PDA

View Full Version : A/c on at every start

Luv2byte
11-11-2013, 08:15 PM
No matter how many times I turn a/c off it's always on when I turn the car back on. What gives? Anyone else do that w climate control?

Curious
11-11-2013, 08:54 PM
Try changing the air flow from the vents to the dash or vice versa and the same thing will happen, very baffling. I'm constantly having to turn off the a/c button each time I redirect the air flow. It's about as annoying as the date. Just about every time I get into my 500L it will tell me that the date is yesterday, or tomorrow. Once every now and then it will get the date right. Built in date gremlin. Built in a/c gremlin.

Curious
11-11-2013, 09:07 PM
Forgot to mention the front defrost. The system makes no sense. Hit the front defrost button and it's a/c full blast to the front window. Who wants cold air blasting in the dead of winter? I never use that feature. Instead I direct the air flow to the dash (top button selection) turn temperature up (hot) and turn the fan speed up high. Works like a charm, like any normal front defrost would. Who ever heard of defrosting a front window with cold a/c air?

Felnus
11-11-2013, 10:16 PM
Every vehicle I've had in the past 12 years automatically runs the A/C compressor while in Defrost mode in order to remove the moisture from the air being directed onto the window. I've noticed the automatic climate control in my 500 runs the A/C compressor whether it is heating or cooling the interior. My guess is that the system is trying to maintain a set level of humidity in the air.

SeaDawg
11-11-2013, 11:27 PM
Every vehicle I've had in the past 12 years automatically runs the A/C compressor while in Defrost mode in order to remove the moisture from the air being directed onto the window. I've noticed the automatic climate control in my 500 runs the A/C compressor whether it is heating or cooling the interior. My guess is that the system is trying to maintain a set level of humidity in the air.

Also helps keep the compressor shaft seal lubricated.

Fiat500USA
11-11-2013, 11:41 PM
Forgot to mention the front defrost. The system makes no sense. Hit the front defrost button and it's a/c full blast to the front window. Who wants cold air blasting in the dead of winter? I never use that feature. Instead I direct the air flow to the dash (top button selection) turn temperature up (hot) and turn the fan speed up high. Works like a charm, like any normal front defrost would. Who ever heard of defrosting a front window with cold a/c air?

As others have mentioned, it is normal for the compressor to engage when defrost is selected. The temperature is dependent on what you select or selected the last time you used the system. My Audi works exactly the same. If the temperature is set warm/hot, the blower fan will normally ramp up once the engine coolant is sufficient to defrost the windshield.

n00dle
11-12-2013, 12:43 AM
I'm not experiencing any issues with the vent buttons or the AC always being on, in fact it's always off unless I turn it on or activate the 'auto' button.

Luv2byte
11-13-2013, 01:09 AM
I have it set to 73f, auto climate control. No reason for ac when it's 50f outside or 60f in my garage.

n00dle
11-13-2013, 01:17 AM
Same here, I have it set to 73 but it stays off unless I turn it on.

Trystane
11-13-2013, 02:28 AM
I think this thread has pretty much been covered but I'll throw in my two sense.

Living in Wyoming, I'm in a very dry state and so far every morning when I turn on the climate control or defrost the AC is always going. This is to strip the humidity out of the air (not that Nebraska doesn't do that well enough for us). I've had it during the day time where I'll turn on the climate control and the AC will not kick on. It's all functioning according to plan. My question is if the AC running during those times makes any kind of impact on the MPG - my gut says yes but my gut also stuffs its self full of turkey so I don't trust it.

As far as the clock being funky - the clock is STUPID without the GPS enabled and you can't enable GPS without the SirusXM option. Makes no sense and really needs to be investigated.

Luv2byte
11-13-2013, 06:12 PM
I'm feeling more & more as if this is a software issue, annoys me to see it in in winter when cold out.