PDA

View Full Version : 500L Transmission Problems

Murraygirl
11-29-2013, 11:35 PM
My husband and I were thrilled to have purchased a 500L at the end of June. I drive a 500, and loved it so much that we wanted to stay loyal to the Fiat brand. As a Fiat "family" so to speak, it has been especially disappointing that we have been experiencing numerous problems with the transmission/gear shift/clutch. The car never seemed "right"; at times the RMPs would drop when going around curves and it felt as though the car would stall. Then, in October, our "check transmission" light came on, along with flashing lights on the gear shift. The "check trans" lights would turn on and off, and naturally, when we took it to the dealership, the lights were not on and the data was not stored....they could not find the problem. We were told to keep an eye on it and call back if it came back on and stayed on. Less than a month later while out doing errands, the car came out of gear, "Gear not available" flashed on the dash, and the car would not come out of neutral. My husband turned the car off, and pushed it into a parking spot. Much to our chagrin, the car would then not start at all! We called the dealership, and the car has been there for about a week now. We were told they have to order a part for the gear shift and it could be two weeks to a month before the part comes in. The most disappointing thing from this whole ordeal has not been the problem with the car; it has been the disappointment from being very loyal Fiat fans/customers and having this happen with a brand new car. Additionally, instead of apologizing for any inconvenience we were told we are the only 500L customers that have had any problem with the car. They have been nice enough, but rather nonchalant in their response. Thanks for any comments or insight.

Wolfepaw
12-01-2013, 05:29 PM
My husband and I were thrilled to have purchased a 500L at the end of June. I drive a 500, and loved it so much that we wanted to stay loyal to the Fiat brand. As a Fiat "family" so to speak, it has been especially disappointing that we have been experiencing numerous problems with the transmission/gear shift/clutch. The car never seemed "right"; at times the RMPs would drop when going around curves and it felt as though the car would stall. Then, in October, our "check transmission" light came on, along with flashing lights on the gear shift. The "check trans" lights would turn on and off, and naturally, when we took it to the dealership, the lights were not on and the data was not stored....they could not find the problem. We were told to keep an eye on it and call back if it came back on and stayed on. Less than a month later while out doing errands, the car came out of gear, "Gear not available" flashed on the dash, and the car would not come out of neutral. My husband turned the car off, and pushed it into a parking spot. Much to our chagrin, the car would then not start at all! We called the dealership, and the car has been there for about a week now. We were told they have to order a part for the gear shift and it could be two weeks to a month before the part comes in. The most disappointing thing from this whole ordeal has not been the problem with the car; it has been the disappointment from being very loyal Fiat fans/customers and having this happen with a brand new car. Additionally, instead of apologizing for any inconvenience we in were told we are the only 500L customers that have had any problem with the car. They have been nice enough, but rather nonchalant in their response. Thanks for any comments or insight.

I think there is more than enough evidence on this forum to the contrary that you are "the only 500L customers with a problem". These boards only represent a small portion of owners, and people with problems tend to come to boards like this so their is a higher representation of ones with problems. Your's is not the first post on here with serious transmission issues though.

Murraygirl
12-02-2013, 07:15 PM
Exactly....I am so glad that I found this forum - I definitely feel validated that I am not the only one who has experienced this particular "snafu". My service rep at the dealership finally conceded that there must be a problem with some of the 500L transmissions because there is a back-order on the parts we need to fix the car. Thanks and I will keep you updated.

pops
12-03-2013, 10:59 AM
Murraygirl
to be clear is this a manual or auto (twin Euro transmission) ?
I am/have had serious problems with the Euro transmission - see another thread.
My dealer has been very active in trying to get it fixed, provided me with a car, paid for a rental car when our trip was interrupted 400 miles from home, etc etc.
However the dealer(s) seem to be stymed by Fiat...

