PDA

View Full Version : Used oil analysis, m1 0w-40, 8k miles 500T

zyxelenator
11-12-2013, 08:58 PM
This is my second UOA. I used M1 0w-40 for a little more than 8k miles. I also added Lubro Moly Ceratec additive. During this OCI I had to add 2 qt of oil. First one I added around 4k miles which was M1 0w-40, second one around 7k miles, Havoline dino 10w-40. This OCI included 2 week vacation in various places in FL totaling 3300 miles of driving, most of which are hwy, or roads with high speed limit. Also it did have a run on Dragon Tail where I pushed it really hard and where it consumed 0.5 qt of oil very fast.
I used to floor my car when I had a chance, almost every day. Now I got wife and a puppy, both of them taking a rides with me often, so no flooring so much anymore.
If future analysis continue to show TBN more than 1 after 8k miles , I will try to extend to 10k miles after warranty expires, especially if I will drive more than 8k miles per year and continue to add oil every 4k miles. Don't take my word, my car has good conditions to be easier on oil, no short drives and almost no traffic, but it still sheared oil down a little even with all that.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3793/10828385156_c8e113b069_b.jpg

n00dle
11-12-2013, 09:45 PM
Looks good. Thanks for sharing. What do they charge for their service and what's the turnaround time? I think I may want to send a sample in for my 500L's first oil change with the factory fill in there and subsequent future oil changes if the cost for the service is reasonable.

zyxelenator
11-12-2013, 09:54 PM
They charge $25 without TBN, +$10 for TBN, I usually get result in 1.5-2 weeks, but I'm close to Indiana(right across the river).

Abarth Phreak
11-13-2013, 12:07 AM
That UOA was no good since you topped with different brands, which altered the data. Please do not confuse "shouldn't" with "didn't" or "may have". I would just change my oil more frequently for about $35 then spend $35 to be told the oil is used. (I do support the data you received though as it is piece of mind in knowing, but what do you really get out of it?) Its just more cost effective to change the oil then to receive the data...then change the oil. UOA is really oil effective for truckers and industrial applications.

zyxelenator
11-13-2013, 01:22 AM
I were in the middle of nowhere and the best they had was Havoline 10w40. Rest was 30 weight or rotella 15w-40. I do uoa since I like to try different oils and compare results. I have more than 300 qt of various oils in my stash. For the normal people- follow olm, top up with 40 grade oil. Dino oil in correct grade is better than none or lighter oil in case of those engines.