PDA

View Full Version : P2261 Code Thrown

ksig421
12-24-2013, 07:31 PM
Hi everyone I had just got my first cel with with just over 15k miles. Its p2261 "Turbocharger/supercharger Bypass Valve-Mechanical" according to the torque app. I just got an oil change and installed my HCI (which is awesome btw) and went on a spirited run and threw this code with a cel. I have got this code once before a few weeks ago and went into limp home mode, but didnt get a cel. Does anyone know what would cause it? I think I might need to bring it in to the LS. Any help or insight is appreciated. Thanks and Happy Holidays.

musicsurf
12-24-2013, 08:45 PM
Hi everyone I had just got my first cel with with just over 15k miles. Its p2261 "Turbocharger/supercharger Bypass Valve-Mechanical" according to the torque app. I just got an oil change and installed my HCI (which is awesome btw) and went on a spirited run and threw this code with a cel. I have got this code once before a few weeks ago and went into limp home mode, but didnt get a cel. Does anyone know what would cause it? I think I might need to bring it in to the LS. Any help or insight is appreciated. Thanks and Happy Holidays.

I would check all the vacuum lines having to do with the bypass valve (bov), ie. the line coming from the compressor to the boost solenoid and the lines connected to the solenoid and the points they connect to (intake and turbo actuator). Check to make sure none of the bolts have come loose on the bov as well.

ksig421
12-24-2013, 10:01 PM
I would check all the vacuum lines having to do with the bypass valve (bov), ie. the line coming from the compressor to the boost solenoid and the lines connected to the solenoid and the points they connect to (intake and turbo actuator). Check to make sure none of the bolts have come loose on the bov as well.

Thank you for the response. I checked all the lines and nothing seems to be out of the ordinary. I have the blog off valve plate. Not the actual bov. Could the bovp be the problem? I have had it on for over 10k miles with no problems.

musicsurf
12-24-2013, 10:20 PM
Thank you for the response. I checked all the lines and nothing seems to be out of the ordinary. I have the blog off valve plate. Not the actual bov. Could the bovp be the problem? I have had it on for over 10k miles with no problems.

Is the car running fine? If it were me, I would remove the blow off plate and see if the problem reoccurs, if it does you can bring in to your dealer to diagnose. I think there could be a few reasons ranging from failing valve, solenoid, vacuum leak, etc. Since the oil was changed and work is done in the area of all those vacuum lines, that is the most likely culprit in my mind. It was a completely different code (overboost a, I believe) but Redred had issues after an oil change and it ended up being a ripped boot on the vacuum line to the turbo actuator.

ksig421
12-24-2013, 10:46 PM
Is the car running fine? If it were me, I would remove the blow off plate and see if the problem reoccurs, if it does you can bring in to your dealer to diagnose. I think there could be a few reasons ranging from failing valve, solenoid, vacuum leak, etc. Since the oil was changed and work is done in the area of all those vacuum lines, that is the most likely culprit in my mind. It was a completely different code (overboost a, I believe) but Redred had issues after an oil change and it ended up being a ripped boot on the vacuum line to the turbo actuator.

That is a great point Considering I just got an oil change. I'm going to take it off and see if it can be replicated. Thank you for your help. Happy holidays!

musicsurf
12-24-2013, 11:20 PM
Your welcome and the same to you!

Fiat500USA
12-25-2013, 01:34 AM
Some info for you on the P2261 code:

Theory of Operation
When the accelerator is closed suddenly, excessive boost pressure can build up between the Turbocharger and the Throttle Body which can cause damage to the Turbocharger. This can occur because the compressed air created by the Turbocharger has no place to go. This results in compressor surge. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) detects this pressure increase via input from the Boost Pressure Sensor. The Boost Pressure Sensor operates as a typical three wire sensor. The PCM provides a 5–volt supply and sensor return circuit to the Boost Pressure Sensor and receives a feedback voltage on the signal circuit. The Turbocharger Surge Valve is responsible for venting the boost pressure between the Turbocharger and Throttle Body during sudden deceleration. The Turbocharger Surge Valve is normally spring loaded closed. When the PCM receives an input signal from the Boost Pressure Sensor that the pressure is above a calibrated amount, the PCM grounds the Turbocharger Surge Valve Control circuit which electrically opens the valve and routes the excess pressure between the Turbocharger and the Throttle Body back to the inlet of the Turbocharger, relieving the pressure and preventing compressor surge.

•When Monitored:
With the engine running, the Turbocharger Surge Valve commanded open, and no DTCs pending for the Turbocharger Surge Valve, Wastegate Solenoid, or Boost Pressure Sensor.
•Set Condition:
A fault is set when the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) detects ten or more surge pulsations.

Possible Causes

BOOST PRESSURE SENSOR, WIRING, OR RELATED CONNECTORS
TURBOCHARGER SURGE VALVE, WIRING, OR RELATED COMPONENTS

courtesy of Chrysler LLC