PDA

View Full Version : Any ECU updates post 4/13 for Abarth?

msjulie33
12-17-2013, 10:43 AM
I ask because when my car is cold (45 is not COLD) for the first minute it feels like an old timey car with a bad choke. Doesn't last long but it does make you feel a bit of a clod when driving since it surges/chokes a tad till it warms up. Could this be the boost leak plus cold, some small adjustment needed or ? Not psyched to take to dealer cause it would have to sit to be cold enough and don't have the confidence they'll find anything.. unless it's easy like you need this flash update... car manufacture date was 4/13

Thanks

edit - I don't zoom right off but I don't idle either; drive off just as I would have in any car, gently till it's warm..

shadowshaggy
12-17-2013, 11:10 AM
mine does the same thing when its ~35 or less. mfg date of 9/13.

msjulie33
12-17-2013, 09:53 PM
mine does the same thing when its ~35 or less. mfg date of 9/13.

Hmm - I notice it happens within the first min or so, during "cold" fast idle.. but the garage is always at least 50 and I don't consider that cold... so I guess this means no evap system changes had any impact... boo!

thanks

ABARTH TAMER
12-18-2013, 10:17 AM
Build date 1/13. Runs well cold. (cold in San Diego is 40d)

trevc
12-18-2013, 02:04 PM
Build date March 2012 and been flashed once. So far down to 23 F here and no issues.

shadowshaggy
12-18-2013, 02:39 PM
Hmm - I notice it happens within the first min or so, during "cold" fast idle.. but the garage is always at least 50 and I don't consider that cold... so I guess this means no evap system changes had any impact... boo!

thanks

mine stutters when i leave the driveway 200-300 feet worth, after 2nd gear shift its good

deathshead
12-18-2013, 03:53 PM
mine stutters when i leave the driveway 200-300 feet worth, after 2nd gear shift its good

Ya gotta let it warm up a bit.

shadowshaggy
12-18-2013, 04:00 PM
The new standard for "warmed up" is running for approximately 30 seconds. Mine usually runs for 2-3 minutes before I back up and take off. It stutters up to about 10mph, shift to second stutters a little more, then fine after that. Not exceeding 2000 rpm's either.

msjulie33
12-18-2013, 05:03 PM
The new standard for "warmed up" is running for approximately 30 seconds. Mine usually runs for 2-3 minutes before I back up and take off. It stutters up to about 10mph, shift to second stutters a little more, then fine after that. Not exceeding 2000 rpm's either.

I've not had a car this temperamental about warmup since a really old VW beetle with a carburetor! :) My old Pop never did this either; I'm not trying to blast down the road, just drive so it doesn't look like first day with the new clutch foot... stutter is annoying don't ya think?

I have been trying to figure out how to 'waste' 30 seconds before driving off... for sure the cold idle is considerably higher than the Pop was, 1500 or so where the Pop was just 1k

shadowshaggy
12-18-2013, 05:07 PM
Yeah, it's generally compression related as to what the cold/fast idle is. My last car had factory 10.5-1 and had a higher cold/fast idle after opening up the exhaust and intake. Maybe the mods, maybe because it breathed better idk. It doesn't surprise me being a turbo car, trying to warm up the oil quickly as the turbo relies on it for lube/cooling. As the Pop has no turbo to attend to, lower idle would be correct.

jguerdat
12-19-2013, 08:55 AM
No problem here down to about 0 degrees F. I can't lug the car (under 2k rpm) in 2nd gear around the first corner in the neighborhood at small throttle settings but after maybe 30 seconds it's fine.

ukeluthier
12-19-2013, 12:30 PM
No problem here down to about 0 degrees F. I can't lug the car (under 2k rpm) in 2nd gear around the first corner in the neighborhood at small throttle settings but after maybe 30 seconds it's fine.

That's exactly my experience as well, although it seems better in Sport mode in that regard.

jguerdat
12-20-2013, 02:37 PM
Agreed. I misspoke above - lugging in 3rd, not 2nd although it's probably the engine speed more than gearing. Sport mode does help, as you state.

msjulie33
12-20-2013, 02:42 PM
Agreed. I misspoke above - lugging in 3rd, not 2nd although it's probably the engine speed more than gearing. Sport mode does help, as you state.

My issue is part/low throttle at about 20mph - sport mode makes it worse! :)

jguerdat
12-21-2013, 09:36 AM
In what gear? City/bumper-to-bumper driving in Sport mode sucks. Way to easy to give it too much gas in 1st gear when all you wanted was to move the car a few feet.

msjulie33
12-21-2013, 11:24 AM
In what gear? City/bumper-to-bumper driving in Sport mode sucks. Way to easy to give it too much gas in 1st gear when all you wanted was to move the car a few feet.

My only issue is within the first 1-2 mins when the car is 'cold' ; at that time, completely consistent throttle input results in a jerky car that feels on the verge of a stall, just ... I've forced myself into a habit of starting the car, then doing belts etc to give it a few to drop out of really fast cold idle

I don't have any issues at any other times, sport or not.. guess I'm used to that but city driving always suck anyway :)

Jono
12-22-2013, 10:06 PM
Mine does this too, so may be its 40-50F temps? It does seem to be a lot better since I had the 1st oil change done at Santa Monica (Nov 2013), so perhaps there is an update? Now if I start the car, then open the hatch to put my work bag in the trunk, then take off its usually fine.