PDA

View Full Version : Stage 2 tune, if...

TorkMe
12-16-2013, 05:59 PM
I need to see a show of hands with some options for the Stage 2 tune.

With the separation of the non-sport mode and sport mode tables being tune-able as complete separate tables we were thinking that a pump gas tune in non sport mode and a race gas tune in sport mode might be something you guys want.

Something like:

Non-Sport Mode making 180 to 190 WHP and 200 to 215 WTQ pump gas (premium 91 to 93 octane only).

Sport Mode making 215 to 230 WHP and 240 to 250 WTQ on race fuel (VP C16, VP 100 unleaded, ???)

Or... you guys tell me what you would like to see.

Note that Stage 2 tuning will require... FMIC upgrade, exhaust upgrade, downpipe upgrade (minimum of 2.5 inches for exhaust and downpipe), only recommended air intake systems we have listed and tested for this tune, and throttle body upgrade. These will be "must have" items for the Stage 2 tune.

The Stage 2 tune development will be started at the first of the new year. We need some feed back on what customers want to see as options for the tune. This tune will require a clutch upgrade (eventually), this tune will be aggressive when you hit the Sport Mode button if you opt for the race fuel tune option. We will not be able to opt for an E85 tune option at this time due to the missing e-sensor inside the fuel system, the ECU would never be able to verify the difference if fuel quality and the injectors are just not big enough. We will have to stick with racing leaded or unleaded fuel.

Let me know what you guys think and we might... just might offer something like this up if there is enough requests for it.

Thanks,

John

shagghie
12-16-2013, 06:09 PM
All great ideas, and I love the hardware mod requirements that you've landed on. I would rather the 'sport mode' just be an agressive 91 Octane compatible tune.
For balls out raw speed at a drag strip, a Stage 3 might be warranted...bigger turbo, etc. In other words, I see us moving to a bigger turbo before I see us moving towards a race-fuel only tune, in order to achieve bigger numbers.

This begs the question.. how compatible will stage 2 tune be with a bigger turbo at some point? Sorry back on track: I say 'no' to race fuel requirements for sport-mode for stage 2.

TorkMe
12-16-2013, 06:23 PM
All great ideas, and I love the hardware mod requirements that you've landed on. I would rather the 'sport mode' just be an agressive 91 Octane compatible tune.
For balls out raw speed at a drag strip, a Stage 3 might be warranted...bigger turbo, etc. In other words, I see us moving to a bigger turbo before I see us moving towards a race-fuel only tune, in order to achieve bigger numbers.

This begs the question.. how compatible will stage 2 tune be with a bigger turbo at some point? Sorry back on track: I say 'no' to race fuel requirements for sport-mode for stage 2.

I got your vote...

If you have plans of moving up to a bigger turbo, we will have a tune for that! The Stage 1 or 2 tune will not be compatible with a larger turbo. The compressor maps inside the stock ECU need to be mapped in order for the boost control, fueling and timing tables to play nice. We will also have to adjust the torque slip for each gear to adjust for turbo spool time and throttle response. More or less... a whole new tune.

shadowshaggy
12-16-2013, 06:30 PM
There's a set of E85 injectors available for this car already: http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?6754-E85-on-the-Abarth-so-far-so-good & http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=ATP-FIAT-004&Category_Code=FIAT

So invent an E85 tune, there's a set of already larger injectors designed for the car. If I've said something blasphemous then I would like a plausible explanation please.

opiateESP
12-16-2013, 07:02 PM

I agree with shaggie. It probably wouldn't be my choice for a stage two tune.

I do think a 100 octane tune sounds great as a custom/off-road use type of option.

TorkMe
12-16-2013, 11:11 PM
There's a set of E85 injectors available for this car already: http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?6754-E85-on-the-Abarth-so-far-so-good & http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=tp&Product_Code=ATP-FIAT-004&Category_Code=FIAT

So invent an E85 tune, there's a set of already larger injectors designed for the car. If I've said something blasphemous then I would like a plausible explanation please.

You would have to run on E85 all the time no matter what tune you were using. There is not an e-sensor on the car and we cannot differentiate from E85 and regular fuel when you hit the button or swap tunes. If there were a e-sensor on the car, then we could get you a tune that used the larger injectors and allowed for something like this.

If anyone wants an E85 only tune with larger injectors I would be more than willing to start working on something like this.

shadowshaggy
12-16-2013, 11:18 PM
That kinda goes without saying though, your not gonna run E85 sometimes if you wanted an E85 tune.....well normal people would run it permanently for such a tune anyways. The real question here, what is the power difference between 93 and E85 on the stage 1 or stage 2 tune? Interesting proposition for you TorkMe. For the E85 converts, what do you think of such a thing? There's none convient to me otherwise I would be on this project.

charliesheen
12-17-2013, 02:02 AM
+1 on the 91/93 sport mode

TorkMe
12-17-2013, 03:17 AM
That kinda goes without saying though, your not gonna run E85 sometimes if you wanted an E85 tune.....well normal people would run it permanently for such a tune anyways. The real question here, what is the power difference between 93 and E85 on the stage 1 or stage 2 tune? Interesting proposition for you TorkMe. For the E85 converts, what do you think of such a thing? There's none convient to me otherwise I would be on this project.

The power gains for Stage 1 wouldn't be anything due to the limiters being in play, so E85 would be pointless for that tune. For the Stage 2 tune, I really don't know... it could be very beneficial or it could be a waste of time. Only time will tell if its something we can benefit from. Looks like the Stage 2 tune will require some additional work on my part.

TorkMe
12-17-2013, 03:17 AM
+1 on the 91/93 sport mode

We could do that very easy... that might be another option for those wanting to run the Stage 2 tune.