Murraygirl
12-03-2013, 09:43 PM
Pops....I have the 6 speed Twin-Euro automatic. A customer service representative from Fiat called today and asked about the car and repair. I told him we are looking at the end of the year to get the car back. He said that is unacceptable; he is calling the dealership and the supplier to see if he can expedite the shipping of the parts and thus the repair. I appreciated that. (We sent an email to Fiat about a week ago and they were following up.) So we shall see......

szmwpqvz
12-05-2013, 07:13 PM
We are going through the exact same thing with our 500L. Parts have been on order for a month. I hope that Fiat steps up to the plate and helps you out (and me).

jamesreza80
12-06-2013, 03:04 PM
We are going through the same thing as well! 500L dual clutch automatic said "gear shift not available" and then the P, R, N and D started flashing. Spoke to the service department and they said that our car is the first one that they've heard of with this issue (We are in LA). They said it was a shifter assembly problem and that they logged it in that our vehicle is "down". Service department said that they don't know when they will get the parts since it is on back order.
Asked if it was safe to drive and the service department said yes but that we will have the same issue and just to ignore the "check engine light" since it is the shifter problem. Service department/dealer did not offer us a loaner car or anything in the meantime since our car is "down".
Not feeling so confident about driving a car when I can't even back it out of a parking lot or get it to D to drive.
A little disappointed since my wife was so happy when we bought the car and we told all our friends about how great Fiat is. Now thinking maybe we bought the wrong car.

szmwpqvz
12-06-2013, 07:44 PM
You have to give them a chance to fix it and correct the problem. It's very frustrating and makes you question the reliability. It's pretty obvious that the problem is very widespread and I'm sure that they are going to get it fixed. Our car has been in the shop for 9 days so far. They are paying for the rental. I have been told that parts have been expedited for us and should arrive soon, but we'll have to wait and see.

pops
12-09-2013, 08:23 PM
Please look at the other related thread I started on this issue.
to summarize - my dealer said there was a meeting about Dec 4 in Fla. supposedly on this very issue. They have a fix - it is firm ware, not a hardware problem. A FIAT tech. must go to each dealer and "flash" the firmware which supposedly fixes the problem, my 500 L Lounge is due to be "flashed" Dec 16.

I am very anxious to see the experience others have with this fix. I do not believe one car and the limited mileage on that car is a reliable sample to (quickly) determine if this is really the fix - I'd like to see the experience of a lot of other people before I take my car on a long trip with my wife, again.

My car has been out of service since Nov 18, i.e. 22 days so far. My Knoxville Dealer has been great ! I have not been without a car - FIAT of my choice... I hope to get it back Dec. 16... on the 28th day out of service.

Let's all stay in touch on this -

armywife1971
12-13-2013, 01:18 AM
My 500L went into the shop for this issue the Monday before Thanksgiving and I was told it had a part that has to be replaced and it's back ordered. I've already had it in the shop for another issue with the transmission and for the cover for the sunroof, not to mention the dealership put the wrong firmware in the car when they got them and that had to be fixed. I've had my car since July and it has been in the shop more than the vehicle I had before.At this point they have told me the part is supposed to be in next week so I'm hoping to have my car back soon.:burnout:
Please look at the other related thread I started on this issue.
to summarize - my dealer said there was a meeting about Dec 4 in Fla. supposedly on this very issue. They have a fix - it is firm ware, not a hardware problem. A FIAT tech. must go to each dealer and "flash" the firmware which supposedly fixes the problem, my 500 L Lounge is due to be "flashed" Dec 16.

I am very anxious to see the experience others have with this fix. I do not believe one car and the limited mileage on that car is a reliable sample to (quickly) determine if this is really the fix - I'd like to see the experience of a lot of other people before I take my car on a long trip with my wife, again.

My car has been out of service since Nov 18, i.e. 22 days so far. My Knoxville Dealer has been great ! I have not been without a car - FIAT of my choice... I hope to get it back Dec. 16... on the 28th day out of service.

