PDA

View Full Version : Flashing Odometer

MTmind
12-01-2013, 03:42 AM
Hi there, I'm new to this forum as I just purchased my 2013 Fiat Abarth one week ago in Spokane, WA. Everything seems to be going pretty well except for the fact that the odometer has been blinking in time with the clock ":" number separation indicators since I left Spokane. While this isn't a big deal, it is annoying and bugs me since the car is brand new with only 70 miles (at the time I bought it) and you kind of expect everything to work correctly when you drive the car off the lot. I did notice that it was doing this as I left the dealership, but I assumed that it had something to do with the trip odometer and that I would be able to reset it when I had time to figure out how everything worked. I was in a hurry to get on the road since I had a seven hour drive which included two mountain passes on the Interstate on the way home to Montana. I was wondering if anyone knows of a quick way of troubleshooting this. I know that the easy thing to do would be to return to the dealer so that they could diagnose it with their computers and perhaps reset it... but, as I stated, I live seven hours away from the closest dealer. I've already tried disconnecting the car battery for about twenty minutes in the hope that it would reset it, but it only erased the clock memory which I had to reset. I tried to disconnect my iPhone from the Bluetooth and then reset that... but it didn't affect anything. I called the dealer and the only thing they could tell me was that I needed to bring it in (not the easiest thing to do for a minor annoyance). I'm upset that they didn't catch this when they got the car ready for me... I didn't know any better because, at that point, I wasn't familiar with how all of the dash controls worked. Any ideas, or has anyone ever heard of this problem? :confused

Gigante
12-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Hi there, I'm new to this forum as I just purchased my 2013 Fiat Abarth one week ago in Spokane, WA. Everything seems to be going pretty well except for the fact that the odometer has been blinking in time with the clock ":" number separation indicators since I left Spokane. While this isn't a big deal, it is annoying and bugs me since the car is brand new with only 70 miles (at the time I bought it) and you kind of expect everything to work correctly when you drive the car off the lot. I did notice that it was doing this as I left the dealership, but I assumed that it had something to do with the trip odometer and that I would be able to reset it when I had time to figure out how everything worked. I was in a hurry to get on the road since I had a seven hour drive which included two mountain passes on the Interstate on the way home to Montana. I was wondering if anyone knows of a quick way of troubleshooting this. I know that the easy thing to do would be to return to the dealer so that they could diagnose it with their computers and perhaps reset it... but, as I stated, I live seven hours away from the closest dealer. I've already tried disconnecting the car battery for about twenty minutes in the hope that it would reset it, but it only erased the clock memory which I had to reset. I tried to disconnect my iPhone from the Bluetooth and then reset that... but it didn't affect anything. I called the dealer and the only thing they could tell me was that I needed to bring it in (not the easiest thing to do for a minor annoyance). I'm upset that they didn't catch this when they got the car ready for me... I didn't know any better because, at that point, I wasn't familiar with how all of the dash controls worked. Any ideas, or has anyone ever heard of this problem? :confused

Hello MTmind, welcome to the forum and I can appreciate your disappointment. I am sure someone on this forum has experienced the same concern as you and or may be able to chime in with some potential solutions.

After your battery reset are you able to set the time, date and other functions? Or does it stay in the set mode, meaning the time or date functions just blink as if it is waiting to receive your input. Just trying to see if anyone on the forum will recognize this concern and chime in with a quick solution.

Hang in there, these are great little cars and there are many on this forum who have experienced many hiccups and found solutions that's what great about this community.

Again, welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase,
Gigante

MTmind
12-01-2013, 02:41 PM
Thank you for your response. Yes, it was quite easy to reset the clock and the Bluetooth has reconnected with my phone and works quite well. I hate to make an issue out of this little annoyance (I just read about how some other folks have endured terrible issues with their Fiats, so I feel I shouldn't complain). I was just wondering if there might be a quick fix. I also saw those posts about the issue on the UK... that's where I got the idea to disconnect the battery and Bluetooth device.

btimothy4
12-04-2013, 05:45 PM
The unfortunate answer is you will need to take it back to the dealer. Mine did this when I switch my stock radio, to a factory radio with Sirius. Takes the dealer about 5 min to fix.

You might try a Dodge dealer and see if they can fix this for you - not sure if the Dart has the same issue or not... just a thought

MTmind
12-05-2013, 02:14 PM
The unfortunate answer is you will need to take it back to the dealer. Mine did this when I switch my stock radio, to a factory radio with Sirius. Takes the dealer about 5 min to fix.

I guess it will have to wait. It's too far to travel just for this issue. I'm kind of angry that the dealer didn't do a better job of checking the car over before they handed it over to me. I think it was on their lot for a long time because when I removed the dealer plates (plastic-coated paper with dealer promotional info in the license plate frames), the paper was very yellowed up to the point of the frame, where it was covered and still white. A few days after returning home, I checked the tire pressure and it was close to 20psi below the recommended number on the front tires and 10psi below on the rear tires. When I lifted the hood to disconnect the battery (when I was trying to reset the cluster info), I noticed the coolant level seemed to be very low... I can barely see the liquid. Is it supposed to be so far below the blue line on the reservoir (when the engine is cold, before being driven)? I read on a different thread that you need to add a very specific coolant, or it will "gel" up if mixed with a different formula. I don't know what other fluids may be low as well as I don't know much about maintaining cars on my own.

btimothy4
12-05-2013, 06:03 PM
Coolant should be pretty close to the line, but I would check it both when its hot and cold. Coolant will expand when its hot so as long as its not empty, I would say you will be fine until you make it back to the dealer. I was told by my dealer that it is a special mixture and it would void the warranty if you use anything else - not really sure if i believe it or not.... The owner manual will show you how to check the oil and stuff, read it over and don't be afraid, its pretty easy to check and ensure that you are in good shape

Tweak
12-05-2013, 08:58 PM
Coolant should be pretty close to the line, but I would check it both when its hot and cold. Coolant will expand when its hot so as long as its not empty, I would say you will be fine until you make it back to the dealer. I was told by my dealer that it is a special mixture and it would void the warranty if you use anything else - not really sure if i believe it or not.... The owner manual will show you how to check the oil and stuff, read it over and don't be afraid, its pretty easy to check and ensure that you are in good shape

Good advice on referencing the manual because often people check the oil incorrectly with this car. I got a call from someone because of a concern they had but when I mentioned the proper method and the checked that way they came to find they were fine.

Additionally, if the paper manual was not included then it should also be reminded that it is a free option if you just call up FIAT and ask for one. ;)