PDA

View Full Version : Abarth maintenance schedule.

slowbird
12-23-2013, 08:18 PM
So I just took ownership of a pre-owned Abarth. I'm flipping through the maintenance book and it shows the Timing Belt needs to be replaced every 247,000kms (154,000miles). I spoke to the service guy at the dealership and he was surprised that the Maintenance schedule from Fiat says this but said: "I still recommend it gets replaced every 100k" :freak:

Maintenance Schedule also shows Oil changes not to exceed 13,000kms (8,000miles) or 6 months. Dealer says 8,000kms (5,000miles).

What's the thought about these things amongst the Abarth community?

Tweak
12-23-2013, 08:33 PM
So I just took ownership of a pre-owned Abarth. I'm flipping through the maintenance book and it shows the Timing Belt needs to be replaced every 247,000kms (154,000miles). I spoke to the service guy at the dealership and he was surprised that the Maintenance schedule from Fiat says this but said: "I still recommend it gets replaced every 100k" :freak:

Maintenance Schedule also shows Oil changes not to exceed 13,000kms (8,000miles) or 6 months. Dealer says 8,000kms (5,000miles).

I don't currently have any thoughts on the Timing Belt and will decide as I watch what happens with others that reach higher mileage before I do then I will decide.

For oil, these cars burn it and shear it down fairly well so my intent will be to shoot for about 6K, anything more makes me uncomfortable and anything more is a bit wasteful with the tech we have in synthetic oil today.

slowbird
12-23-2013, 08:50 PM
I'll definitley be doing some Oil Analysis as I do them regularly with my Bike. That'll probably help me figure out what to do in regards to oil change intervals.

Maybe the oil burning is why the Spark Plugs are recommended to be changed every 50,000kms (31,000miles)?

Tweak
12-23-2013, 09:20 PM
I'll definitley be doing some Oil Analysis as I do them regularly with my Bike. That'll probably help me figure out what to do in regards to oil change intervals.

Maybe the oil burning is why the Spark Plugs are recommended to be changed every 50,000kms (31,000miles)?

I am basing my decision off a few people having posted results of their oil analysis, that and knowing my own oil usage and the problems that can come from not having things right especially with the Multi-Air engine design. The relation of the oil and plugs sounds logical enough but I'll certainly let someone with far more knowledge expand on that one as it pertains to our motors.

Abarth Phreak
12-23-2013, 09:49 PM
I am basing my decision off a few people having posted results of their oil analysis, that and knowing my own oil usage and the problems that can come from not having things right especially with the Multi-Air engine design. The relation of the oil and plugs sounds logical enough but I'll certainly let someone with far more knowledge expand on that one as it pertains to our motors.

I will never understand why people think that constant UOA is actually helpful for oil changes....you paid for the UOA...why not just change the oil again and not worry about it. (Just kidding Tweak...just stirring the pot on this topic...LOL) Even more important than the UOA is actually checking oil routinely to replace lost oil midway.

In regards to the topic, dealers will always recommend a more aggressive interval for service. I am at 17,000 miles now and have yet to go to dealer except or warranty concern, but I am sure their recommended service has me over due for loads of stuff. I will be there at 20K though. Its not only money to them, but also its an investment in keeping the car top notch. At minimum, I would recommend inspections of the belt to check for unusual concerns.

DuckDodgers
12-23-2013, 09:55 PM
Suggestion 1: Ignore dealership "suggested" intervals, they are almost always there to sell more service visits. Also, check what they recommend vs. the Fiat schedule because they will add in some stuff.

Suggestion 2: Always follow AT LEAST the Fiat schedule.

Suggestion 3: The built in oil change monitor will let you know when you should change...but the more paranoid among us will change more often. Oil change intervals between 3000 to 8000 miles are the subject of great debate and disagreement...you have to decide where your comfort zone lies.

Comment: Plug change interval seems reasonable for a small turbo performance engine. I changed the transmission oil at 1200 miles, and the dealership didn't encourage that...that surprised me. Oil analysis is a great tool to see inside your engine.

slowbird
12-23-2013, 10:11 PM
Suggestion 1: Ignore dealership "suggested" intervals, they are almost always there to sell more service visits. Also, check what they recommend vs. the Fiat schedule because they will add in some stuff.

Suggestion 2: Always follow AT LEAST the Fiat schedule.

