PDA

View Full Version : sway bar or brace bar

zyxelenator
12-16-2013, 04:34 PM
It could be asked before and I may mix up names, but one of my Christmas presents will be a part for my 500T. I were thinking of getting one of the bars. I know it is better to have all of them at same time, but what would you recommend getting first: upper front sway bar (under hood),lower front brace bar(will I hit speed bumps with lowered car?), or rear brace bar?

Gigante
12-16-2013, 04:49 PM
Hello Zyxelenator,

Definitely go with the rear lower sway bar from RRMS. It really settled the rear quite nicely on our 500c. I know it will do the same for your 500T. If you lower the car the front bottom brace may become a concern. Anyway, good luck with your purchase and don't forget to check the classifieds for some potential great deals on some of these parts.:smile:

Gigante

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fup3h7svlduo1lr/G5cRREX%20copy.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oxv1jtlfufdzp4c/EMMA.JPG

SeaDawg
12-16-2013, 05:50 PM
Agree as T has same suspension as Sport...DEFINITELY a Rear Anti-Sway Bar. I have the one from RR but NeuSpeed also makes one and possibly others that I'm not aware of.

FTY
12-16-2013, 05:55 PM
+3 For the Rear torsion Bar One of the best bangs for the buck on the 500T, It will keep that rear-end a bit more level and allow for more rotation..plus it will dial out a bit of that un-settled rear under cornering and un-even pavement.

lammie200
12-16-2013, 05:56 PM
I agree with the others. You will notice the effects of the rear bar much more so than the others that you are considering. Also you have a T. I think that either the Big Red RRM bar or the STS bar will fit your car. It doesn't have bar mounts now, so you won't be able to just get a bar like the Neu-F. Also, if you really want some results on the front end you will probably need to move up to a Neu-F front sway bar. And like you said, the RRM front under body bar will get smashed frequently on a daily driver. Probably best for a track car.

Tweak
12-16-2013, 10:05 PM
Just like the others... Rear Torsion Bar, I have the RRM offering (on my Abarth) but I hear they are all good choices, since you have a T so you're option limited since it requires mounting brackets.
(The Abarth has factory mounting options).

zyxelenator
12-17-2013, 12:05 AM
Thanks guys, I will probably go with one that madness offers made by ST/KW. RRM rear one seems to hardcore for a DD and more expensive. I will get upper front one later on from RRM since my intake will fit under it for sure.

lammie200
12-17-2013, 04:14 AM
Thanks guys, I will probably go with one that madness offers made by ST/KW...
FWIW I like the ST bar. It was an easy install on a lift and priced reasonably. I noticed the difference right away.

zyxelenator
12-20-2013, 01:50 PM
Did install involved drilling? I ordered ST one last night.

Tweak
12-20-2013, 07:29 PM

According to the review here you will need to do some drilling... http://shop.500madness.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=266&product_id=1879

lammie200
12-21-2013, 12:35 AM

Yep. There are two bolt holes that exist on the shock mount perches. Bolt the bar to them and use the remaining holes in the bar to set the drill to drill the two others. Use cutting oil, or WD-40, to help the drill bit. After I did that on mine I removed everything, cleaned it up and painted the raw metal. It will much easier to do all of this on a lift versus on jack stands unless you have a decent right angle drill. Good luck!

zyxelenator
12-21-2013, 03:01 AM
Mmm, no air tools. Will try on jackstands on highest (thanks God I bought floor jack, stock one sucks) and Li-On Bosch drill, or 110v hammer drill. I'm not fat, so should fit under the car :)

FTY
12-23-2013, 11:46 PM
Mmm, no air tools. Will try on jackstands on highest (thanks God I bought floor jack, stock one sucks) and Li-On Bosch drill, or 110v hammer drill. I'm not fat, so should fit under the car :)

Wear some glasses too, metal in your eye will damper your day...not fun.

mr_robs
12-28-2013, 04:52 AM
Yep. There are two bolt holes that exist on the shock mount perches. Bolt the bar to them and use the remaining holes in the bar to set the drill to drill the two others. Use cutting oil, or WD-40, to help the drill bit. After I did that on mine I removed everything, cleaned it up and painted the raw metal. It will much easier to do all of this on a lift versus on jack stands unless you have a decent right angle drill. Good luck!

