PDA

View Full Version : Is there any HP gain to be made without changing the boost?

abarth&911
11-11-2013, 05:01 PM
I’m asking this because in the class I am running in SCCA autocross they don’t allowed boost change.
See part of the rules here.

The engine management system parameters and operation may be
modified only via the methods listed below. These allowances also
apply to forced induction cars, except that no changes to standard
boost levels, intercoolers, or boost controls are permitted. Boost
changes indirectly resulting from allowed modifications are permissible
but directly altering or modifying the boost or turbo controls,
either mechanically or electronically, is strictly prohibited.

Do just changing the timing, injection etc. for 93 octane without altering the boost will give enough of a change in HP worth the money and time?

stealthy1ss
11-11-2013, 07:03 PM
This is tricky because you can change the boost on the car from the factory with pushing the sport button. If don't go to serious SCCA events where you see people challenging mods then I would just go for it. It's all for fun anyways.

TorkMe
11-15-2013, 11:06 PM
I’m asking this because in the class I am running in SCCA autocross they don’t allowed boost change.
See part of the rules here.

The engine management system parameters and operation may be
modified only via the methods listed below. These allowances also
apply to forced induction cars, except that no changes to standard
boost levels, intercoolers, or boost controls are permitted. Boost
changes indirectly resulting from allowed modifications are permissible
but directly altering or modifying the boost or turbo controls,
either mechanically or electronically, is strictly prohibited.

Do just changing the timing, injection etc. for 93 octane without altering the boost will give enough of a change in HP worth the money and time?

Without changing the boost I can give you 20 WHP and 30 WTQ. If you were a serious Auto X guy and wanted to get an ECU set up for E85 fuel, then I would be able to add even more.

Here is the big question... how are they going to check it? I could get you into a Stage 1 tune with factory rev limiters and nobody would ever know you were running more boost than the factory. Get a tune, run it, see what happens. If they ask, just say nope... all stock ECU. There is no indication on the ECU that would directly lead them to pointing the finger at a modified ECU.

abarth&911
11-18-2013, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the info, 20 and 30 is more than I was thinking possible, and the second part of your answer is worth considering.
Anyhow you need to finish the tune first so I will keep an eye on your progress.
Thanks again for the answer.

TorkMe
11-18-2013, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the info, 20 and 30 is more than I was thinking possible, and the second part of your answer is worth considering.
Anyhow you need to finish the tune first so I will keep an eye on your progress.
Thanks again for the answer.

Not a problem and thank you!