PDA

View Full Version : 17" wheels....tire size and tire brand recomendations?

rnddude
12-07-2013, 06:50 PM
Perhaps this has been asked/discussed before, but there seems to be very few brand and size options for 17" wheels for the 500's. In order to keep the wheel height close to stock Abarth, I am thinking there is only 195-45-17 or 205-40-17 as available options. I will be running a 7.5" wide wheel, and I was hoping to get some feedback on what brand of tires you have found in those sizes (or similar), and how would you rate their performance, price, wear, handling, etc. etc. Thanks in advance, Ron

ScorpionSkins.com
12-07-2013, 06:54 PM
One thing is for sure, I wouldn't recommend Pirelli tires to absolutely anyone. My Pirelli PZero tires started making excessive noise after only 9000 miles (less than six months of ownership). My local dealership verified that my tires have been regularly rotated and that my alignment is within 1/1000th of manufacturer specifications. They determined the tires to be defective, and Pirelli refuses to honor their tire warranty.

I've been fighting this issue for months. Based on my personal experience and everything I've read online, it is my personal opinion that they produce terrible quality tires and have deplorable customer service standards.

Anybody who is readily prepared to defend Pirelli is welcome to purchase my tire set from me so that you can experience the Pirelli "quality" standard for yourself.

As far as other potential options I'll let the tire nuts chime in with their best recommendations, but I've had good results with Bridgestone Potenza tires on my previous vehicle as a DD.

motoraway
12-07-2013, 08:49 PM
Agreed on the Pirelli's for the Abarth. I had a set of Kumho/Ecsta 205-40/17 on her and now a set of Nitto NT NeoGen's. If you go to Discount Tire or Tire Rack sites, you will find plenty of options. They also have some handy tools on their for figuring out what size tire you can fit on your wheels. I'm thinking you should be able to go to a 215-45/17 no problem with a 7.5" width wheel? Possibly wider? Much depends on if you've been lowered and wheel offset.

BTW: My Kumho Ecsta's are for sale attached to a set of beautiful OEM Turismo/Esseesse wheels in the Classified's.

bawight
12-07-2013, 10:21 PM
Several other members and I have the BFG Sport Comp-2s in 205/40R17. I have been VERY happy with them (everyone else I have seen mention them seems to like them as well). They have a similar overall grip to the PZero Neros in dry (much better in wet) but feel much more planted in corners and on rougher pavement (track better on the highway too). The price at Discount Tire was slightly cheaper than the PZeros. I think I got out the door at around $600 with the road hazard insurance. I have rotated them once in around 7,000 miles and have been excited with how little wear they are showing. Noise wise they are slightly quieter than the PZeros. They are on my wife's car as well and offer much better handling than her KDWs that came stock, though I'm sure they will wear faster. I will most likely purchase them again when these sets are dead.

musicsurf
12-08-2013, 12:12 AM
Several other members and I have the BFG Sport Comp-2s in 205/40R17. I have been VERY happy with them (everyone else I have seen mention them seems to like them as well). They have a similar overall grip to the PZero Neros in dry (much better in wet) but feel much more planted in corners and on rougher pavement (track better on the highway too). The price at Discount Tire was slightly cheaper than the PZeros. I think I got out the door at around $600 with the road hazard insurance. I have rotated them once in around 7,000 miles and have been excited with how little wear they are showing. Noise wise they are slightly quieter than the PZeros. They are on my wife's car as well and offer much better handling than her KDWs that came stock, though I'm sure they will wear faster. I will most likely purchase them again when these sets are dead.

I am extremely happy with the G-Sport Comp2's in 205 45 16. THey are leaps and bounds above the Pirelli's that were on the car.

Tweak
12-08-2013, 01:04 AM
I'll throw a vote in for the Kumho tires as well, wore out the stock tires quickly (12K).

DuckDodgers
12-08-2013, 10:36 AM
Love my Pirelli's...no excessive wear at 8k and I'm NOT easy on tires. Also, despite the warnings in the literature, they aren't horrible on ice...that doesn't mean you want to be on ice with them, but I made it safely 15 miles each way without any real incidents.

Crazy Otto
12-08-2013, 11:32 AM
My choice would be 215 40 17 in a "max performance" category as defined by tire rack. Further the tire has to be symmetric to allow flipping on the rim to even camber wear.

I like the yoke ad08. I crave steering reponse.

rnddude
12-08-2013, 12:28 PM
Agreed on the Pirelli's for the Abarth. I had a set of Kumho/Ecsta 205-40/17 on her and now a set of Nitto NT NeoGen's. If you go to Discount Tire or Tire Rack sites, you will find plenty of options. They also have some handy tools on their for figuring out what size tire you can fit on your wheels. I'm thinking you should be able to go to a 215-45/17 no problem with a 7.5" width wheel? Possibly wider? Much depends on if you've been lowered and wheel offset.

