirculate on when using the defrost.

RedAbarth
12-28-2013, 03:14 PM
This thread reminds me of a similar one on Audiworld about my Audi A4.biggrin My defrost works great, too. Make sure you don't have recirculate on when using the defrost.

I agree, my defrost works great, also. I had the fogging windshield once. I turned it off recirculate and have never had another problem. And I live in Seattle...

SeaDawg
12-28-2013, 04:53 PM

If you punch the defrost button on auto-climate control cars doesn't the system automatically take itself off recirc? I'm asking because I'm too lazy to double check to make sure what it actually states in the owner's manual.:friendly_wink:

Tweak
12-28-2013, 10:31 PM
If you punch the defrost button on auto-climate control cars doesn't the system automatically take itself off recirc? I'm asking because I'm too lazy to double check to make sure what it actually states in the owner's manual.:friendly_wink:

I want to say yes as it seems I have noticed this but alas I too am lazy...haha.

DuckDodgers
12-30-2013, 07:53 PM
Paper Owner's Manual, Page 204, Section on Automatic Climate Control:

"NOTE: In cold weather, use of Recirculation mode may lead to excessive window fogging. The Recirculation mode is not allowed in the Defrost mode to improve window clearing operation. Recirculation will be disabled automatically if this mode is selected."

"Additional NOTE: For those engaged in frisky activities, the selection of Defrost mode may result in sudden window clearing and unexpected voyeurs and/or police attention! Use of Recirculate mode is encouraged and special attention to battery charge is advised as such activity in Neutral with the engine running is NOT recommended."

mark449
12-30-2013, 10:07 PM
The only problem I have with both my fiats glass is its always seems to be hazy when it rains and the wipers wipe the windshield.
Anyone else have this problem?

bryanintowson
12-31-2013, 11:12 AM
I had this issue for a while - then I had the blades replaced. :P

Bikebits
01-01-2014, 08:56 AM
The only two cars we've had that it seems the windows fog excessively easily have been the only two with cabin air filters. That's a Ford Escape and the 500. My guess is that the cabin air filter is enough of a barrier to natural air circulation that fan pressure has to be used to move air to prevent fogging.

mark449
01-01-2014, 05:12 PM
Ive replaced blades on both of them, Ill snap a picture next time and start my own thread not to hijack this one.

chrisnov500
01-02-2014, 01:51 AM
if your cabin is somewhat dry, you wont see any fogs at all in most weather conditions.
for example, if you bring snow or rain into the car (ie, from your shoes, etc), those snows/rain will evaporate when you turn your heater on.
also, the cabin in our car is so small when you heavily breath to front (natural breathing position), i see them getting fogged up pretty quick especially in winter time.
I use e-cig and those are vaporizer so i get fogs all the time. when it happens, I crack the passenger window just a bit and full on the heater to the bottom.
you will feel the cold but after a minute or two, your cabin will be dry and you wont see the fogs anymore.
also, your body evaporates moist as well when you feel you are hot. this will bring the fogs back in to the cabin as well..
car so small, you cant do much.. lol

hope this helps!

PS: getting fresh air is very important when you are using heater in the winter time especially if you are driving small car...
you need fresh oxygen in the cabin to have safe and pleasant driving.

chrisnov500
01-02-2014, 02:05 AM
The only problem I have with both my fiats glass is its always seems to be hazy when it rains and the wipers wipe the windshield.
Anyone else have this problem?

have you ever deep clean the front glass after you bought your car?
its usually the thin layer of film/oil on the glass and will act like frost film when you use the wiper.

changing the wiper will help somewhat but it wont solve the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=LoL3KkpEufM#t=81
watch it from 1:21 mark.

hopefully this will help some people :)

Oh, Word?
01-02-2014, 08:13 PM
After switching to non recirc it's much better with the fog, it never crossed my mind as I always have it on just out of habit. Still had some fog out there today but were also on the front edge of a storm that promises to dump at least a foot.

Me rod
01-02-2014, 10:49 PM
I think there are more than a few people who don't know that keeping recirculating on causes fogging, and don't know that a/c takes humidity out of the air, thereby stopping fogging occurring.

I am originally from Scotland where it rains most days, and we have over 25 words for rain. In every car I drive, I have the fan set to low speed, aimed at glass, with recirculating off and a/c on regardless of exterior temp. My cars never fog.