Let's all stay in touch on this -

Stacey Willard
01-03-2014, 10:12 AM
Twice in about as many months when I started the car, the shifter lights (PRND) started flashing and making a clicking sound. It happened this morning and I put it in reverse and it stopped. It took a few seconds to get into reverse, once the shifter let me push the button to move it. My check engine light has come on twice in a 2 week span, and it only stays on for a day. I'm not sure if it's related, but I am really questioning my purchase and the reliability of this car. I can't in good conscience recommend this car at this point. This is all after my car was in the shop 1 week after I bought it (it was there for over a week) because a part in the shifter broke and wouldn't shift into gear.

stanyount
01-05-2014, 10:12 PM
I am sorry that yall are having this problem but happy to hear it is not just my car. I bought my 500L in October and then we bought a 500 sport. LOVE them. The problem is, my 500L has been in the shop twice and I am about to take it back because of the check engine light, check transmission light, and the flashing lights on the shifter. It is also sticking for several seconds in gears. Like I said I love the car and I just wish they can fix the problem. I am looking in to the lemon law sine I have less than 4000 miles and have actually driven it for less than 2 months. The service manager doesn't seem to concerned as it is not a big deal to him but I have bought two fiats and expected more interest in fixing the problem. Also they replaced my shifting assembly, which took two weeks to be shipped. That did not fix the problem.

Tweak
01-05-2014, 10:40 PM
I am sorry that yall are having this problem but happy to hear it is not just my car. I bought my 500L in October and then we bought a 500 sport. LOVE them. The problem is, my 500L has been in the shop twice and I am about to take it back because of the check engine light, check transmission light, and the flashing lights on the shifter. It is also sticking for several seconds in gears. Like I said I love the car and I just wish they can fix the problem. I am looking in to the lemon law sine I have less than 4000 miles and have actually driven it for less than 2 months. The service manager doesn't seem to concerned as it is not a big deal to him but I have bought two fiats and expected more interest in fixing the problem. Also they replaced my shifting assembly, which took two weeks to be shipped. That did not fix the problem.

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear of the problems but I do hope they get things resolved completely for you!

Stacey Willard
01-10-2014, 12:11 PM
Update: Just call word about my car and the check engine light and flashing shifter lights. There was no check engine code stored but there is a tech services bulletin he hoped would solve that issue. There was a code for the transmission for low voltage that will cause the lights to flash. My driver side window auto up stopped working and he said that low voltage was behind that problem too. My battery was really low and the deep cold we had in Ohio made it worse and caused the low voltage problems. So, hopefully now that they have charged the battery my issues will go away.

Andree
01-10-2014, 04:24 PM
Update: Just call word about my car and the check engine light and flashing shifter lights. There was no check engine code stored but there is a tech services bulletin he hoped would solve that issue. There was a code for the transmission for low voltage that will cause the lights to flash. My driver side window auto up stopped working and he said that low voltage was behind that problem too. My battery was really low and the deep cold we had in Ohio made it worse and caused the low voltage problems. So, hopefully now that they have charged the battery my issues will go away.

That's good news! Especially if you have a parking spot for your 500L where you can hook up a charger on a regular basis.

We all do have electric vehicles, in the sense that no battery charge means going nowhere.

And consider your 500L your backup heating...with all the cold across the nation and power outages, having a fully charged vehicle that you could sit in to get warm in during an emergency is a useful.

Having the battery charged back up once at the dealer isn't going to solve a recurrent problem. The cold and driving habits will do the same thing again.

I used to have a car that needed a new battery yearly. I don't have access to an electrical outlet where I park. I accepted the fact that I'd need a new one, all the time, because my other option was to drive the car a lot more in order to charge up the battery. Either way, I'd have to pay, whether it's for the gas and time spent driving the car to keep it charged or getting a battery when the old one poops out. I chose the battery replacement as I would not be putting on excess wear and tear on my vehicle just to keep it charged.

There's a handy video on battery charging in the upper right corner on this page: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Tools-Garage-and-Equipment/Battery-Charger/_/N-2604

Videos like that make me yearn for a garage and tools. Because they make a process simple and easy to understand.

The one used by the lady in the video is about 50-60 dollars. And it could be used on any of the household cars to keep them all maintained.

Stacey Willard
01-10-2014, 04:46 PM
There was nothing wrong with the battery that the dealership could find. They aren't sure why it had a low charge. So I am going to keep an eye on it. It never did not start, it was just a low charge on the battery.

