PDA

View Full Version : Mobil 1 for my Abarth?

Abarthone
11-22-2013, 06:52 PM
Hello fellow!
As a mechanic i always use mobil for my car
What do you thing for my Abarth?

ScorpionSkins.com
11-22-2013, 07:01 PM
Hello Abarthone, I believe Mobil 1 synthetic is one of the officially approved oil varieties. When I performed my oil change at the dealership, they used a Mobil 1 filter with Mobil 1 5w40 synthetic.

ABARTH TAMER
11-22-2013, 07:03 PM
Fiat wants you to use 5-40. Many are ordering Pennzoil Euro 5-40 off Amazon, using Shell Rotella syn 5-40 or 0-40 Mobil 1. Have not tried 0-40 so not sure if that viscosity has any ill effects.

ABARTH TAMER
11-22-2013, 07:05 PM
Fiat wants you to use 5-40. Many are ordering Pennzoil Euro 5-40 off Amazon, using Shell Rotella syn 5-40 or 0-40 Mobil 1. Have not tried 0-40 so not sure if that viscosity has any ill effects.

Scorpion Skins says Mobil 1 5-40, so that sounds like an option (not avail at my Walmart).

ScorpionSkins.com
11-22-2013, 07:18 PM
Some more information directly from the Abarth owners manual:

Engine Oil Selection
For best performance and maximum protection for turbocharged
engines under all types of operating conditions,
the manufacturer recommends synthetic engine
oils that are API Certified and meet the requirements of
Chrysler Material Standard MS-10896.

Engine Oil Viscosity (SAE Grade)
SAE 5W-40 full synthetic engine oil is recommended for
all operating temperatures. This engine oil improves low
temperature starting and vehicle fuel economy.
Lubricants which do not have both the engine oil certification
mark and the correct SAE viscosity grade number
should not be used.

I stand corrected. It turns out Mobil 1 doesn't have the MS-10896 certification. Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w40 does.

I have reason to believe there was a political motive behind the non-certification of Mobil 1, but it may be an issue worth further looking into. A google search shows many other owners have encountered Mobil 1 5w40 being used at their Fiat dealerships as well.

Technically speaking, it would seem the dealerships are in direct contradiction of the warranty maintenance requirements if they are using a non-certified oil. f you really want to play it by the books, it looks like Pennzoil is the only choice.

Personally, I've tried everything from Castrol to Amsoil in various vehicles. I have my preferences, but a technical discussion of the advantages/disadvantages of the various oil brands could go on all day.

DuckDodgers
11-23-2013, 12:53 AM
I'll note that the Mobil One website for the US only shows "diesel" or "truck" oils in 5w40. For regular "auto" oils, 0w40 is the only choice that's thin enough.

I too know of dealerships using Mobil One...in the 0w40. I demand the Pennzoil 5w40. Note that Amsoil doesn't meet the technical specs either, but I believe it's just as good, if not better, than the Pennzoil.

stealthy1ss
11-23-2013, 01:35 AM
I use Mobil 1 0w40 and track my car at Road America and have no issues.

zyxelenator
11-23-2013, 02:54 AM
I used M1 0w-40 at prior interval, with fine result showed by used oil analysis, as expected. Not perfect,but fine, since those engines beat up oil fast.

Abarthone
11-23-2013, 09:28 AM
I'll note that the Mobil One website for the US only shows "diesel" or "truck" oils in 5w40. For regular "auto" oils, 0w40 is the only choice that's thin enough.

I too know of dealerships using Mobil One...in the 0w40. I demand the Pennzoil 5w40. Note that Amsoil doesn't meet the technical specs either, but I believe it's just as good, if not better, than the Pennzoil.

Thanks for all the reply
The mobil one we have in Quebec show on the container 5w40 for diesel truck with turbo engine
But it says on the back good for gasoline turbo engine too
Oil quality and viscosity is an critical factor here cause it can go minus 35 dans la belle province....
I guess if the studio use mobil 5w40 it can"t go wrong?
Merci

shadyabarth
11-23-2013, 10:08 AM
I used M1 0w-40 at prior interval, with fine result showed by used oil analysis, as expected. Not perfect,but fine, since those engines beat up oil fast.

Currently I am using Mobil1 0W-40 as well (i get oil for free at work) and so far so good..(knock on wood)

dart1.4t
11-24-2013, 03:40 PM
the number ith the "w" is the winter rating. a lower winter number means the oil viscosity changes less with heat/cold so a 0w flows in winter similar to how it flows in summer, for a more specific rating you can check the data sheets for pour point. most of the synthetics on the market are either hydrocracked convetional oil, or a mix of hydrocracked oil with "PAO" or "polyalphaolifin" the oils with a lower winter rating either have more pao or more of a thickener on a thiner base stock. i believe mobil1 0w-40 has more pao and may be completely made from pao (other than the additive pack ofcourse)

the multiair system depends on oil to control the valves and without a MAF the bleed down effects the fuel mixture so it must rely on the o2 sensor to make corrections untill it recalibrates. a better pour point or lower w number means this isn't as much of an issue.

the 5w40 oil from mobil1 i see on shelves doesn't have the same chrysler numbers. the 0w40 i've seen either says ms-10725 or ms-10850. ms-10725 is listed in the current dart manual. but dealers have been known to use it.

div2
11-25-2013, 01:07 AM
FWIW I sent an email to Mobil asking which-if any-M1 oil they recommended and the response was 0W-40.

Hangman0327
01-30-2016, 06:11 PM
The quest for Pennzoil Platinum Euro SAE 5W -40 has been fruitless. ..I guess I'll order it online.
Has anyone tried any other brands in the same weight?

Pinecone
01-30-2016, 06:39 PM
The problem is, it costs money to have the oil certified to meet the Chrysler MS specs. Mobil 1 just seems to not care.

And once you are out of warranty, you don't have to care either. If you use an oil that that does not meet specs, while under warranty, it COULD void the warranty on the oil lubricated parts of the engine.

Fabio13
01-30-2016, 11:30 PM
Mobil 1 website picks the correct Synthetic oil for non-turbo 500, 5w-30. If you type in the Abarth it's says oil not available at this time.

Pinecone
01-31-2016, 07:05 AM
The quest for Pennzoil Platinum Euro SAE 5W -40 has been fruitless. ..I guess I'll order it online.
Has anyone tried any other brands in the same weight?

The problem is, they do not meet the spec that is in the manual.

And as long as you are under warranty, you should use an oil that meets the specifications.

blackabarth13
01-31-2016, 04:11 PM
Not plugging a particular brand http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/european/european-car-formula-5w-40-synthetic-motor-oil/?code=AFLQT-EA shows what formulation of oil our cars need. Also meets ms 10850 Chrysler spec which I believe is the updated version of the ms 10725 spec. Our turbo engines need oil with sulphated ash phosphorus and sulfur formulated into it. Higher cylinder pressure and temperatures also.

AbarthDriver
02-03-2016, 06:31 AM
I put Motul 8100 X-Clean in my 2013 Abarth. I got the recommendation from my local independent Volvo mechanic (yes, I'm the nut who strayed from turbo Volvos to Fiat gr_grin) and he knows a thing or two about reliable, high mileage cars.