PDA

View Full Version : Venting/spitting.

Deffmikey
11-21-2013, 08:46 PM
I don't know what to call it but I have a 2013 abarth with 8500 miles and when I'm at idle, it sounds like it's spitting. It'll go from like 900rpm to 1100rpm and then it sounds like it's the waste gate venting. At least from what I can tell when i have the hood up and I'm listening. I may be wrong I mean I am not the most mechanically inclined person, but does anyone else notice this? It just sounds like it's venting pressure just a little poof and then it stops for a minute until it revs again. Does this car make positive pressure at idle and is it just blowing off the extra boost? I have no idea. Any thoughts? The car still runs strong, no other issues, still runs great and pulls strong.

musicsurf
11-21-2013, 09:12 PM
I don't know what to call it but I have a 2013 abarth with 8500 miles and when I'm at idle, it sounds like it's spitting. It'll go from like 900rpm to 1100rpm and then it sounds like it's the waste gate venting. At least from what I can tell when i have the hood up and I'm listening. I may be wrong I mean I am not the most mechanically inclined person, but does anyone else notice this? It just sounds like it's venting pressure just a little poof and then it stops for a minute until it revs again. Does this car make positive pressure at idle and is it just blowing off the extra boost? I have no idea. Any thoughts? The car still runs strong, no other issues, still runs great and pulls strong.

Is the a/c running when it does this?

Deffmikey
11-21-2013, 09:29 PM
Is the a/c running when it does this?

Not usually. I'm an open window driver but it will have the same result if it's on or not.

jguerdat
11-22-2013, 08:12 AM
Just an FYI - if the windshield is involved in any of your normal climate control settings, the A/C will be on but no light will be lit. To be sure, use only the lower vents.

Deffmikey
11-22-2013, 03:14 PM
Just an FYI - if the windshield is involved in any of your normal climate control settings, the A/C will be on but no light will be lit. To be sure, use only the lower vents.

It doesn't matter if the a/c is on or not and I don't have climate control I have just normal a/c

jguerdat
11-23-2013, 09:00 AM
No difference - I have just the standard vent controls, too. However, if you select either setting involving the windshield (fully clockwise, windshield only, or the one previous, windshield and foot) the A/C will kick in since the new normal is to always run the A/C when blowing air at the windshield for speedy de-misting (assuming ambient air temperatures allow for the A/C to actually engage). You can test this by idling and selecting one of those positions. Monitor engine speed and sound for a minute or two - you'll hear the compressor kick in and out with the resultant load change on the engine.

Felnus
11-23-2013, 09:19 AM
+1 What he said.

Deffmikey
11-23-2013, 12:01 PM
No difference - I have just the standard vent controls, too. However, if you select either setting involving the windshield (fully clockwise, windshield only, or the one previous, windshield and foot) the A/C will kick in since the new normal is to always run the A/C when blowing air at the windshield for speedy de-misting (assuming ambient air temperatures allow for the A/C to actually engage). You can test this by idling and selecting one of those positions. Monitor engine speed and sound for a minute or two - you'll hear the compressor kick in and out with the resultant load change on the engine.

It happens regardless of the a/c selection, and happens when a/c is in the recirculating selection and when a/c is completely off so I'll just have fiat check it out since it's happening wether the a/c is involved or not.

Deffmikey
12-05-2013, 08:15 PM
Unable to diagnose at the studio, and it seems to have stopped. If it happens again ill get it on video.

BecauseRacecar
01-12-2014, 08:39 AM
(assuming ambient air temperatures allow for the A/C to actually engage).
Potential thread hijack... but, what's the cutoff?
Just curious.

SeaDawg
01-12-2014, 09:47 AM
Potential thread hijack... but, what's the cutoff?
Just curious.

For most American cars if outside temp is below 32 degrees the A/C will NOT come on with the defrost. I don't KNOW for sure that this is the same temperature for FIAT.

jguerdat
01-12-2014, 10:51 AM
Don't know the actual cutoff but it's a bit above freezing, like maybe 35-36 degrees. Otherwise you can frost up even though it's not officially below freezing. If you're old enough, think carburetor freezing of the venturis...