Andree
01-10-2014, 06:31 PM
There was nothing wrong with the battery that the dealership could find. They aren't sure why it had a low charge. So I am going to keep an eye on it. It never did not start, it was just a low charge on the battery.

There was nothing "wrong" with the battery on my old car either. But I could always tell when it was heading south, due to the gauge (which we don't have on our 500s). Just a tiny drop of charging showing up meant it was going to die soon enough. The car would have problems, then the battery would be dead and the car wouldn't start. Would start just fine and dandy with a jump. Would show "okay" at the dealership. And would promptly die again. LOL. Even on my last car, a Honda Fit, had the same problem. Same sudden death, same start up fine with a jump, same "it's fine" from the dealership, same sudden death later.

Do keep an eye on it, but if it does the same thing again, consider the charger.

Andrew J
01-10-2014, 06:35 PM

Hi, I have been going through the same issues with my car. The last time my car lived at the dealer for a month, i asked them about low voltage contributing to the problem since they have replaced every possible component. They said the battery was fine, I changed it the day it came home to a higher output, American made one just to be safe. 1500 miles later and i have never seen the flashing lights or the slow shifting problem. The pump that shifts the gears uses a high amount of amperage when it fires up-I see a full 1 volt drop on my meter when it runs. It runs even when the car is off and you open the drivers side door. I still have had a few problems such as the keyless remotes not working for a day and then working again on their own, the car not cranking at all a few times. When this happened, I open the hood and disconnect the battery for a second, reconnect it and it cranks instantly and starts right up. This is annoying but the car drives fine and i am wondering why Fiat put a quick disconnect on the battery terminal anyway?-convenient right now for me! This car still has software issues that Fiat needs to figure out and hopefully they will real soon so that i can drive the car without opening the hood and rebooting my computer so to speak!

FiatOfTysonsTech
01-10-2014, 08:59 PM
We have this problem all the time, take it in to the dealership if you havent already and you will have to get the shifter module replaced.

blackswan
01-13-2014, 03:58 PM
We have this problem all the time, take it in to the dealership if you havent already and you will have to get the shifter module replaced.

As of last week, according to Fiat Engineering they are NOT replacing shifter modules stating that the fix is firmware/software and not hardware. They further claim that all the modules that were replaced will eventually have this problem come back.

My trekking did not get any new parts, but was told to wait for the firmware... and no date given as to when this will occur.

Now I'm starting to wonder about the battery...because I have seen reports about low voltages. Makes me think that the root cause is indeed the battery.

FiatOfTysonsTech
01-19-2014, 04:22 PM
All i know is that we are still replacing the module at my dealership. i just replaced one on friday.

chily3
01-20-2014, 12:17 PM
I took our trekking in on Friday to have the spare tire installed. While there they did a "flash" update as part of a recall. The automatic clutch seems to be a lot smoother now. Really never have had any of these problems.

blackswan
01-21-2014, 02:59 PM
Went back in to the dealership yesterday because while I was able to engage into drive--I received a transmission warning and check engine warning (and a solid check engine light).
Service engineer cleared the warning and I told him that I believe that I am the guinea pig for not replacing the transmission module, but waiting for a yet written flash update. I mentioned to him about a possible low voltage battery issue (from other message threads here) and he said that it's a possibility, but that his review of codes would have revealed if the voltage was low. Hmmm.
He is a great guy..but my frustration with Fiat is at a 10 right now.

chily3
01-22-2014, 12:40 PM
Push LEMON LAW

Redcolts
01-23-2014, 03:55 PM
Check out the February Car and Driver magazine that reviews the 2014 500L VS. 2014 Soul. Guess what ? During their test drives the 500L shifter lights started flashing and the transmission wouldn't shift ! Needless to say the review wasn't positive ! I just had the shift module replaced (1/21/14) which hopefully resolves the problem. The dealer also scanned my VIN number but there were no "flash" updates. Maybe the poor review will push FIAT to finally resolve this issue.

