PDA

View Full Version : 500 L euro transmission locked up after trip

pops
11-22-2013, 05:09 AM
My new 500 L and I went on trip with blessings of dealer. After 7 hours on road the engine light came on along with a "red gear symbol with ! " When I stopped, transmission would not come out of park. The indicator P, N,D lights were not illuminated but flashing as if a short. The next morning all was ok.
The problem was bad enough but the fault symbol is not in Owner's Manual and, apparently, not very familiar to the dealer's service manager. Did not know what to do. Fiat's Road Assistance was great , as was my dealer. Towed to a nearby dealer. Total miles on car is about 500. My dealer is working hard on issue.

Is this a known problem? What is fix ?

Tweak
11-22-2013, 11:50 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Not heard of this as of yet but I do hope they fix things quickly and you continue to update the progress.

Andrew J
11-22-2013, 04:25 PM
Hello, yes this is a common issue with the euro dual clutch transmissions. I have had the dealer replace the whole transmission and the ecu with no improvement. I hope they get to the bottom of this issue as they don't acknowledge it as common- several here have posted about it but under different titles-

Guyg74
11-22-2013, 04:58 PM
Hi Andrew,

I had the same issue happen to me at 760 miles, replaced control module and shifter (it took 22 days over occasions to get it done, was a nightmare). Got the car back and seemed to go fine until the other day when the dual clutch emitted a strong burning smell and lots of smoke in stop and go traffic (2870 miles). I worked directly with the owner of my dealer and informed FIAT customer care (they have a file a mile long on this car for me with the previous problems), so now apparently FIAT agreed to by the car back (according to the owner). I brought it in today so they can verify the latest issue, of which they said there is no fix. I told the dealership that I don't want another 500L because there's a high likliehood this problem is prevelant in these cars. The whole experience has completely dented my loyalty to the brand due to these severe quality control issues. Best of luck to you, maybe your guys will have an alternative.

FiatCares
11-26-2013, 05:16 PM
My new 500 L and I went on trip with blessings of dealer. After 7 hours on road the engine light came on along with a "red gear symbol with ! " When I stopped, transmission would not come out of park. The indicator P, N,D lights were not illuminated but flashing as if a short. The next morning all was ok.
The problem was bad enough but the fault symbol is not in Owner's Manual and, apparently, not very familiar to the dealer's service manager. Did not know what to do. Fiat's Road Assistance was great , as was my dealer. Towed to a nearby dealer. Total miles on car is about 500. My dealer is working hard on issue.

Is this a known problem? What is fix ?

pops: any news of what caused the issue? repaired? Are you in need of any further assistance?

pops
11-28-2013, 12:16 PM
Yesterday, 27th, the service dept. reported to me that Fiat engineering was involved and had "some" familiarity with the issue. The fault lies with shifter and not one of the primary control modules. A new shifter has been ordered. It is on back order. I hope this is indeed the fix. The problem apparently is difficult to diagnose as it happens only in frequently.
I asked about "recall" service mgr. was not sure but said Chrysler so far supplied a "star case". She said the design is new...

My dealer is working very hard and has provided me with car to drive while on vacation...

Jonathan - I am interested in any more details that I can find out about this issue. My wife, in particular, is reluctant to take it on a trip unless we are assured it is fixed.
Your thoughts ?

jabird101
11-28-2013, 12:51 PM
Hello, yes this is a common issue with the euro dual clutch transmissions. I have had the dealer replace the whole transmission and the ecu with no improvement. I hope they get to the bottom of this issue as they don't acknowledge it as common- several here have posted about it but under different titles-

What do you mean by common? I was at the Jeep/Dodge service department yesterday with my wife's Jeep and they have 52 dual clutch darts on the road and have not had one with an issue. I spoke with my Fiat dealer last week when picking up some panel clips and out of the 32 L's they have sold they have none with trans issues. There were fluid pump issues with the first 2500 or so darts shipped, but this was taken care of. Please define Common for me as this kind of statement leads one to believe that most if not all dual clutch transmissions are bad. Even your dealer doesn't think it is common. Yours had an issue, so it must be common? Mine had a bad battery, so that must be common as well.

n00dle
11-28-2013, 05:30 PM
jabird101, there are several members on this forum with the euro twin clutch that have had breakdowns and zero for the manual gearbox thus far at least on this forum.

chily3
11-29-2013, 12:13 PM
Our Trekking (bought 9-20-13) has had no issues of any kind. We have 2100 miles on it. And our last trip averaged 37. mpg.

pops
12-05-2013, 09:23 PM
Apparently my dealer in Knoxville Tn thinks it is a legitimate problem. They are allowing me to turn the car back in and get a manual transmission. For one thing...it appears it is going to be more than a week to get the parts that MIGHT fix it. The dealer could not have been more accomodating.
Also, I heard one of the Fiat district reps had a 500L that the exact same symptoms happened on... engine warning light, and big red gear in display. I also heard there was a big whig 2 hr meeting in Fla of the dealers to discuss this problem. It seems to be a real issue.

jabird101
12-05-2013, 09:52 PM
Sounds like a goid dealer. This is good news. If there is a real issue, I hope that Fiat fixes it. I never doubted that some had issues, I just wonder have seen no evidence that this is a widespread problem.

pops
12-08-2013, 05:06 AM
Apparently the big whig meeting in Fla happened with Fiat and Dealers, I was told the euro twin transmission was "the reason" for the meeting - the fix is not hardware but firm ware. A Fiat tech is making the rounds of dealers to "flash" the firm ware and this will fix the problem....
I will keep this car and drive it locally - not far out of town !

