PDA

View Full Version : Abarth no start. Flooded

slowbird
12-20-2013, 08:53 AM
I just purchased an Abarth but when I was shopping around for them I came across a Pre-owned 2012 at a Fiat dealer. It had less than 30000kms (18,641miles), it sat on Eibachs and looked to be in very good shape.

Salesman pulled it out of the parking spot and shut the car off. (So It was running for less than a minute) We looked at it for a minute or two and I asked for the keys so I could start it up and let it warm up for a test drive. (it was a bit below freezing out)

I went to go start the car. It turned over and started but quickly stumbled and died. Tried again and I got some pops from the exhaust but no dice. tried again and it was just turning over. Salesman and mechanic came out and tried and I was now in a position to see the black smoke coming out of the exhaust. Not alot. But noticeable.

We pushed it into the garage where they took the plugs out and they were fouled due to the engine flooding. It was then I noticed a white sticker under the hood and handwritten on it in black marker said "Reprogrammed PCM". I figured that might be the problem but I heard a tech say that it's a common problem with the 1.4 Multiair Turbo.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Dwaynek
12-20-2013, 09:20 AM
Never has been an Issue with mine, have had near two years

Dwaynek
12-20-2013, 09:20 AM
And I have had my ecu re programmed

trevc
12-20-2013, 09:43 AM
no issues here since April 2012

slowbird
12-20-2013, 09:56 AM
Yeah, and I can't find anything when searching forums.

I remeber hearing awhile back that the RX-8's when they first came out had an issue where the engine would flood if you shut it off while it was still cold and hadn't been running for awhile. For example, If you moved your car from the street to the driveway.
That was the first thing that came to mind when it happened.

Obviously both cars are completely different with totally different engines and in no way related.

Robert Nixon
12-20-2013, 10:03 AM
I'm not a mechanic, and don't work for FIAT, but I would say that what the mechanic said is total BS.

slowbird
12-20-2013, 10:16 AM
I'm not a mechanic, and don't work for FIAT, but I would say that what the mechanic said is total BS.

Well the plugs being fouled with fuel is accurate as I saw them myself. Also explains the black smoke puffing out the exhaust.

Regarding the tech saying it's common with the 1.4Multiair turbo, he did say it was common with the Dodge Darts with that engine and not the Fiats. The Tech happended to be an old friend of mine so it's possible he could be mistaken. But I doubt he was purposley misleading me.

msjulie33
12-20-2013, 10:41 AM
It has always been suggested to not start an engine and then stop so quickly, especially if it's cold out as the quicker idle can (supposedly) do exactly what it sounds like - floods. Temp condition and it used to happen to VWs and Hondas family had... move the car 2 feet to wash it then it won't start nicely..

slowbird
12-20-2013, 10:53 AM
It has always been suggested to not start an engine and then stop so quickly, especially if it's cold out as the quicker idle can (supposedly) do exactly what it sounds like - floods. Temp condition and it used to happen to VWs and Hondas family had... move the car 2 feet to wash it then it won't start nicely..

Sounds like it.

But I am very happy to hear that it is not common place with these vehicles.

Robert Nixon
12-20-2013, 11:18 AM
The "common problem" is what I was referring to, not doubting that there was an issue with the plugs or not.

trevc
12-20-2013, 11:23 AM
Yeah, not sure I have ever had to stop my engine right after starting it so as msjulie says it could be an issue, I just have never run into it.