PDA

View Full Version : Rough shift into reverse

Abnormalradio13
11-23-2013, 07:30 AM
So ice logged about 800 miles on the car since I got him last week and so far I love it more than my dart. Only things I'm concerned about is 1-I can hear the gears clunk into reverse. It's not every time but it's kinda loud lol. And 2-when I turn the car on, sometimes my phone won't connect unless I hit the voice command button. Other then that, this car is amazing

jguerdat
11-23-2013, 08:53 AM
Hopefully your rough shirt doesn't rub you raw... ;)

Just asking - how long have you been driving a manual transmission car? Clunking going into reverse is usually caused by not allowing the gears to stop rotating before attempting to engage the non-synchro reverse gear. You can pause for a couple of seconds with the clutch fully disengaged or shift into a forward gear to stop rotation and then reverse (the time it takes to do this also helps). Leaving the car in gear (no neutral) until stopped may be the ticket, too.

If it's not technique, then it may be that the clutch isn't fully disengaging. An adjustment should clear this up although it's also possible that it could be more serious (binding somewhere).

squeeze
11-23-2013, 10:58 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

this is pretty funny! :D

<snip>

To the OP: if you shirt in reverse, things could get confused and messy!

Ducman69
11-23-2013, 11:29 AM

Just asking - how long have you been driving a manual transmission car? Clunking going into reverse is usually caused by not allowing the gears to stop rotating before attempting to engage the non-synchro reverse gear. You can pause for a couple of seconds with the clutch fully disengaged or shift into a forward gear to stop rotation and then reverse (the time it takes to do this also helps). Leaving the car in gear (no neutral) until stopped may be the ticket, too.

If it's not technique, then it may be that the clutch isn't fully disengaging. An adjustment should clear this up although it's also possible that it could be more serious (binding somewhere).
Mine does the same thing, and I've been driving nothing but manual transmission cars for 17 years.

And in my case its not a clutch adjustment, as you can feel that it doesn't engage until much further in its travel.

Doing a search, it appears to be a common issue with this transmission. I might bring it to the attention of the dealership, but the workaround is likely less hassle which is put it in first and just bump a tiny bit forward then put it in reverse. I've never had to do that with a new car before, just on very old machines with poor synchros. From my research, these FIATs have about the quality control of VW. Not horrible, but nothing to be proud of either.

ScorpionSkins.com
11-23-2013, 11:46 AM
http://stickyysweets.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/fabric_softener.jpg

streetsurfer
11-23-2013, 01:08 PM
Transmission and differential fluids are more resistant to flow when chilled and will circulate around and cling to the gears differently then. It seems that as temps have dropped, the frequency of people mentioning this difficulty of shifting into reverse has increased. When it is warmer the gears fall into position more easily and shifts generally take less effort, clash less, and are quieter/feel smoother. Regardless of climate you should follow what has been outlined above by jguerdat (thanks Jeff).

Did you have this card attached to your shift lever when you bought the car? It should have been hanging around it by an elastic cord.

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo346/pasomoto/photo_zps0c4394d5.jpg

If you are following that procedure and still having trouble, it's certainly worth a visit to the shop for inspection.

Tweak
11-23-2013, 02:58 PM
Often the bump to first as mentioned works, I also find that if lucky enough to be on an incline allowing the car to roll a tiny bit backwards mine will fall much easier into reverse, to get around the clashing gear issue and because I find it more natural I hit 4th then reverse.

Oh, Word?
11-23-2013, 05:18 PM
I would say the first two-three weeks of owning my abarth it didn't really like going into reverse but wouldn't clunk it just didn't want to fully engage. Now that I've got around 800 miles on it I've had zero issues.

Abnormalradio13
11-24-2013, 05:23 AM
well i haven't noticed it as much now that it has about 1000 milews on it. and even if the car was still i could still hear it clunk with clutch pedal to the floor. i've been driving a stick for about a year and a half.

RustyPaint
11-24-2013, 05:26 PM
Been having good luck with the let the clutch out in neutral, disengage, 1st, then reverse trick. The other trick is not to have brakes on (parking or brake pedal) and it is more willing to go into reverse. That and I've been leaving it it reverse now when I park. Seems like it is easier to do when it is warmed up.

I'd admit, this is the only manual I've had that reverse seems such an issue (comparing to Mazda truck, GM J-body getrag and domestic, Jeep Wrangler, BMW Z3 getrag, and MINI Cooper S getrag).

mark449
11-24-2013, 07:42 PM
Years of driving dsm's have made it a ritual to go 2nd then reverse.
I do that in mine and have had no problems yet.

Felnus
11-24-2013, 08:16 PM
Years of driving dsm's have made it a ritual to go 2nd then reverse.
I do that in mine and have had no problems yet.

Did you also light incense and make offering to the gods to keep the cranks from arising and walking?

Abnormalradio13
11-25-2013, 01:10 AM
Did you also light incense and make offering to the gods to keep the cranks from arising and walking?

Yea lol I think they heard me lol.

Oh, Word?
11-25-2013, 06:47 PM
Everyone I know with a dsm just always acts like their on borrowed time. I know a kid that sunk ungodly amounts of money into his 1g and I swear every third time he'd take it to the track something massive would break. But those good passes, wow.

Abnormalradio13
11-26-2013, 09:21 PM
Dsm?

streetsurfer
11-26-2013, 09:49 PM
Chrysler/Mitsubishi joint venture-diamond star motors

Ryephile
11-26-2013, 11:43 PM
I affectionately refer to the transmission as the "rock crusher". Reverse cannot be had cleanly without going into 1st first, and it loves to grind 3rd if I shift too quickly. I'll be experimenting with transmission fluids in the future; usually an AMSoil or Redline fluid improves synchro action. I'm also hoping that AAD's engine torque mount improves things when its released, but that's TBD as it's still in-design.

jguerdat
11-27-2013, 07:00 AM
I have few problems with grinding going into reverse. The occasional grind I do get is due to my not pausing for a couple of seconds. I could use a forward gear but it's never been NECESSARY for me. I've learned patience long ago...

streetsurfer
11-27-2013, 11:23 AM
Clutch Brake. Nice addition to future model years?

Oh, Word?
11-28-2013, 11:39 AM
I affectionately refer to the transmission as the "rock crusher". Reverse cannot be had cleanly without going into 1st first, and it loves to grind 3rd if I shift too quickly. I'll be experimenting with transmission fluids in the future; usually an AMSoil or Redline fluid improves synchro action. I'm also hoping that AAD's engine torque mount improves things when its released, but that's TBD as it's still in-design.

Haha have you ever driven a Muncie 4 speed, that's the real rock crusher.

Saxonite
11-28-2013, 03:04 PM
I head this issue since day 1. I have found the if I release the clutch slightly it will get into gear without and grinding. I only seem to have to issue the first time I start the car in the morning or if it has sat all day. I haven't experienced any of the grinding into 3rd that a few people have mentioned. Just one into forth with was completely my fault.

Abnormalradio13
11-28-2013, 04:05 PM
now i have been having this issue since day 1 as well but it's gotten better. but now i have another concern. after the car has been sitting for a while or on a cold start, i can hear squeaking coming from my brakes. my rotors are in good shape so i'm assuming it's my pads. the front rotors seem a little rough but still good. it only whines once i start driving the car. after a while it's gone and doesn't happen again. i'm just going to wait it out and hopefully save enough for the big brake kit

Nicounderground
06-18-2015, 01:13 PM
this is pretty funny! :D

<snip>

To the OP: if you shirt in reverse, things could get confused and messy! hehehehe you guys and girls are funny love his forum !