Did this exact install process for the rear bar on my friends pop the other day at a DIY shop on a lift. Cost us $46 for an hour and a half of lift time with all tools provided. So worth it for how much easier it was then trying to do it on jackstands.

lammie200
12-28-2013, 02:24 PM
Did this exact install process for the rear bar on my friends pop the other day at a DIY shop on a lift. Cost us $46 for an hour and a half of lift time with all tools provided. So worth it for how much easier it was then trying to do it on jackstands.

Did you go to Lifted in Fremont? That is where I have been going. Nice guys. The worst was when they accidentally jacked one of their customer's BMW 740iL's doors while they had it on one of their lifts. They lowered it without noticing that there was a tranny stand under the corner of the door while it was open. Needless to say I worked in silence most of that day.

Also, I found out a few weeks back that a former client was discovered in his garage a week after he started working on his car while on jack stands in his garage. Fell off the stands and crushed him to death. I will gladly pay the money to rent a lift.

zyxelenator
01-03-2014, 06:00 PM
Just got rear bar installed. I must say wow! Rear end feels so much more solid. Cornering is better, and it actually improved my ride with my lowering springs, less jumping and harsh feel in the back over RR crossings and crappy roads. A must have item for those who does not have it yet.

Tweak
01-03-2014, 07:55 PM
Just got rear bar installed. I must say wow! Rear end feels so much more solid. Cornering is better, and it actually improved my ride with my lowering springs, less jumping and harsh feel in the back over RR crossings and crappy roads. A must have item for those who does not have it yet.

Higher speeds and hard braking also improve a lot as you'll quickly notice. :)

You'll enjoy the Dragon even more come spring.

Nero12
01-03-2014, 09:18 PM
The rear sway bar made a big difference on mine too. Definitely made the Dragon a lot more fun. Even with a Pop I had a blast

Tweak
01-03-2014, 11:59 PM
The rear sway bar made a big difference on mine too. Definitely made the Dragon a lot more fun. Even with a Pop I had a blast

It was fun passing you...sorry, it was though. :D

Now go get that Abarth you know you still want so badly!!!

Nero12
01-04-2014, 12:13 AM
I really would like the Abarth Cabrio. May have to wait another year to get mine paid down more but it still is in the back of my mind.

mr_robs
01-04-2014, 12:49 AM
Did you go to Lifted in Fremont? That is where I have been going. Nice guys. The worst was when they accidentally jacked one of their customer's BMW 740iL's doors while they had it on one of their lifts. They lowered it without noticing that there was a tranny stand under the corner of the door while it was open. Needless to say I worked in silence most of that day.

Also, I found out a few weeks back that a former client was discovered in his garage a week after he started working on his car while on jack stands in his garage. Fell off the stands and crushed him to death. I will gladly pay the money to rent a lift.

Yikes! Thats not good. We went to Pit Row in santa clara, great shop with helpful owners and plenty of space!

modular
01-04-2014, 08:33 AM

I would also suggest the KONI yellow rears to accompany the rear bar. That makes it even smoother and under control as the KONI's have better valving for the lower springs and are rebound adjustable.

lammie200
01-04-2014, 12:52 PM
Yikes! Thats not good. We went to Pit Row in santa clara, great shop with helpful owners and plenty of space!

Cool. I may try them out as well. The guys at Lifted are great, too. They made right with the owner of the BMW at their own expense. It took them a week to get a replacement door. I am not sure that a body shop would have had it sorted so quickly. Perfect color match and fit, too.

I need to go somewhere to install my Koni's and a couple of other things. I have been told to set the Koni's at the softest level for a couple hundred miles, so it looks like I may be going back a couple more times at least. Might try Pit Row just to establish another relationship and get that first time discount.

RoadRace
01-10-2014, 04:21 PM
A rear anit swaybar will have the most impact on these cars. Swaybars work in relationship with each other. The best approach to take is to do the rear anti swaybar only. This will solve understeer issues at low and medium speed and stabilize the car at higher speeds. We have proven this over and over at the track and even got an opportunity for Bilstein engineers to validate how good our bar was working for them when we joined to do testing last year on coilover systems that are now on the market and in particular for B-SPEC racing.

ROAD/RACE