madison2014
01-24-2014, 11:37 AM
We've been dealing with this issue since before Christmas with our new Fiat 500. I was able to drive it for a couple of weeks with the check engine light staying on, and once in a while the shifter panel lights flashing for about 30 seconds before I was able to drive it. It took two weeks for the dealership to get the new control module in, first they got a module that didn't work, then they got one that did work and we thought it was fixed. The dealership has been great in getting us a loaner while the car was in the shop. We got the car back from the dealership last week after they were finally able to get the second control module replacement. Last night my wife is driving home from work on the expressway and suddenly the "no gear found" error pops up on the the dashboard display. The transmission disengages into neutral. No acceleration whatsoever. The engine is still running, the brakes work, the lights are on, but no gears. She was able to coast to the shoulder, called a tow truck and got it back to the dealership. Thank God this wasn't during rush hour. I stopped by the dealership first thing this morning and they brought it back in first thing this morning to look at it. My wife has been getting tons of marketing survey followup on the purchase from Fiat and she's been quite blunt in her assessment of the situation. Other than this major issue she really loves the car. We've purchased brand new Mazda, Kia, and VW products over the last 12 years and this has been by far the worst problem we've ever experienced with a brand new vehicle. I would urge everyone who is having this problem to report it to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, they have an online form you can fill out to report safety issues, or have a pdf download you can send in via snail mail at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ as I don't want what happened to my wife last night happen to anyone else.

Stacey Willard
01-30-2014, 05:39 PM
We've been dealing with this issue since before Christmas with our new Fiat 500. I was able to drive it for a couple of weeks with the check engine light staying on, and once in a while the shifter panel lights flashing for about 30 seconds before I was able to drive it. It took two weeks for the dealership to get the new control module in, first they got a module that didn't work, then they got one that did work and we thought it was fixed. The dealership has been great in getting us a loaner while the car was in the shop. We got the car back from the dealership last week after they were finally able to get the second control module replacement. Last night my wife is driving home from work on the expressway and suddenly the "no gear found" error pops up on the the dashboard display. The transmission disengages into neutral. No acceleration whatsoever. The engine is still running, the brakes work, the lights are on, but no gears. She was able to coast to the shoulder, called a tow truck and got it back to the dealership. Thank God this wasn't during rush hour. I stopped by the dealership first thing this morning and they brought it back in first thing this morning to look at it. My wife has been getting tons of marketing survey followup on the purchase from Fiat and she's been quite blunt in her assessment of the situation. Other than this major issue she really loves the car. We've purchased brand new Mazda, Kia, and VW products over the last 12 years and this has been by far the worst problem we've ever experienced with a brand new vehicle. I would urge everyone who is having this problem to report it to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, they have an online form you can fill out to report safety issues, or have a pdf download you can send in via snail mail at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ as I don't want what happened to my wife last night happen to anyone else.

I have had most of these same issues. I had my car in a couple weeks ago and they thought it was low voltage causing the engine light and gear shift lights to flash. But it started happening again, it always happens when it's real cold. I made another appointment to take it in and have it looked at again but a couple days before my appointment I get an email from the service manager that they discovered there is a software issue. On the way to the service appointment, my engine light came on again and I got a message to check transmission. When I got there, they confirmed that the problems are caused by the glitch. A district technician came out and flashed the software. I must say that the car drives quite a bit smoother than before. We'll see if it really fixes it when the next cold snap come, but I'm pleased that it's not as jerky / hesitant as before.

VALibertarian
02-03-2014, 06:26 PM
I had the exact same thing happen to me -- but my wife and I were stuck on the side of the road with a newborn in the back.

10 minutes of panic.

It started when the car would not shift out of second gear while driving -- not even manually using the autostick.

I pulled over, turned the car off, then turned it back on and nothing would happen.

Something finally disengaged by itself and it started back up.

The dealership gave us a 500L loaner (an embarrassing billboard car) and guess what? The LOANER did the same thing today so we had to take it back and get a non-Fiat rental car!

My wife, who loved the car (I never cared for it because I was worried it would have issues) is beside herself and extremely upset.

The dealership also let us know today that they cannot replicate the error. I suspect they're going to hand it back to use and say "all fixed" when it reality, it's still a lemon.

Very disappointing when the car is less than a week old!