Suggestion 3: The built in oil change monitor will let you know when you should change...but the more paranoid among us will change more often. Oil change intervals between 3000 to 8000 miles are the subject of great debate and disagreement...you have to decide where your comfort zone lies.

Comment: Plug change interval seems reasonable for a small turbo performance engine. I changed the transmission oil at 1200 miles, and the dealership didn't encourage that...that surprised me. Oil analysis is a great tool to see inside your engine.

Thanks for the reply. Good advice :-)

Tweak
12-23-2013, 11:49 PM
I completely agree about not paying attention to the dealer, if I did they'd have me back every 3K (local dealer) and around the 6K mark with my actual dealer. I haven't bothered with the analysis myself but knowing what I saw from some others and knowing I tend to be a bit heavy of foot I've decided to shoot for around 6K, not likely to exceed much beyond 7K. I like the oil life indicator option and usually just say go with it but after seeing the results of the oil going from 40 to 30 and the fact many have reported how much loss they experience I just made a decision that works for my budget and driving style. :cool:

Corrnaus
12-24-2013, 12:52 AM

Thats also one of the reasons that I will not get my work done at Peel, tried the same thing. Another reason is that when I got my first oil change, it was free and they topped it up with the recommended 4 liters of oil. My second change when I was paying for it, all of a sudden my car takes 5 liters of oil apparently which is an extra charge of$16 added to an already $110 change. Was not happy and I do not go to them anymore.

Stick with the service manual at 13km. I have been doing mine around 11 or 12 as the 6months has come before the km requirement (that is for a 2012, 2013 are 1 year.. stupid, nothing changed). Also keep a eye on the oil level every few weeks. I went without checking for about 2 months and my oil was down almost a liter. took it in to Johnston and had a consumption test done, but didn't show any leaks or issues. Have a extra bottle of oil handy for a top up. It is the normal of turbo cars to burn some oil.

zyxelenator
12-24-2013, 01:07 AM
I will never understand why people think that constant UOA is actually helpful for oil changes....you paid for the UOA...why not just change the oil again and not worry about it. (Just kidding Tweak...just stirring the pot on this topic...LOL) Even more important than the UOA is actually checking oil routinely to replace lost oil midway.

constant uoa will be a waste of money. Couple of them in the beginning to establish your limit, depending on oil and driving style you have, then every couple of years to check on things or if you suspect something (like loosing coolant for example with no external leaks). I do it constantly on all cars in my sig, just because I'm comparing oils in similar conditions, it is interesting to me.

ScorpionSkins.com
12-24-2013, 02:48 AM
...all of a sudden my car takes 5 liters of oil apparently which is an extra charge of$16 added to an already $110 change.

Jesus, that's arguably a 65% profit margin they managed to pull in. I'd almost be willing to fancy the idea of paying that amount if the quality of their work exceeded (or even met) my expectations. Sadly, that can't be said of the service department experience I've had at my selling dealer so far.

Abarth Phreak
12-24-2013, 04:10 AM
constant uoa will be a waste of money. Couple of them in the beginning to establish your limit, depending on oil and driving style you have, then every couple of years to check on things or if you suspect something (like loosing coolant for example with no external leaks). I do it constantly on all cars in my sig, just because I'm comparing oils in similar conditions, it is interesting to me.

I get it...no harm in doing it of course, just not always needed. It can be an interesting hobby. I would be interested to see UOA for a 4 quart 5,000 mile run vs. a 3 quart low run to compare what is actually happening in the real world. (That 25% is a common loss for those not checking and topping between changes.)

Little Italy
12-24-2013, 12:17 PM
FWIW...

Based on a ridiculous amount of research here and at Bob is the oil guy, and my driving habits, plus the fact that I suffer from terminal OCD, I will be changing my oil every 5,000 miles with Pennzoil Ultra Euro.

I live in a very cold climate (-1 when I woke up this morning) and my less than 5 mile commute.

slowbird
12-24-2013, 08:37 PM
It was -15 Celsius this Afternoon when I left for work. I think I need the Abarth pluged into the block heater a bit longer. :-P

msjulie33
12-25-2013, 11:26 AM
It was -15 Celsius this Afternoon when I left for work. I think I need the Abarth pluged into the block heater a bit longer. :-P

Merry Christmas - that's just too cold! :)

DuckDodgers
12-25-2013, 11:51 AM
I did an analysis at 1200 mile change just to get an idea of how the engine was starting life. If you look it up, it was a little heavy on silicone (wearing off from build) but otherwise the oil would have been fine to leave to 5000 easy. My next indicator called for change was at 6000 miles.

