PDA

View Full Version : Questions from a potential buyer

GPezzino
11-13-2013, 12:16 PM
Hello,

I am seriously contemplating the purchase of a Lounge with sunroof. Here are my questions:

1. I have read several negative reviews about the twin clutch transmission: slow at starting, bumpy, etc. I had a (quick) test drive the other day and I thought it was responsive, smooth and fun to drive - in fact I enjoyed it! What is the opinion of people who have driven with the twin clutch for a while?

2. I am concerned that the sunroof may get too hot in thereat of the Midwest summer. What is the current owners' opinion?

Thanks!

Tweak
11-13-2013, 01:02 PM
Welcome to the forum.

I cannot offer any info as I do not own nor have I driven the L.

Mario500L
11-13-2013, 07:43 PM
Hello,

I am seriously contemplating the purchase of a Lounge with sunroof. Here are my questions:

1. I have read several negative reviews about the twin clutch transmission: slow at starting, bumpy, etc. I had a (quick) test drive the other day and I thought it was responsive, smooth and fun to drive - in fact I enjoyed it! What is the opinion of people who have driven with the twin clutch for a while?

2. I am concerned that the sunroof may get too hot in thereat of the Midwest summer. What is the current owners' opinion?

Thanks!

Hello GP,

1) I have the 500L manual transmission (is just more fun for me). About the "twin clutch transmission", what I heard is that the auto one, is not made, let say that way, for american's taste that are used to the "regular" auto transmission. On 2014 sometime FIAT will have a model with "regular" auto one, the reason behind, or the "twin clutch" has some issue, or just to adapt to the market, at least what I saw on a couple or more articles.

2) I don't have the sunroof , so I am no help here. I know that is HUGE, so not sure on a pretty heat weather how would work the termal insulation.

Trystane
11-13-2013, 10:21 PM
Hello,

Thanks!

I don't have any real-world experience on #2 since I don't have a sun roof - honestly I don't think I would get a current generation sun roof from some of the things I've read on here. Having said that though...

1) I've driven a LOT of automatics in my 15 years of driving and I always felt like automatics were.... "mushy" for the lack of a better term. Some better then others but there was always that hesitation between shifting. I fell in love with the twin-turbo clutch on my test drive and 2000+ miles later I still get a hoot out of driving it. It's fast, responsive, shifts smoothly and quickly. First gear is a little clunky but you're hardly ever in it, even at lower RPMs. I really don't understand the dislike for the twin-clutch at all. I think it's great and I can't be supportive of it enough.

Wolfepaw
11-14-2013, 01:08 AM
I don't have any real-world experience on #2 since I don't have a sun roof - honestly I don't think I would get a current generation sun roof from some of the things I've read on here. Having said that though...

1) I've driven a LOT of automatics in my 15 years of driving and I always felt like automatics were.... "mushy" for the lack of a better term. Some better then others but there was always that hesitation between shifting. I fell in love with the twin-turbo clutch on my test drive and 2000+ miles later I still get a hoot out of driving it. It's fast, responsive, shifts smoothly and quickly. First gear is a little clunky but you're hardly ever in it, even at lower RPMs. I really don't understand the dislike for the twin-clutch at all. I think it's great and I can't be supportive of it enough.

I have 9k miles on mine and would pretty much echo what is said here. First gear a little clunky, but it kicks ass from there. I've learned when to back off the accelerator a tiny bit to facilitate a smooth shift.

No idea on the sun roof, I didn't get one on purpose. I've had them in other cars and they are nothing but a pain in the butt.

scap
11-14-2013, 11:11 AM
I have the 500L with the standard and no sun roof but test drove cars with the twin clutch as well as the sun roof.

The twin clutch seemed to work just fine but for me the standard was way more responsive and more fun to drive.

The sun roof lowers the head room in the rear seats too far for me, If you are planning to have anyone 6.00 foot or taller in the back I would recommend the regular roof.

GPezzino
11-17-2013, 11:00 AM
Update. I got the Lounge with sunroof. So far I love it! I didn't hear many reports that the sunroof may generate excessive heat, more concerns than actual experiences. And the transmission? It is different from traditional American automatic tranny but for someone like me who grew up driving stick in Italy it is just about as good as it can get. Thank you all for the helpful input!

Tweak
11-17-2013, 11:24 PM
Update. I got the Lounge with sunroof. So far I love it! I didn't hear many reports that the sunroof may generate excessive heat, more concerns than actual experiences. And the transmission? It is different from traditional American automatic tranny but for someone like me who grew up driving stick in Italy it is just about as good as it can get. Thank you all for the helpful input!

Congrats on your new L!