Anyone else hear of this meeting and / or this fix ? I am very interested to see if anyone else out there has this fix and if really does fix it !

Redcolts
12-19-2013, 04:29 PM
I have the same problem with my 500L. The lights on the automatic transmission housing began to flash so I took it into the Dealer. He diagnosed a problem with the shifter and ordered a replacement that will take 1 month to arrive. Car has 2800 miles on it and this is my first problem. Dealer said it was ok to drive so here's hoping !

Andrew J
12-19-2013, 05:39 PM
I have the same problem with my 500L. The lights on the automatic transmission housing began to flash so I took it into the Dealer. He diagnosed a problem with the shifter and ordered a replacement that will take 1 month to arrive. Car has 2800 miles on it and this is my first problem. Dealer said it was ok to drive so here's hoping !

Hello, I am having the same problems. I just got my car back last night after 2 months of attempted repairs, new transmission, ecu, shifter assembly, calibrations, flashes, etc. My car just did the same thing today, I am monitoring the voltage before I start it since it happens upon start up. I just put a new battery in with higher capacity-600 amps. I will report back when I know the car works, Fiat does not have a fix right now, I am afraid. I will be checking connections, etc as the problem reoccurs.

Andrew J
12-19-2013, 05:43 PM
I am sticking with the car as the problem will be fixed soon enough:)I love Fiats and am used to electrical problems- I did see a 1 volt drop when the transmission pump turned on while it was running- from 14.2-13.2 for what it's worth.

pops
12-29-2013, 06:10 PM
My car was "flashed" Dec 16, by a Fiat tech. who came to Knoxville to install upgraded firm ware for the Transmission "module" (in my language- subroutine that controls the transmission). I watched him hook his laptop via a cable to a connector under the dashboard and upgraded the Transmission "module". As my wife and I do not trust the car on trips the dealer has driven it on a couple of 100-200 mile trips.
I now have the car and hoping for the best.
According to the dealer this problem was upgraded several weeks ago to some status then moved over to Fiat engineering where this software was determined to be the problem.
Again... hoping for the best, I know from experience software/hardware problems can be difficult to diagnose and repair, especially when the problem doesn't appear frequently.

Tweak
12-29-2013, 07:32 PM
My car was "flashed" Dec 16, by a Fiat tech. who came to Knoxville to install upgraded firm ware for the Transmission "module" (in my language- subroutine that controls the transmission). I watched him hook his laptop via a cable to a connector under the dashboard and upgraded the Transmission "module". As my wife and I do not trust the car on trips the dealer has driven it on a couple of 100-200 mile trips.
According to the dealer this problem was upgraded several weeks ago to some status then moved over to Fiat engineering where this software was determined to be the problem.
Again... hoping for the best, I know from experience software/hardware problems can be difficult to diagnose and repair, especially when the problem doesn't appear frequently.

This is great news for you, hope this resolves all issues and leaves you with a feeling of trust in driving longer distances.

Redcolts
12-29-2013, 07:36 PM

Thanks for the update ! Hope this fixes the problem that many of us have experienced. I'm still awaiting the arrival of a new "shifter", will keep you advised.

jabird101
12-29-2013, 09:20 PM

I am still curious why this is affecting only a small percentage of the L owners here? I know this car, like most modern vehicles, has a master Body Control Module and then 10 or so other computers that all network with each other through the BCM, so updating the transmission module or computer should solve transmission issues and anything else that computer handles. There are subroutines in software programs, but a car uses multiple computers running on a high speed network, not a single computer for everything.
As an old developer the one thing I know as a rule is computers are rarely, if ever, truly random. In the case of a controls system like a car transmission computer, the program evaluates current conditions and then performs the actions that meet those conditions. How can this affect only a small set of cars? The only way I can see this happening is there are already several versions of the software out in the wild and the issues exist only in one version.

Were you able to ask the tech is there were multiple versions of the Transmission control software in use already?

Andree
12-30-2013, 11:12 AM
I am still curious why this is affecting only a small percentage of the L owners here? I know this car, like most modern vehicles, has a master Body Control Module and then 10 or so other computers that all network with each other through the BCM, so updating the transmission module or computer should solve transmission issues and anything else that computer handles. There are subroutines in software programs, but a car uses multiple computers running on a high speed network, not a single computer for everything.
As an old developer the one thing I know as a rule is computers are rarely, if ever, truly random. In the case of a controls system like a car transmission computer, the program evaluates current conditions and then performs the actions that meet those conditions. How can this affect only a small set of cars? The only way I can see this happening is there are already several versions of the software out in the wild and the issues exist only in one version.

Were you able to ask the tech is there were multiple versions of the Transmission control software in use already?

Oooh, good point. Maybe the people that have had problems can post their build date? One would assume that those built at/around the same time would have the same software.

chily3
12-30-2013, 12:36 PM
Our Trekking was purchased in mid September and so far 2500 miles, city, trip, and one long stop and go with no problems. Did top off the oil with a half of quart.

Wife's daily driver and see loves it, even over her 2005 325 sport which we traded in. Ours is the metallic green. And have not seen another L this color on the road or on dealers lot/inventory.

Adriana De Luca-Iannazzo
02-07-2015, 04:51 PM
See my blog under 500l I'm on the 4th transmission... They still don't know what it is if it in fact the transmission. G