Stacey Willard
02-03-2014, 06:35 PM
I had the exact same thing happen to me -- but my wife and I were stuck on the side of the road with a newborn in the back.

10 minutes of panic.

It started when the car would not shift out of second gear while driving -- not even manually using the autostick.

I pulled over, turned the car off, then turned it back on and nothing would happen.

Something finally disengaged by itself and it started back up.

The dealership gave us a 500L loaner (an embarrassing billboard car) and guess what? The LOANER did the same thing today so we had to take it back and get a non-Fiat rental car!

My wife, who loved the car (I never cared for it because I was worried it would have issues) is beside herself and extremely upset.

The dealership also let us know today that they cannot replicate the error. I suspect they're going to hand it back to use and say "all fixed" when it reality, it's still a lemon.

Very disappointing when the car is less than a week old!

Mine has been working fine since they flashed the software fix. You may want to have your dealership look into a known software bug that causes check engine light and flashing gear lights to see if that may solve your problem. My studio was Bob Boyd Fiat in Columbus (Reynoldsburg), OH area if they want to contact them about the software glitch.

VALibertarian
02-03-2014, 09:30 PM
Thanks! I let them know.

I also read the new Car and Driver article in which they had the same problem. Fiat better move on a fix and fast. I already feel like this was the worst purchase of my life only after a week.

Stacey Willard
02-03-2014, 09:40 PM
Thanks! I let them know.

I also read the new Car and Driver article in which they had the same problem. Fiat better move on a fix and fast. I already feel like this was the worst purchase of my life only after a week.

Good luck! I was starting to feel the same way. My car was in the studio for over a week, and I had only owned it a week before it went it because of a broken part in the shift assembly and I couldn't get it in gear or get it out of gear. Then I thought everything was okay until the check engine light and flashing gear lights that started. It's only been a week since the fix but no engine light or flashing lights since the fix. Keeping fingers crossed for you.

bryanintowson
02-04-2014, 09:43 AM
When I had some small teething issues with my regular flavor 500 back in 2012, I got on the horn with FIAT Corporate and enlisted the help of FIATCares from here on the forum. They were very helpful in tracking what the dealer was doing with my car. Additionally, they were very helpful in keeping me a happy customer. Jonathan (FIATCares) is a really good guy and will do his best to help out. I'm sure it's been said elsewhere but escalation of your issues willl usually yield results.

Unfortunately for us - our enthusiasm for these cars as rolling art caused some temporary blindness to potential teething issues for such new models. I think it's fair to say that any car that's essentially brand new to a market will have issues like this. The Mini Cooper has led the rankings for years in poor reliability and expensive repairs but people love them.

I hope once these issues get worked out, you will continue to love your car. Stick with the FIAT and remember we bought Italian cars. In a world of cars like the Corolla which is about as beige as it gets, our cars are different. FIAT/Chrysler took care of me and I hope they will take care of you, too.

If any of you want to hear the whole story, just PM me and I'm happy to share.

VALibertarian
02-05-2014, 10:27 AM
New cars having minor issues . . . Maybe acceptable. A new car that leaves you stranded on the side of the road? Totally not acceptable.

I contacted Fiat Corporate and received a "we're sorry and we'll call you today" email in response. They never called.

My service manager did follow up to say its a software issue but an update has to be approved by the EPA. Huh!?!

Since the software flash isn't available, they have to completely replace the shifter that's preloaded with the software flash. Contradict much?

I'm resigned to the reality that whomever is working on my wife's car is a complete idiot.

So it will be who knows how long before the car is repaired and returned. I'm just hoping they keep it 30 days so the lemon law in my state is triggered.

After both our new car and the loaner had the same issues, I'm filing a complaint with the NTSB and working on some other options to bring big attention to this issue. Fiat should not sell another 500L until they fix the transmissions.

VALibertarian
02-05-2014, 10:34 AM
As of last week, according to Fiat Engineering they are NOT replacing shifter modules stating that the fix is firmware/software and not hardware. They further claim that all the modules that were replaced will eventually have this problem come back.

My trekking did not get any new parts, but was told to wait for the firmware... and no date given as to when this will occur.