I intend an analysis about every year or 12-15000 miles, just to keep an eye on trends. The compulsive would opt for the oil life analysis during the check to determine exactly how the oil is holding up...but I consider that a little "anal"ysis. Most studies find the oil holds up longer than the filters these days.

FiatCACares
12-27-2013, 11:10 AM

Slowbird,

I'm sorry to learn of any confusion regarding the maintenance requirements of your Abarth. Advancements in engine design, engine oil formulation and vehicle electronics allow for the extension of oil change intervals. These advancements reduce the environmental impact of oil changes and helps reduce ownership and maintenance costs.

Included in you vehicle's Owner's Manual is the maintenance service schedule recommended by Fiat Canada, and required as a minimum for warranty purposes. Any service enhancements suggested by an authorized Fiat Studio will reflect local driving condition distinctions.

shadowshaggy
12-27-2013, 11:32 AM
From working in dealer environments for several years, if you follow what's in the maintenance schedule - they can't void your warranty for lack of following it. If you change oil when the schedule says so and the engine suffers from an oiling problem, then it's on Fiat.

I've seen some dealers "reach" and try to get more money claiming you have to do certain things like 3k oil changes rather than 7500 mile changes, while the people doing 7500 mile changes never had engine trouble, the 3k changes just spent nearly 3x as much money changing oil more frequently. If the factory says 150k on timing belt, then there's no specific reason to do it before. Although, that does make an interesting point - you shouldn't have to change the timing belt unless you really intend on putting 150k on the car.

slowbird
12-28-2013, 07:45 AM
Included in you vehicle's Owner's Manual is the maintenance service schedule recommended by Fiat Canada, and required as a minimum for warranty purposes. Any service enhancements suggested by an authorized Fiat Studio will reflect local driving condition distinctions.

Thanks for the reply. It's much appreciated.

I understand what you are saying...but I cannot imagine how my local driving conditions can decrese the service life of the timing belt by more than half. I really do believe it to be a money grab from the dealer.

From working in dealer environments for several years, if you follow what's in the maintenance schedule - they can't void your warranty for lack of following it. If you change oil when the schedule says so and the engine suffers from an oiling problem, then it's on Fiat.

I've seen some dealers "reach" and try to get more money claiming you have to do certain things like 3k oil changes rather than 7500 mile changes, while the people doing 7500 mile changes never had engine trouble, the 3k changes just spent nearly 3x as much money changing oil more frequently. If the factory says 150k on timing belt, then there's no specific reason to do it before. Although, that does make an interesting point - you shouldn't have to change the timing belt unless you really intend on putting 150k on the car.

I have also worked at a dealership and I agree 100%

FiatCares
01-02-2014, 05:26 PM

Id confirm your maintenance schedule with my Canadian counterpart, Katie @ FiatCACares

slowbird
01-02-2014, 11:07 PM
Id confirm your maintenance schedule with my Canadian counterpart, Katie @ FiatCACares

Thanks Jonathn! Katie replied a couple posts up :-)

tannem9
09-01-2016, 04:28 PM
Thats also one of the reasons that I will not get my work done at Peel, tried the same thing. Another reason is that when I got my first oil change, it was free and they topped it up with the recommended 4 liters of oil. My second change when I was paying for it, all of a sudden my car takes 5 liters of oil apparently which is an extra charge of$16 added to an already $110 change. Was not happy and I do not go to them anymore.

Stick with the service manual at 13km. I have been doing mine around 11 or 12 as the 6months has come before the km requirement (that is for a 2012, 2013 are 1 year.. stupid, nothing changed). Also keep a eye on the oil level every few weeks. I went without checking for about 2 months and my oil was down almost a liter. took it in to Johnston and had a consumption test done, but didn't show any leaks or issues. Have a extra bottle of oil handy for a top up. It is the normal of turbo cars to burn some oil.

What changed for the time interval is the oil life sensor on the 2013 models, which received a programming update to take more precise measurements.

capobianco
09-25-2016, 09:55 PM
Anyone hit 154,000 miles on their Abarth? Curious to know if anyone needed to replace the timing belt for regular maintenance.