BTW: My Kumho Ecsta's are for sale attached to a set of beautiful OEM Turismo/Esseesse wheels in the Classified's. I didn't list 215-45-17 because when I did the math on that size it was a LOT taller. If I had my druthers, I would prefer a 195-45-17, but no one makes that size that I know of. It is starting to look like 205-40-17 is the size that best fits my needs in an available size. I do not track the car, so I don't need really wide. I would prefer a 45 section to give a better ride quality over a 40.

dmvoss
12-08-2013, 01:39 PM
I went with O.Z. 17" Alleggerita HLT Wheels (red) and Continental Extreme Contact DWS 205/45R17. Looks great, rides great and nothing rubs.

Tweak
12-09-2013, 01:02 AM
Love my Pirelli's...no excessive wear at 8k and I'm NOT easy on tires. Also, despite the warnings in the literature, they aren't horrible on ice...that doesn't mean you want to be on ice with them, but I made it safely 15 miles each way without any real incidents.

Weird you managed in ice and you like the stockers... I wore mine out enough at 8K to need to rotate and get more meat up front and then get new at 12K, the one time I was on ice a VERY small incline left me spinning but luckily I had just enough to make it up and be on my way. I guess I am MORE NOT easy on tires...hehe. :D

I know I do not slow for turns near as much as I should or would in many other cars, I'm reminded of that when I drive other vehicles which luckily is rare!

TimAllen
12-09-2013, 01:19 AM
Just got neuspeed rims with AD08R 215/40's on them! Can't tell you how they are yet as I haven't tried them out yet. Sadly summer is a long ways away. I wanted more grip and better steering response and wasn't too concerned with ride or extra tire noise, so I went with the yoks. :)
On looks alone they look a good amount wider! I also don't think their would be much of a comfort difference in reference to 40 compared to 45. Rather go with lower profile for better looks. Just my two cents :)

jguerdat
12-09-2013, 08:32 AM
I didn't list 215-45-17 because when I did the math on that size it was a LOT taller. If I had my druthers, I would prefer a 195-45-17, but no one makes that size that I know of. It is starting to look like 205-40-17 is the size that best fits my needs in an available size. I do not track the car, so I don't need really wide. I would prefer a 45 section to give a better ride quality over a 40.

You need to look at specs rather than just the math. While most tires at least generally follow the math, some don't. I have the Dunlop Direzza Z2s in 215/40-17 for summer tires which, contrary to the math, are only .1" taller than the stock Pirellis. Tirerack called me to warn me about the diameter difference - I had to remind the guy to look at the specs at which time he agreed with the choice.

A slightly taller sidewall isn't going to help much for ride - it's the suspension that's stiff. The above-mentioned Dunlops have very stiff sidewalls but they're pretty much a specialty tire. Most other tires won't make much difference until you start getting into soft, floppy touring all-season tires. ANd going to a 45 series makes your search even harder unless you're also going to add height. There's only one 195/45-17 listed on Tirerack:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?customSizeSearch=&width=195%2F&ratio=45&diameter=17

and it's .2" taller than stock.

abarth&911
12-09-2013, 09:10 AM
+1 on the Dunlop ZII 215/40/17. My Pirelli (17”) lasted 6kmiles, but I did some AX with it. What surprised me beside the added grip that I expected and got is the ride comfort. They actually ride better than the Pirelli. I had the salesman try my car and he said the same, he said that the car ride is similar to the stock 16” but the dynamic was better than the 17”.

Haring
12-09-2013, 10:38 AM
I went with the Kuhmo Escta 4X. Love them so far. We had a little snow/ice/rain last night and the drive to work this morning in it wasn't bad at all.
http://andegraphics.com/pics/albums/userpics/10001/kumho.jpg

rnddude
12-09-2013, 10:59 AM
I went with O.Z. 17" Alleggerita HLT Wheels (red) and Continental Extreme Contact DWS 205/45R17. Looks great, rides great and nothing rubs.
I am starting to consider that size as well (205/45R17) as there are some decent choices in makers for it. I should note that living in LA I don't need an all season tire.

Tweak
12-09-2013, 08:51 PM
I went with the Kuhmo Escta 4X. Love them so far.

+1 Got these and they've been great for daily driving as well as occasional aggressive driving (FOTD) and trips to hit VA back roads.

rnddude
12-11-2013, 05:25 PM
Thanks for all the recommendations, it is narrowing my list considerably. There is one tire not yet mentioned, the Michelin Pilot Sport PS3. Anyone have any experience with this one? I have Michi's on both of my other cars, but not this model. You could say I am a Michelin man...
I was also looking at the Michelin Pilot Super Sports, but it is much more tire than I need or can justify for my driving style.

jguerdat
12-12-2013, 09:06 AM
That's at least partly due to the fact that you can't get the above tire in the proper size. I know that several folks here have used tires that increase the diameter significantly. Unless you're lowering the car with springs and adding power, using non-stock diameters is counterproductive. The big problem, tire-wise, with this car is the small overall diameter for both the 16 and 17 inch wheels. I would have much preferred to have a factory gearing change so that the tire selection was broader.