Now I'm starting to wonder about the battery...because I have seen reports about low voltages. Makes me think that the root cause is indeed the battery.

The shifter modules come pre-loaded with the updated software (according to Safford Fiat -- which I don't have much confidence in). My tech said that the EPA hasn't approved the software update (laughable I know) and that's why they can't do just a software flash.

In reality it looks like they don't have a way to flash the software in the shifter module -- very poor design.

blackswan
02-05-2014, 09:03 PM
Well isn't that interesting....and I'm still in 500L limbo and visiting my dealership weekly due to problems.

guerrafa
03-17-2014, 12:24 AM
My husband and I were thrilled to have purchased a 500L at the end of June. I drive a 500, and loved it so much that we wanted to stay loyal to the Fiat brand. As a Fiat "family" so to speak, it has been especially disappointing that we have been experiencing numerous problems with the transmission/gear shift/clutch. The car never seemed "right"; at times the RMPs would drop when going around curves and it felt as though the car would stall. Then, in October, our "check transmission" light came on, along with flashing lights on the gear shift. The "check trans" lights would turn on and off, and naturally, when we took it to the dealership, the lights were not on and the data was not stored....they could not find the problem. We were told to keep an eye on it and call back if it came back on and stayed on. Less than a month later while out doing errands, the car came out of gear, "Gear not available" flashed on the dash, and the car would not come out of neutral. My husband turned the car off, and pushed it into a parking spot. Much to our chagrin, the car would then not start at all! We called the dealership, and the car has been there for about a week now. We were told they have to order a part for the gear shift and it could be two weeks to a month before the part comes in. The most disappointing thing from this whole ordeal has not been the problem with the car; it has been the disappointment from being very loyal Fiat fans/customers and having this happen with a brand new car. Additionally, instead of apologizing for any inconvenience we were told we are the only 500L customers that have had any problem with the car. They have been nice enough, but rather nonchalant in their response. Thanks for any comments or insight.

HI, if in california, you have upto 10,000 mi or a year to have the lemon law applied to your purchase.
that is, you can make your lawyer to return your car to dealer, and they have to accept it , if they have not been able
to fix and avery, and the car has been in the shop more than 30 days in last months (don't have to be continue days)

Also there is a recall now on the fiat transmission

Stacey Willard
03-17-2014, 09:00 AM
HI, if in california, you have upto 10,000 mi or a year to have the lemon law applied to your purchase.
that is, you can make your lawyer to return your car to dealer, and they have to accept it , if they have not been able
to fix and avery, and the car has been in the shop more than 30 days in last months (don't have to be continue days)

Also there is a recall now on the fiat transmission

In Ohio it's 30 cumulative days within the first year or 18000 miles. It's been in 30 days alone right now, not counting the other times. I have contacted Fiat and they are supposed to be contacting me.

Stacey Willard
03-24-2014, 01:14 PM
This will be week 6 that my car has been at the Fiat Studio. I am working with Chrysler Resolution about a possible replacement vehicle. My car qualifies for the lemon law in Ohio just on this visit alone. We'll see what happens.

Stacey Willard
03-26-2014, 08:08 PM
Finally got my car back today with the new recall software update. Wow, what a difference it is in driving. The is so much smoother than it was before. Yes, there are still some gear shifting quirks but I don't have the hesitation I used to get when accelerating anymore. There were some other updates they did too for cold cranking and radio. However, my radio volume didn't come on once tonight after i started the car, i had to switch to FM from satellite for it to come on, so hopefully that is just a fluke. Still contemplating pursuing the lemon law since I won't know if it's really fixed until next winter and then it will be too late.

Good luck all, I hope this is finally the fix we wanted!

Andree
03-26-2014, 09:45 PM
Finally got my car back today with the new recall software update. Wow, what a difference it is in driving. The is so much smoother than it was before. Yes, there are still some gear shifting quirks but I don't have the hesitation I used to get when accelerating anymore. There were some other updates they did too for cold cranking and radio. However, my radio volume didn't come on once tonight after i started the car, i had to switch to FM from satellite for it to come on, so hopefully that is just a fluke. Still contemplating pursuing the lemon law since I won't know if it's really fixed until next winter and then it will be too late.

