PDA

View Full Version : driving 70 miles a day.

Ivan Argenal
12-22-2013, 08:00 AM
I will be driving 70 miles a day. 35 miles each way. This will be mostly highway miles.
It might take 90 minutes to 150 minutes of driving a day ( partial stop and go traffic). Does this type of driving seem practical for the fiat e?
Will I be able to make it with one charge.. leaving the lights on during the round trip?
What if I take two people on this trip?
Your thoughts...suggestions

Tweak
12-22-2013, 10:32 AM
Welcome to the forum.

I don't have the e as an option or know exactly it's best uses and limitations but several members are around with one and will have some info for you shortly I am sure. Enjoy the forum!

rnddude
12-22-2013, 12:11 PM
I have a 500e, my daily commute is also 35 miles each way. I have the luxury of having a stage 2 charger at one end of my drive, so I can do both ways on one charge, as you likely could do also. The problem is if you plan on only using the supplied 110v. level 1 charger, let me explain. If you start with a full charge, you could get there and back no problem. The problem is that once you get back home the discharge level will require about 18 hours to recharge on the 110v. charger, which means the car would NOT have enough charge the next morning to do the commute both ways. If you could plug in at work, you may be able to get enough charge there to make it practical. General rule of thumb is that you get 4 miles of range for every hour on the 110v. charger. If you figure about 8 hours of charge at work, and 12-14 hours at home, you would get about 80 to 85 miles of charge back to use daily. That is cutting it pretty close. Perhaps you could find a level 2 charger near work, which would allow you to fast charge totally in 2-3 hours, or you install one at home. Hope this helps...

rcboosted
12-22-2013, 01:16 PM
I do 62 miles a day on my commute on my 500e. I am fortunate enough to have a level 2 at work as well, so I'm charged up daily. Since I hit traffic most of the times, the range is not a problem most day, and I get to crank the heater everyday. Sometimes when the traffic is flowing great, and I hit speeds above 65mph, then I had to be more careful about the HVAC and watch the battery %.

I would say if you have a Level 2 some where, you should be fine as long as you stay below 65mph and watch your HVAC use. Running errands on the same charge would be a challenge though.

Interesting note about drafting, I found that if I draft behind a semi at 65mph, I get the same mpge as if I was cruising by myself at 55mph.

BritinNoCal
12-23-2013, 06:49 PM
I have a 52 mile commute, which is obviously significantly shorter. However, I would make the following observations.
You will need to have a Level 2 charger, as 110V will not recharge overnight.
The amount of Stop Go Traffic makes a difference to range; my car uses less of its charge on a day with heavy traffic on the freeway.
55mph seems to produce significantly better range than 65mph
You will need to be selective with the heating/AC, as running it for the whole trip will take 10-15 miles from the 85 range.

nathan_h
12-27-2013, 01:47 AM
I will be driving 70 miles a day. 35 miles each way. This will be mostly highway miles.
It might take 90 minutes to 150 minutes of driving a day ( partial stop and go traffic). Does this type of driving seem practical for the fiat e?
Will I be able to make it with one charge.. leaving the lights on during the round trip?

The stop and go traffic will be VERY helpful. My range can exceed 100 miles when a lot of it involves slowing down.

But the warnings about charging mentioned are very real. You'll want to figure out a way to get some Level2 charging into your life, unless you can literally always have it one 110 when it's not in motion (at work, at home, while shopping, visiting friends, at the movies, whatever).

Interesting note about drafting, I found that if I draft behind a semi at 65mph, I get the same mpge as if I was cruising by myself at 55mph.

That's awesome!

Mr_Shush
03-18-2014, 12:12 AM

This commute is almost identical to my commute. I use about 1/3 of battery power each way. I have L2 charging at work and am in the process of installing L2 at home. Easy peazy.

Reggie70
04-21-2014, 08:04 PM
Hi,
I recently obtained a Fiat 500e and I have been driving it to work every other day on my 70 mile commute. (I only have the Level 1 charging option at this time, but I will be getting the Level 2. On my 35 mile commute to work I have to go other a few hills with elevations up to 1100 feet for at 20 miles, but it is mostly uphill and then a rapid downhill at then end. This hilly part is in the middle of the mainly flat portions of my commute for the other 15 miles. I use about 40% of my battery and about 8kwh. I also have stop and go traffic for about half of this trip and definitely the last 7 miles. On the way home is I have a about 70% downhill as go up the hill quickly and get to do a lost of coasting on the way back. The flat parts are about the same, I get 7 miles of stop and go at the beginnng before I get up and over the hill. At the end of my daily commute, I have about 29% battery remaining. I have done my commute and once back in town managed to add another 20 miles in town before I was getting critically low. I have only had the car for a month. But these are my results.