PDA

View Full Version : Newest issue - check engine light is on

Stacey Willard
12-12-2013, 11:29 PM
My check engine light came on today as I was pulling out of my driveway. I'm really starting to question the reliability of this car. It seems like there's always some issue. First the broken piece in the transmission, the rattling hatch, the rear parking sensor malfunction, the electronic center shutting down in mid drive and rebooting itself, the day my transmission acted up by blinking lights and clicking like it was trying to find the right gear, and now this. All in under 5000 miles.

I am really hesitant to recommend this car to anyone after these issues. I have more problems than the 9 year old suzuki I traded in.

Of course it happens before I am supposed to go out of town, again. The last time I went to visit family out of state is when the transmission when out. If I can't take it to visit them again this time, they will question the reliability of the car too.

Sorry to vent, just frustrated!

MikeThinks
12-12-2013, 11:39 PM
Sorry your having so many issues. My 1st Fiat had almost 30k miles with zero issues before I got my Abarth.

Abarth619
12-12-2013, 11:46 PM
Yeah that sucks. It really sounds like you have a lemon on your hands. Most of the members here have had minimal to zero problems with their car. It might be time to contact Fiat customer service and demand some action or you're contacting the Better Business Bureau. Action being they fix the car for good or they buy the car back. You may want to check the lemon laws in your state because your car may be close to applying.

Stacey Willard
12-13-2013, 03:52 PM
Well the check engine light went off this morning when I started the car. This makes me even more frustrated. As with all the issues above, except the transmission and hatch rattle when it's warm out, they have all been isolated incidents and they don't last long enough to get the car in the shop for them to see what's going on.

Abarth619
12-13-2013, 04:30 PM
Well the check engine light went off this morning when I started the car. This makes me even more frustrated. As with all the issues above, except the transmission and hatch rattle when it's warm out, they have all been isolated incidents and they don't last long enough to get the car in the shop for them to see what's going on.
The dealer will be able to tell why it was on even though it is now off. The cars computer should have stored it .

lillo24
12-13-2013, 04:32 PM

hey stacey, you seem to have some bad luck. The important thing is that it is still under warranty. What I would do as far as the electronics no working is reset your ecu. You might have a faulty ecu or something. Remove the neg terminal first then the positive. After go in the car an press the brake pedal until it gets hard. Let it sit for 15 min and then reconnect (+ first then -). you wil see the dash blinking indicating a reset. Refer if you have anymore issues. As far as the mechanical parts going bad that is unfortunately the poor labor they are doing at the plant in Mexico. I know for a fact that the fiats made in italy or europe I should say are built to a higher standard. Lastly bring your car in, tell them the symptoms and let them have it for a week so they can see for themselves- if you can. I had to do this once. Good luck.

Tweak
12-13-2013, 04:54 PM
hey stacey, you seem to have some bad luck. The important thing is that it is still under warranty. What I would do as far as the electronics no working is reset your ecu. You might have a faulty ecu or something. Remove the neg terminal first then the positive. After go in the car an press the brake pedal until it gets hard. Let it sit for 15 min and then reconnect (+ first then -). you wil see the dash blinking indicating a reset. Refer if you have anymore issues. As far as the mechanical parts going bad that is unfortunately the poor labor they are doing at the plant in Mexico. I know for a fact that the fiats made in italy or europe I should say are built to a higher standard. Lastly bring your car in, tell them the symptoms and let them have it for a week so they can see for themselves- if you can. I had to do this once. Good luck.

Reading the code is a good idea before the reset in case it isn't reproduce able again quickly enough for any potentially planned dealer visit. Otherwise completely agree. :)

Stacey Willard
12-13-2013, 08:40 PM
Thanks guys. Do you know if I go to Autozone or Advanced Auto if their code readers will read old codes? If so, I will do that and then try the reset! Thanks!

Stacey Willard
12-13-2013, 08:44 PM
FYI - when I took it in for the transmission they said that my car was assembled in Serbia. I don't know how accurate that is, but what I was told and that's where they were going to have to get a replacement part if they couldn't find one in the US. Not sure where they ended up getting it, but it took about 1.5 weeks to fix the car.