Yay! Such good news.

Check that radio, though. Did you have the satellite radio before? Make sure they didn't mess it up!

Jpooncanada
03-26-2014, 11:13 PM

Glad that yours is finally getting out of the studio and back on the street!!! Perhaps you can ask them to compensate with a 'lifetime detailing' on the car. ;)

Stacey Willard
03-26-2014, 11:21 PM
My presets on my satellite were all there and I was listening to the satellite on the way home. THe only problem I had was there was no volume one of the times I started the car until I went to FM from satellite and then the volume was on.

evbruno
03-29-2014, 07:44 PM
Took my 500L Easy (manufacture date is 7/2013) for the recall on Friday, got there at 7:30 AM, left a bit after 10:00 AM.
Here is what is called out on the the Service Invoice:

Tech Performed Factory Recall
RRT 14-025 Radio updated.
RRT 14-026 PCM Updated.
RRT 14-029 BCM PCM IPC updated.
Automatic transaxle Gear Shift Module
Campaign P06 automatic trans axle gear shift.
When doing voice commands in now shows the list of responses in the display, for selecting music, have not played with.
I was not having a driving issues and have not driving enough since yesterday to see if it feels any different.

guerrafa
03-30-2014, 02:26 PM
Those are good news Stacey, hope you got some compensation for the trouble.
Regarding the recall , some issues could even happen with the manual transmission, wonder if I should take my car.
Btw, my car already had an issue with the MIL (check engine) was in the studio for 3 weeks.

Cella
05-27-2014, 04:06 PM
Murraygirl--like you I am (was?) a Fiat customer--loved my 500 convertible and needed/wanted something larger so I purchased the 500L in October. Since February I've had issues with the car jerking , not accelerating when mergining into traffic...all the dash lights come on--DST unavailable, "hill--" not available. IT's been to the dealer 4 times in less than 3 months. I'm going to have to file paperwork for Lemon Law--I live in a town where there isn't alternate transportation, although the dealer has been very good about getting me a loaner car for the 17 days my car has been in for service. Service people finally figured out (they thought they had) that it was one of the "injectors" was not working, so for a 4-cylinder car only 3 out of 4 were working. But, this weekend--again, the same problem! Please respond back and let me know if your car has been repaired....

littlejohn
06-21-2014, 11:42 AM
Murraygirl--like you I am (was?) a Fiat customer--loved my 500 convertible and needed/wanted something larger so I purchased the 500L in October. Since February I've had issues with the car jerking , not accelerating when mergining into traffic...all the dash lights come on--DST unavailable, "hill--" not available. IT's been to the dealer 4 times in less than 3 months. I'm going to have to file paperwork for Lemon Law--I live in a town where there isn't alternate transportation, although the dealer has been very good about getting me a loaner car for the 17 days my car has been in for service. Service people finally figured out (they thought they had) that it was one of the "injectors" was not working, so for a 4-cylinder car only 3 out of 4 were working. But, this weekend--again, the same problem! Please respond back and let me know if your car has been repaired....

Sadly, we all keep reading more and more blog posts from various sources about owners of the 500L having to resort to the Lemon law within their state?

On to the next design for FIAT I suppose. I get the 500, I do, Ok, so it's here, we didn't get the more flexible Panda, but the 2nd vehicle on the drawing board for the US market should have been something akin to the old Spider/2000 at maybe a $22K pricepoint to compete with the Miata. I mean in the USA, that is the vehicle people think of when you mention FIAT, or even something resembling a 128? Life goes on in FIAT world, they'll get it right.

ebinca
07-13-2016, 09:22 PM
Sorry to reply as it has been a few years since your problem with the 500L transmission. The exact same thing is happening to mine. Was towed to dealership. Supposedly fixed, but after picking it back up from the service dept, I drove less than half a mile and it happend again! The service advisor looked baffled - which worries me! Did they ever completely fix your transmission issues? What was the problem? It's just uncanny that the troubles you've had match mine EXACTLY! Thanks so much and I hope things worked out with your Fiat :)