PDA

View Full Version : Strange start issue

Sipde
12-09-2013, 12:14 PM
My Trekking has just 350 miles on it right now, but I noticed in the past week it won't start with first turn of the key. It will crank and crank and not catch, but if I turn the key off and back on it starts right up. It's not been very cold here so I'm pretty sure it's not a temp issue. Any ideas?

Wolfepaw
12-09-2013, 02:03 PM
My Trekking has just 350 miles on it right now, but I noticed in the past week it won't start with first turn of the key. It will crank and crank and not catch, but if I turn the key off and back on it starts right up. It's not been very cold here so I'm pretty sure it's not a temp issue. Any ideas?

I believe this has been brought up before. I know both my 500 Sport and my 500L have this if the temp is below about 40 degrees. I had read somewhere this was "normal" with the 1.4 MultiAir engine.

bryanintowson
12-09-2013, 02:08 PM
This has been discussed on the forum a couple of times. What you are describing was pretty much a behavior that my 500 exhibited early on in my ownership. It never failed to start in the end. After 30,000 miles I have not had this happen in ages. Don't worry about it unless the car actually fails to start one day.

Sipde
12-09-2013, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the replies, it starts fine the 2nd try so I wasn't too worried about. I just thought it was odd. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that has had the condition though.

Felnus
12-09-2013, 05:21 PM
Turn the key to the "On" position and wait a second or two before turning to "Start" and see if that helps.

Fazzster
12-09-2013, 07:25 PM
Our Trekking did it a few times when it first started getting cold out but has not done it again. I would not worry about it.

Tweak
12-09-2013, 08:22 PM
Welcome to the forum Sipde, I think Felnus has a good idea which I'd try, I do this with my own car (when I think about it) and it could help waiting a bit, I'd not wait longer than 5 seconds though.

Sipde
12-10-2013, 04:03 PM
Thanks, I will try that and let you know how it works. It didn't do it this morning for the first time since last week when I started, but it was a bit warmer today.

Sipde
12-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Nope, I tried turning the key on and waiting and it didn't matter. I did talk to someone I know that use to race with a multi-air engine. He says that if it doesn't pump oil up right away it won't start because, well..engines like oil :frantic4yc: That's why when it first cranks it pumps the oil up and then with the 2nd turn of the key it fires right up. I guess that makes sense and since it starts warm on the first turn I can see how that would be here in the cold weather.

Tweak
12-11-2013, 01:16 PM
Nope, I tried turning the key on and waiting and it didn't matter. I did talk to someone I know that use to race with a multi-air engine. He says that if it doesn't pump oil up right away it won't start because, well..engines like oil :frantic4yc: That's why when it first cranks it pumps the oil up and then with the 2nd turn of the key it fires right up. I guess that makes sense and since it starts warm on the first turn I can see how that would be here in the cold weather.

These engines are more heavily dependent on oil that the typical engine and are certainly more sensitive when starting and when running low on oil as well. The pause idea is to prime things (at least in my mind) and seems to be suggested often, works better for some than others I suppose.

Sipde
12-11-2013, 01:54 PM
And it makes perfect sense when it's cold and the oil is thicker too. When it was warmer I didn't see it happening. I'm learning some pretty great stuff here. :friendly_wink:

Tweak
12-11-2013, 02:12 PM
And it makes perfect sense when it's cold and the oil is thicker too. When it was warmer I didn't see it happening. I'm learning some pretty great stuff here. :friendly_wink:

Glad you are enjoying the forum! :cool:

Macuser1984
12-14-2013, 08:54 AM
I've had it happen a few times with my trekking too. It always starts the second time though.

Tweak
12-14-2013, 05:57 PM
I've had it happen a few times with my trekking too. It always starts the second time though.

Welcome to the forum.

Felnus
12-14-2013, 07:19 PM
I think, over time, the car "trains" you to hold the key in the "Start" position slightly longer than you would in other cars. I used to have this issue from time to time but haven't in over a year.