Robert Nixon
12-12-2013, 10:54 AM
Another +1 for the Dunlop Direzza ZII if you are looking for a summer high performance tire.

rnddude
12-12-2013, 11:10 AM
I had been shying away from the Dunlops based upon the number of terrible online reviews for this model, particularily in the areas of wet performance and tire noise.
jguerdat, I am willing to go to a bit larger tire, as for me I would rather do that then be forced into a 40 or even 35 aspect ratio to maintain tire diameter, and then have to live with the extra harshness of that.
I can get the Michi's in a 215/45/17 which at 24.7" tall is about 1"more than I currently have, but I am lowered and there seems to be enough wheel well room for the extra height. In fact, I would welcome the little bit extra ground clearance they would give. Plus I prefer the look of a "full" wheel well. Still hoping to get any user feedback on the Michi's.

BigT
12-12-2013, 11:17 AM
I've used these tires in the past and had pretty good luck with them http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+Z+II

Robert Nixon
12-12-2013, 12:55 PM
Sounds like you've got your mind made up on the Michelins then.

I know that on line reviews, or recommendations from anyone on line aren't 100% perfect, but I've also seen good reviews on the Dunlops, heard good things on this forum, etc. It all depends on what you're comfortable with, and what kind of usage and mileage you want out of tires for a given wheel size.

jguerdat
12-13-2013, 08:48 AM
I had been shying away from the Dunlops based upon the number of terrible online reviews for this model, particularily in the areas of wet performance and tire noise.

Actually, the wet performance is good for this type of tire. The autocross folks have rated it rather high for wet surfaces compared to others in the same category (don't know about the PS3s) and I have personally driven them in heavy rain with no issues. Wear them down and I'm sure they can hydroplane since they're more of a slick than the lesser performance tires (extreme vs. max/high performance). I don't take reviews seriously unless I can view them in context. Recently I was checking out the cost and reviews of the RFTs on our new Cadillac ATS and one of the reviews said that they were terrible for autocross. Really? A 500 treadwear run-flat tire even has a chance? ;)

The Dunlop is definitely noisier than the Kumho 4X all-seasons I have on for the winter. I barely notice it over the highway wind and exhaust note...

rnddude
12-13-2013, 11:13 AM
Regarding tire reviews from owners....I find them useful, but I concentrate on reviews (both positive & negative) that have the tire in question mounted on a similar vehicle....front drive, light vehicle weight, modest horsepower, etc. A tire review on a Corvette, Viper, Porsche, AMG RWD is irrelevant to me.

Abarth67
01-17-2014, 03:54 PM
Ok, getting new tires and the Pirellis have got to go. Has anyone had luck with Hankook Ventus V2 H437?
They look good on paper?

What is the best 205/40 17 tire out there for handling and grip? I am open.

bradleypiff
01-17-2014, 04:05 PM
Ventus V2s were nice for the few times I drove my friends M3. Little noise and quite durable.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+A%2FS+3+%28H-+or+V-Speed+Rated%29&partnum=04VR7PSAS3&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Not a bad price either for PS All Seasons. I really liked the PS and PSS on my M3.

skyx39
01-17-2014, 05:10 PM
The last summer tires I bought were Sumitomo HTR's. They are cheap for a performance tire, but ha great reviews. They did very well on my WRX in 225/45. I would definitely buy them again. I picked them up for around $100/tire.

Dr. FIAT
01-17-2014, 11:50 PM
Just put Kumho Ecsta AST's on my 17's. Very quiet, and excellent grip. I had good luck with these on my SRT-4. They should be good for 30K miles. And at 70 bucks each, you can't really beat it. Not the best, but perfect for me.

The Pirellis? Started making noise at 11K, and replaced at 15K. Worst tire I've ever owned. At least at the end.... LOL

Tweak
01-18-2014, 12:13 AM
Just put Kumho Ecsta AST's on my 17's. Very quiet, and excellent grip. I had good luck with these on my SRT-4. They should be good for 30K miles. And at 70 bucks each, you can't really beat it. Not the best, but perfect for me.

The Pirellis? Started making noise at 11K, and replaced at 15K. Worst tire I've ever owned. At least at the end.... LOL

I've had these in the past on small cars and large cars as well and they were nice tires especially for the price. Stock wheels saw 12K and half of the set was pretty much shot.

I went with the Kumho Ecsta 4X on my stock 17in wheels and they've been really nice.

I think though Brett is likely looking for a more aggressive gripping summer tire so these although they are High or Ultra High Perf. All Season may not cut it.

Abarthsc
03-10-2014, 05:47 PM
Not performance tires I know, but I put some Uniroyal tiger paw 205/45/17 all seasons on my wifes, she likes them much better than the old Pirellis, much more stable, planted feeling.

Thad
03-27-2014, 10:53 AM
I've had the occasion to drive with the PZeros twice in a very light dusting of snow and I must say these tires are down right dangerous. It was only after that that I looked up the tire info. Pirelli doesn't warranty them for cracking if they have been used in temps below 45 degrees. Why did Fiat select this tire for most of the USA? I liked the Continentals that were on my Prima. They had over 40K miles and were still going strong. They did fine with snow too. It looks like Continental doesn't make a good size to fit 17" wheels for my Abarth. I'll be watching comments to get rid of these Pirellis before next winter sets in, if they last that long.