I do have another question, does anyone know if the Uconnect system will ever get an update and if so, how are we notified?

SeaDawg
12-13-2013, 08:51 PM
FYI - when I took it in for the transmission they said that my car was assembled in Serbia. I don't know how accurate that is, but what I was told and that's where they were going to have to get a replacement part if they couldn't find one in the US. Not sure where they ended up getting it, but it took about 1.5 weeks to fix the car.

The studio was telling you the absolute truth, all the 500L's are built in Serbia, at least the ones we receive here in the U.S.. 500's, Abarth's, T's are built in Mexico. And Journey SUV's.

Tweak
12-13-2013, 09:58 PM

I do have another question, does anyone know if the Uconnect system will ever get an update and if so, how are we notified?

It may be a little hit and miss with AA and AZ with their readers but most will get a code, I've had some that would read a code that worked for me but my car isn't what they have listed in the system being odd and newer. I have my dads reader I usually use but I didn't have it the day I wanted to find out the code, won't hurt to ask and nothing to lose so I say give it a shot!

I had a garage use old equipment on my 2012 and they thought I had some issues that it turns out their equipment just couldn't decipher and there was no problems of course when the dealer took a look with their equipment. :)

lillo24
12-13-2013, 11:19 PM
yes to update the blue and me system you can do it without having to go to dealer. Just go to http://www.blueandme.net/blueandme/index.aspx?brand=fiat&lang=en#/support/download/ pick your vehicle and download. Put download on a clean reflashed usb and follow the instructions it gives. Oh and thats good they fixed your transmission. My mistake I thought they where also made in Mexico.

Stacey Willard
12-13-2013, 11:25 PM
I don't have the blue and me system, the 500L has the Uconnect system by Chrysler.

Felnus
12-13-2013, 11:35 PM
I don't have the blue and me system, the 500L has the Uconnect system by Chrysler.

http://www.driveuconnect.com/support/fiat/

lillo24
12-13-2013, 11:37 PM

oh ok the system that dodges have. this might be what you are looking for https://rsur.extra.chrysler.com/rsur/Uconnect.do

Stacey Willard
12-13-2013, 11:44 PM
Thanks . apparently I have checked before as Chrome autofilled the last 8 digits of my PIN :)

Wolfepaw
12-14-2013, 02:31 AM
My check engine light came on today as I was pulling out of my driveway. I'm really starting to question the reliability of this car. It seems like there's always some issue. First the broken piece in the transmission, the rattling hatch, the rear parking sensor malfunction, the electronic center shutting down in mid drive and rebooting itself, the day my transmission acted up by blinking lights and clicking like it was trying to find the right gear, and now this. All in under 5000 miles.

I am really hesitant to recommend this car to anyone after these issues. I have more problems than the 9 year old suzuki I traded in.

Of course it happens before I am supposed to go out of town, again. The last time I went to visit family out of state is when the transmission when out. If I can't take it to visit them again this time, they will question the reliability of the car too.

Sorry to vent, just frustrated!

If it's solid, nothing to really worry about and typically goes away. There is a service bulletin out there on this one already. It's not a mechanical issue.

Luv2byte
12-14-2013, 10:49 PM
Often the CEL is an FYI the system had an error but often corrects itself. This is also in the books, says to wait a few restarts to go away. Of stays on then take it in.

pops
12-15-2013, 10:49 PM
Is this a 500 L Lounge - with Euro twin transmission ? - if so, read the thread I started. similar symptoms... however fix, according to FIAT engineering, is firmware, not hardware. Mine is due to be "flashed" tomorrow.

Stacey Willard
12-15-2013, 11:08 PM
Mine is 500L Trekking with the euroclutch. What problems are you having exactly?

Stacey Willard
01-03-2014, 06:47 PM
New issues starting with the car besides intermittent check engine lights. Now I am having intermittent trouble with the shifter lights (PDRN) flashing and making clicking noises. Today my driver side window auto up no longer works. The auto down does, but not auto up. I'm getting really frustrated and may have to start looking at the lemon law.

slowbird
01-03-2014, 07:26 PM
Sorry to hear about your problems. Owning a new(ish) car should never be this hard