Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Edit to my post: This morning the car felt like it was misfiring as the low pressure warning flashed on again. I'm definitely going to have to avoid driving...

I see tons of Alfas around here, but I live near wealthy East Coast enclaves. Stevios are especially popular....

For item one, check the gas cap. There is an O-ring that gets brittle with age. Generally a squirt of lithium grease or something similar will refresh...

Low oil pressure + high oil consumpion/leak + unrelated CEL

Hello everyone. I have a couple of issues I would like some guideance with regarding my 2015 manual Abarth. I doubt these two problems are related to...

Tiers already balanced. In what way? Did he just look at the balance weights on the wheel or did he actually spin them on his machine?

Ok... When I did all the work on the front end, I brought the front tires to get balanced. The tire shop told me they were already balanced. The car...

Need a good tire balancing. Run you car by a good alignment shop....

Tell us how you really feel. LOL

Sounds like a bent axle.

Tire shake at 45mph...

Hi all!
I have just completed a rebuild of my front suspension. I replaced both lower control arms, the left tie rod end, both front and rear...

500 Madness lists a pre-2016 T4 head unit, but all the pictures for it show the T2, which practically eliminates the center vents. There are dozens of...

update if anyone is interested

i found the correct transmission, but its at a dealership in washington. im from massachusetts. theyre selling...

Our car is compatible with the idatalink / maestro system but that's only on double din. I have it in my Toyota, it's nice. Too bad the android models...

The 500 Madness T4 is for Fiats from 2016 and up. I assumed yours is an older model since you were considering the Spiral Audio kit.

There...

MADNESS Spring Savings!

Save $70.00 on this Vertical Chassis Brace Kit by SILA Concepts for your FIAT 500.

Improve the handling...

It really depends on where dealers are. I surprisingly see more Alfas than Fiats around here. I have the feeling it is because the resale value is so...

I only ever seen one Alfa here. Since their reintroduction here....

post her car for sale, on Facebook market....

Trekking - do I have a lemon?!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lozz
    • Nov 2013

Trekking - do I have a lemon?!

Hi,

New to posting on this site...I am in Ontario, canada...I got my trekking with auto back in early September, and so far have approx 2600 km on it.

Soooo...I have been having issues with the car starting, the first time the car sat for about 3 days, went to drive it and wouldn't start, completely dead, although all the electrical came on...had to get a boost from roadside, the guy told me it's because it has a small battery...which I know shouldn't be the case! Took it to the dealership and they couldn't find anything wrong with it....also that weekend was a very wet weekend.

Ever since then it starts pretty hard when the weather isn't ideal...this morning our first really cold day was really hard start and then had the transmission light, and engine light came on...they stayed on for awhile, and eventually went off.

I was wonder if anyone in other cold climates have had any problems? Any feed back would be appreciate it! Also anyone driven in the snow yet? How did it handle without snow tires? Thanks!
  • streetsurfer
    • Mar 2013

Hardly a lemon with one instance of battery problems that is yet to be resolved. Did the dealership load test the battery? There could be so many simple causes/fixes. Don't get worked up about having a lemon quite yet. I think various warning lights would come on when the voltage is sub par. I would put a battery tender on it when parked if you are not driving it daily. Maybe it sat for months without being charged or started, prior to you purchasing it, which can tax a battery. In time it can possibly be brought back, or it may need replacing before it's normally allotted time. A good mechanic should be able to sort this out for you. It could be the battery is fine and you have a weak connection somewhere.

Be persistant but patient about finding the cause. It'll happen.

Comment

• Tweak
      Rest In Peace
      • Nov 2012

Welcome to the forum Lozz, no suggestions but I wish you luck in resolving the issues.
      Show us your pride in your ride & win free prizes by entering (and winning) Ride of the Month!

Comment

• streetsurfer
        • Mar 2013

The coldest I've started mine up at so far has been around 14 F. It started up fine, but made a little more noise than usual until three bars on the gauge, four bars being full normal operating temperature. Now that's just as far as starting the engine. I have the manual trans so I can't help with the automatic and warning lights issue other than as suggested above.

When it failed to start and you say the electrical came on, did you notice the brightness of the headlights by chance? If it was low voltage due to battery they'd typically be dimmer and fade even more when the engine was cranked over.

No snow tires and haven't and probably won't be driving it in snow.
        Last edited by streetsurfer; 11-25-2013, 02:03 AM.

Comment

• Curious
          • Apr 2013

Originally posted by streetsurfer
          Hardly a lemon with one instance of battery problems that is yet to be resolved. Did the dealership load test the battery? There could be so many simple causes/fixes. Don't get worked up about having a lemon quite yet. I think various warning lights would come on when the voltage is sub par. I would put a battery tender on it when parked if you are not driving it daily. Maybe it sat for months without being charged or started, prior to you purchasing it, which can tax a battery. In time it can possibly be brought back, or it may need replacing before it's normally allotted time. A good mechanic should be able to sort this out for you. It could be the battery is fine and you have a weak connection somewhere.

Be persistant but patient about finding the cause. It'll happen.
          I think you got some good advise from streetsurfer. A good, hard freeze will drain any battery. Sitting, unused is also not good for any battery. You really should have the battery checked.

Comment

• jabird101
            • Aug 2013

Mine had a defective battery from the factory. This is the second vehicle i have had with a bad battery from the factory and it is very hard to figure out. They charged the battery and tested, all fine. Over the next two days they ran short trips in my 500L and tested it 30 min after parking it back at the shop. After the third or fourth trip they found the battery at less than 50%. They replaced the battery and in the past two months I haven't had any problems. 4 years ago I had the same issue with my wife's Honda. They refused to believe that it could be a battery and had to be something I was doing. I ended up putting my own new battery in the Element, and that solved that problem as well. After two months with no issues I got Honda to pay for the battery that they said couldn't be bad.

Comment

• Lozz
              • Nov 2013

Thanks for the response....the have replaced the battery, and said they are checking a few other things...not sure what they are...will get it back tomorrow, so I guess I will see how it is when I get it back...will keep you posted

Comment