PDA

View Full Version : Tire chains

Luv2byte
12-02-2013, 11:18 PM
Hubby is pestering me to get chains - we both noticed that there is very little room to put them on, anyone get chains yet? Your experience?

Fiat500USA
12-03-2013, 12:46 AM
According to the European manual, snow chains cannot be fitted to 17 inch wheels. The US manual specifies a 205/55 R16 tire may take a chain, but it needs to not project more than 9mm beyond the tire profile. Below is a snippet from the European 500L manual:

SNOW CHAINS
The use of snow chains should be in compliance with local regulations. Snow chains may be fitted to the tyres of the front
wheels (drive wheels) only. Check the tension of the snow chains after the first few metres have been driven. 17" tyres cannot be fitted with chains. For other tyres (15" and 16") fit only reduced size snow chains with a maximum projection of 9 mm beyond the tyre profile.

I guess you'll have to take measurements to see how they fit. What about snow tires? I use Dunlop Graspic DS-3 in the winter and they hold up well even when I've left them on during the summer.

Jalpa_Mike
12-03-2013, 03:13 PM
Try these.

We used these on our last 2 Saab's. They are SOOOOOO easy to install. Check out the videos on their site too:
http://www.spikes-spiders.com/225-45-17/spikes-spider-compact-style-3