PDA

View Full Version : Low boost with piggyback ECUs installed after reflash?

Mic413
12-19-2013, 10:11 PM
What's up guys I really need some help here. Iv been pulling my hair out. A little back story. After I got my car, I made my own open K&N intake. Next I got a Mpx throttle body. I then did the free HP mod. Soon got the common cel everyone got. I soon picked up the RRM v2 ecu. At this point the power was great, boosting around 19-20 psi. All was gravy but still setting that cel. I then found the Ryephile fix. Of course it seems, I still got the cel! And it seemed like I was the only one. I redid the Ryephile evap mod a few times, still cel. Kinda gave up and Just drove it. I found there was a TSB for a reflash to fix this pesky cel. So I put the jumper connector on my RRM harness and got this reflash. So did the RRM 80 miles under 4k sport off. No cel! Hit sport.....power felt blah. I found I quickly boosted 12-bounced 11..slowing crept to 16 before I had to shift. I thought maybe I screwed up the relearn, so I did another 80 miles...same thing. I put the jumper connector on, running stock tune, boosting a quick 18psi as normal, actually felt faster. I tried the relearn again, same issue. So I thought maybe it was my RRM box. So I said screw it and ordered the RRM Ultimate ECU. Did the 80 miles, so excited to hit sport....boom same issue! Again tried stock...18psi. Anyone heard of this? I checked the ecu flash part numbers and all the numbers were the same but changed from AB to AC, so I know the correct flash was used. I have since done a boost leak test, held a solid 30 psi, and I tried adj my wastegate for ****s, same result. I'm pretty bummed. Any help would be much appreciated. Well I guess plus side, no more dtc lol.

Abarth Five O
12-19-2013, 10:36 PM
I heard a few guys had some issues w/ the MPX TB. You might want to put the stock TB back and see what happens. Would like to see a pic of your homemade KN intake. You might want to also double check all your fittings and lines for leaks, etc.

Tweak
12-19-2013, 10:36 PM
I have an older TMC unit and went a long time without issue then I started to get some boost issues...limp mode though and could not boost past 6lbs...I think my issue was being a little low on oil so other than I am not able to suggest anything else at the moment. I haven't had the problem return since the oil change.

trevc
12-20-2013, 10:02 AM
No issues here - mods in sig. I boost at 24/25 PSI on WOT now (measured with real boost gauge).
I wish I had a suggestion for you but this does seem a very odd issue that I have not heard of before.
Maybe a small leak in a hose somewhere?

Mic413
12-20-2013, 12:23 PM
Thanks for all the replys guys. I checked my oil and it's at a good level. Like I said though, it's weird, it seems to boost fine, and strong with the piggyback unplugged. Iv done a few boost leak tests, and this car holds better than any other turbo car iv owned. I'll have to try and swap out my T/B, but like I said it boosts fine no ecu. I wonder if I have a sensor somewhere that doesn't like the ecu. Thanks for the help so far.

Mic413
12-22-2013, 10:46 PM
Hey guys still having the issue. Talked with Rob at RRM lastnight, and he wanted me to ditch the free hp mod and try doing a reset and try again. Same thing. I did a log tonight 2nd-3rd wot. Im hoping someone can take a look at it and see something im not. This is the first log iv taken on my Abarth so im not sure whats supposed to look normal. A few things that stuck out to me were the Baro/Boost sensor seems to be flat lined always at 27.46HG always. The Throttle position is only at 87% at wot 100% load. IAT is at 90 degrees and it was only 50 out, seem excessive. Any help would be much appreciated.

FTY
12-22-2013, 11:36 PM
Throttle postion max is 87% on these cars. That isnormal. Have you have done a full reset as in 30min battery disconnect? One way to know if you really did a reset is if the clock has been reset. Any stored codes?

shagghie
12-23-2013, 03:07 AM
Hey guys still having the issue. Talked with Rob at RRM lastnight, and he wanted me to ditch the free hp mod and try doing a reset and try again. Same thing. I did a log tonight 2nd-3rd wot. Im hoping someone can take a look at it and see something im not. This is the first log iv taken on my Abarth so im not sure whats supposed to look normal. A few things that stuck out to me were the Baro/Boost sensor seems to be flat lined always at 27.46HG always. The Throttle position is only at 87% at wot 100% load. IAT is at 90 degrees and it was only 50 out, seem excessive. Any help would be much appreciated.

Man i'm so sorry you are still going through this… what's left that you can put back to stock? I wouldn't have wasted time on the boost leak mod, that's literally the oldest mod there is on these cars and no one's ever had a single problem other than the benign P1CEA inconvenience light. Did he mention why he wanted you to back out that mod in order to troubleshoot this? Guess I don't understand why you would break something in order to fix it so to speak. I'm sure there is a good reason!

mneuman916
12-23-2013, 08:58 AM
My money is on the throttle body. Hopefully it's a quick swap for you!

Yorkman1
12-23-2013, 09:30 AM
Swapping it is a PITA. But be careful not to break the plastic nipples. They are fragile. Consider a little lube when u put em back on. Have you traced out all your lines and checked your inter cooler connections. Could have bumped something loose.

Mic413
12-23-2013, 06:14 PM
Thanks for all the love fellas. No DTCs, iv tried a sh!t ton of resets. I know it's not a leak, iv done a few boost leak tests now, rock solid. Tonight in going to swap my TB. Thinking about it it would make sense. Both the v2 and ultimate ECUs mess with it. Hopefully it's it, starting to get really frustrating. After the TB swap I'll be stock again!

Mic413
12-23-2013, 09:54 PM
Well I got the OE TB swapped in. Iv only put 20 miles on it so far, but I can tell something is still up. I'll do the full 80, but I still think something is up. Looks like a dealer visit might be in the future.