PDA

View Full Version : Upper dash

mule70
11-27-2013, 04:30 PM
Has anyone removed the upper black dash. Mine has a scratch which the dealer tried to repair only to make it worse. The dealer also says that it would cause more problems like rattles and squeaks if I insist on it being replaced. I don't know if it is worth it or not. I would appreciate any ideas or recommendations

Thanks

shagghie
11-27-2013, 04:36 PM
Get a dash cover maybe? I think DeeFourTay may even been selling a nice brown one for cheap...

11-27-2013, 06:32 PM
I haven't removed the dash pad from the Fiat, but I've done so on other cars, and I can tell you the following:

If you want to do it yourself, it's generally not the easiest thing to do alone (it helps to have a friend to help with the bigger/heavier items), and it will involve removing the stereo, HVAC, gauge cluster, misc switches, airbag(s), dropping the steering linkage and in the case of the FIAT, possibly removing parts of the shift assembly. You'll also likely need to remove one or both seats to make room to access the hidden bolts and to physically get the dash out. A trim stick would be a good idea, too, to avoid scratching/chipping trim or breaking hidden clips (causes that rattling later).

If you're having them do it, my feeling is they partially want to talk you out of it because it's not usually the quickest (and therefore cheapest) job for them to do. And they're right - if their techs are ham-handed, they could damage other parts of your interior trim or the re-assembly may not result in a factory-fresh fitment, either of which could cause annoying rattling. But that would be on THEM and it's their job to ensure you're satisfied with your car, so don't let them scare you off.

When I did the dash pad on my Tiburon, it took a few hours and I ended up having to break one of the hidden clips to get the damn thing out. I didn't have the right type of possibly dealer-specific tools to get it out all the way on my own. That said, I ended up with an outstanding fit, I know everything other than the one clip was installed correctly, and I haven't had a problem with rattles or anything either. And I did it all by myself - a helper would have been AWESOME, but it wasn't necessary.

Good luck!

-- Julie

11-27-2013, 06:41 PM
This might help you too, OP: http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?3484-Dash-removal

Abarth619
11-27-2013, 07:09 PM
Never did it on my Abarth, but I did do it on my FJ when I did some painting on the interior. It's wasn't that difficult, and I did not have any creaks or rattles when I finished. I can tell you that I did replace some the padding the factory uses on the snaps and clips to prevent creaks.

If you ask me, if a mechanic can't replace a dashboard and not have creaks after, find someone that knows what their doing. If they can't do something as simple as replacing interior plastics I certainly wouldn't trust them to do any major work on my car.